Strength Training before Breakfast?

Options
Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?
I've heard a lot of positive things about cardio before breakfast but nothing on strength training (btw, I'm just finishing up the 30ds and moving onto ripped in 30 + cardio max!)
Should I leave the cardio for before breakfast and the strength training for later in the day?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I do my running in the morning and lifting in afternoon. It works for me. Then I have some fuel & energy before I hit my weights.

I've lifted for many decades and I never had a great session with weights early in the morning before eating. Although I've done it plenty of times just to fit it into schedule when I was much younger.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I can't workout on an empty stomach. Gotta have fuel to push through a tough exercise.

Good luck!
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sounds about right! but im still thinking I'll leave my cardio for the mornings and my strength training for the afternoons. I really want to dip into and burn all that fat that is stored :). I don't think I'd be able to complete strength training on an empty stomach! thanks guys!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In the end it really won't make much of a difference. Work out at whatever times you prefer, fasted or unfasted, whichever you prefer.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

I usually do my lifting and most of my cardio stuff fasted.

After a small adjustment, I found I lift better fasted. Much better.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I also lift in the morning. At first I was blending a protein shake in a blender with fruit and water. Then I started doing fasted training but I found what works best for me is just taking about 30-40 grams of carbs 30-45 min before. It's usually fruit mixed with coconut water or even powdered carbs (maltodextin) and coconut water.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In the end it really won't make much of a difference. Work out at whatever times you prefer, fasted or unfasted, whichever you prefer.

Yep. It's all a matter of preference and convenience. Beyond that, it does not matter.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    I actually did this today for the first time. I'm not that hungry when I wake up generally, so I found myself just eating something to get my day going and then was still STARVING after my weight training. So, I skipped breakfast this morning, and was traditionally starving, so I had a shake and beef jerky after. It cut my calories for the day, actually, and I didn't feel like I was lacking during my workout. Coffee gets me going well enough.
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    thanks a ton! lots of great insight from everyone. I'll try and figure out what works best for me
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference type of thing. I work out only in the AM, so that would be cardio or cardio plus weights. I eat a small banana ( or plain rice cracker) and drink a small coffee before.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I can't workout at all with food in my stomach - gets me sick every time. Whatever works for you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I can't workout at all with food in my stomach - gets me sick every time. Whatever works for you!

Same here. however, I'm trying to fix that. I *should* be able to pick up and go at need. Not worry about rumbly tummy because I ate a bit ago, and go time didn't kindly wait until I had been properly cleaned out.
  • Doylerawmeat
    Doylerawmeat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually do my strength training, first thing in the morning, about 6:30-7am, on an empty stomach, then go home to have breakfast. I found, on a full stomach, I just felt sick. But I know other people who this works the other way round. Like everyone else has mentioned, its all down to your personal preference, and what works best for you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just try it a few times fasted. For some it works.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    I CAN'T. Feel sick if I do it on an empty stomach. But I love working out early in the morning! :) Just have to have a solid breakfast first. I'm hungry after too, but not like starving, so not too different from a rest day.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Won't make a difference anymore than the exaggerated claims bout cardio before breakfast. Concentrating on consistent work will make a difference. Pick a time that suits your schedule best and stick to it.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

This.

I have started lifting at 5:30 am and I'm loving it. However I can't lift on an empty stomach so my go to is bowl of oatmeal and some bacon then I have a good post workout meal before work.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Yep. It's all a matter of preference and convenience. Beyond that, it does not matter.

This.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I weight train. That's just me, it differs from person to person.