Replies

• runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My first half is in November and my first 10k is tomorrow. These are awesome tips.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    1. Half marathons are ridiculously awesome. If you're hesitating on signing up, sign up with a resounding YES! :) You can do it! And if you're like me you'll be crazy glad you did, even if it sounded nutso when you were signing up.

I just signed up for my first half. It was hard not let let my fear get the better of me. I have never ran more than 6 miles at a time but I am trying not to let my brain tell me I can't do it.

And the asthma tip, I try but it is so hard! I am constantly reminding myself to breathe through my nose but after a few minutes I switch back. I will keep working on this.

Thanks! :drinker:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)

Your legs wont work right I suggest you take Exaggerated Strides until your muscles begin to re acclimate. Also practicing brick workouts helps tremendously.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful, thank you.
  • FireballStrike
    FireballStrike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Saving for later - - thanks!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I just want to add something for people who are on the bottom end of the fitness scale as I was when I did my first half.

Don't be too proud. I walked 90% of my first 1/2 and I was ashamed and embarrassed at first, but in the end I'm so glad I did it. Even if yo don't run the whole damn thing, you CAN finish. Everybody who tries is ahead of that version of themselves who is sitting at home on the couch.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I just ran another one this past weekend and got my personal best! I love half marathons. My first race was a full marathon and that one really beats you down, but the half is a great distance. It's long enough to challenge me, yet short enough to not destroy my body! It only takes days (not weeks) to recover and I can easily run the entire distance.

You've got some good advice here. I don't breathe through my mouth when running unless I'm doing sprints and about to die, so I guess I'm doing something right. I'm not big on stretching before runs - I've hurt myself too many times in the past doing that. I warm up by walking. I do like to stretch AFTER, though. My favorite discovery is that strength training (lifting heavy in my case) has virtually eliminated my training injuries and greatly improved my race pace. I definately recommend it. :flowerforyou:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just to add to OP's #10 - be sure to hydrate properly. Learn to drink DURING your practice runs so that you can do it during your half without upsetting your stomach. Staying hydrated will help keep your energy up during the run.

The same goes for learning to eat while running - if you need it. I know a lot of people can finish a half without taking in any energy, but I find that I need gels at about mile 5 and mile 9 to keep my energy up.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Just to add to OP's #10 - be sure to hydrate properly. Learn to drink DURING your practice runs so that you can do it during your half without upsetting your stomach. Staying hydrated will help keep your energy up during the run.

The same goes for learning to eat while running - if you need it. I know a lot of people can finish a half without taking in any energy, but I find that I need gels at about mile 5 and mile 9 to keep my energy up.

QFT...solid advice for half and full marathon runners.
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I signed up for my first half about a month ago, it's in September :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    nice list and good advice!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I have my 4th half in a few weeks and am going to do my first full this fall.

Along with the hydrating tip...GUI and chews work amazing for the really long runs. I didn't use them until the 10 mile mark.

I am also a believer that you should NOT stop training at the 10 mile mark...go for 12! I know a lot of beginner programs say 10 and if your goal is simply to finish then that is fine but if you want to finish strong, go for 12. Sure u can make it at 10 but atleast in my experience, running 12 miles makes you realize what it really feels like to run a half marathon and since the mental aspect is important, just go for it.

Half marathons are extremely addictive and fun! Anyone in doubt should sign up. You will be so proud of yourself that you.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody.. so just an advice.. or a tip . To long trainings runs, more than 10 miles. I do like to run with a hydration bag (like camelbak bag) ...

That keeps me hydrated all the time and I can take my cell phone too to take pictures of some interesting things that happens while I run : P
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My first half is in November and my first 10k is tomorrow. These are awesome tips.

My first 10K is today as well! Getting ready now. Good luck to you!

I'm training for my first half as well, great tips, especially the stuff for the knees! Thanks.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options

My first 10K is today as well! Getting ready now. Good luck to you!

I'm training for my first half as well, great tips, especially the stuff for the knees! Thanks.
    Good luck to you both!
    Let us know how it went :D
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Just ran my own personal 10k this morning (training run) in about 1:05. I may sign up for an official one soon or my just keep training and sign up for a half. That's one other training tip that I think everyone knows - the distance and difficulty is the same if you do it alone or at an organized race.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)

My first sprint triathlon I got a bad cramp near my groin. I had to do the 3K at the end mostly walking. I thought I'd pulled something but the problem disappeared so quickly afterwards I decided it was a cramp. The next tri, I made sure to stay more hydrated, kept up with the glucose packets and power jelly beans, and also got up off the seat of the bike every once in awhile to let the blood circulate "down there". It made a big difference and since then I've been able to run more of the last leg.

Two other tips on tris in case you haven't done them before, both of which will save you about 5 mins. on your transition time. Remember where you racked your bike so you can find it when you get out of the water, and remember to put on your bike helmet so you don't have to go back and get it! Oops.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump