Thinking about moving from Chicagoland to North Carolina

Options

Replies

• C110266
    C110266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do it.

Thank you Gnome. Love the confidence and your pic :). It also portrays confidence :).
  • C110266
    Options
    DO IT.

I am in Northwest Indiana and went to NC a couple years ago on vacation. I stayed in Winston Salem. I loved everything about NC, I thought about staying. I wish I would have. I regret not staying all the time.

Valerie, can you go back? Wow, what a testimony! Thank you kindly. It helps :)
  • C110266
    Options
    I live in North Carolina. I am from Goldsboro, which is about an hour from the beach, and you might want to think about checking out an area near there. Goldsboro is an Air Force town, it's not too big but it has grown a lot, so there are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc., but the traffic isn't as bad as in Raleigh. Greenville is a bit busier, but it's a university town. I'm not a big fan of Raleigh, etc. myself because the area is too busy for me, but if you are from a busy place, you might like it.

This IS true! Traffic is a nightmare!! Good point!!

LOL It's nothing compared to Chicago!
    This is a cakewalk compared to that traffic!

Gosh, what a concept to not have to deal with the traffic. AMEN.
  • C110266
    Options
    Charlotte is a great place to live. Small enough to be small town-ish, yet large enough to have the big city appeal.
    The food is fantastic, the people are polite and pleasant, and there's tons of stuff to do here.

You're three hours from the beach, and two hours from the mountains. What else could you want?!? :-)

ETA I am a Southwest Florida transplant, and the humidity is NOTHING compared to that Florida mugginess!

Great to hear Vjohn4! I was wondering if the humidity was like FLA or not. Glad it seems to be a bit less. Thank you on Charlotte. Sounds lovely. I just want to run over there right now and check it all out! Blessings to you.
  • C110266
    Options
    I live in North Carolina. I am from Goldsboro, which is about an hour from the beach, and you might want to think about checking out an area near there. Goldsboro is an Air Force town, it's not too big but it has grown a lot, so there are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc., but the traffic isn't as bad as in Raleigh. Greenville is a bit busier, but it's a university town. I'm not a big fan of Raleigh, etc. myself because the area is too busy for me, but if you are from a busy place, you might like it.

This IS true! Traffic is a nightmare!! Good point!!

Hi Megdonald1: I am done with traffic and busy. If I want it, I can go to it :). Goldsboro sounds lovely too. Blessings to you.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I live in eastern NC. And we like to refer to it as "God's country"!!!! I love it! I am originally from RI, and although I miss RI sometimes, I am very happy hear! Summers can be hot and nasty, but I have the beach so I am happy. The cost of living is pretty decent. I could really move anywhere I would like but I really love NC and the people! You can't beat it
  • C110266
    Options
    I was going to say California until you said genuine people. Unfortunately people here are high maintenance :sad:

And I say this as I live here, but I was born and raised in NY.

I do have a friend in North Carolina and she loves it. Her husband is a Marine and was transferred there. She said cost of living was decent, and she could get to a beach (She lives here, then in WI, WI she didn't have one). She seems to like it.

I wish you luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

Thank you for your comment Michelle. I love California and really thought I would be going West but have been baffled by nothing seeming to feel like it would be "home" but instead a vacation destination. I don't like high maintenance. I just want a simple life. Thank you and many blessings to you in California. :).
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I say do it!!

We are moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona in 2 weeks!!!
  • C110266
    Options
    I live in eastern NC. And we like to refer to it as "God's country"!!!! I love it! I am originally from RI, and although I miss RI sometimes, I am very happy hear! Summers can be hot and nasty, but I have the beach so I am happy. The cost of living is pretty decent. I could really move anywhere I would like but I really love NC and the people! You can't beat it

Thank you, Watch! Great to hear. I love God's country!!! lol...it's here too in the details. I can't wait to wake up every day and have a landscape to view. Right now i can see the sun behind the trees and subdivision. I know it's out there somewhere :). Thank you for your kind words today! Awesome. Many blessings to you and your family.
  • C110266
    Options
    I say do it!!

We are moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona in 2 weeks!!!

Wow what achange Jules! You can relate. It's odd for me especially because I have been waiting until my kids graduated high school. That happened last Fall and I realized i wasn't quite ready. I am in getting ready mode now and will make the jump. Just planning it now and I am a bit of a "do it 100% or not at all" kind of person. Just lining it up! Thank you for your kind words and enjoy every moment of the move and your new home. I so thought of AZ too! It's beautiful there. Blessings to you and your family. :)
  • C110266
    Options
    I live in WNC and personally think its awesome.

I am a nature girl at heart and love spirituality, holistic wellness, and genuine people. < This says you should check out Asheville NC. Come down for a week and spend time getting the feel for the area, and I guarantee you will love it!

Thank you hisgirl86. I definitely will be checking out Asheville. You guys are so supportive and knowledgeable. Thank you so much for sharing. :) Many blessings to you and your family.
  • C110266
    Options
    North Carolina is a great place to live. Depending upon where you are within the state, you'd be a couple of hours from the vp each and a couple of hours to the mountains. Based on what you've said about yourself, I would recommend the Raleigh area west toward the mountains. The smaller Eastern NC towns may not be as appealing to you.

Thank you for your words Meredith. It helps! I will also check out Raleigh. Seems like I might like it an hour or more off of the ocean heading West to the MTNs. Can I just say I love the mountain views but I am afraid of heights! How lame is that. :) lol. Thank you and many blessings to you today and always. :).
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've lived in NC most of my life, but I lived in Lisle IL for a little while many years ago. With that said...I know a lot of people from other states that live here. The hardest thing for them to get used to (according to them) is the slower pace here. I would suggest you take a vacation here, and see if you're OK being bored. It's not a "boring" state per se...there is A LOT to do. Just make sure it's the sort of things YOU like to do. Not everyone is OK spending the day hiking, or working in the yard, etc.

I adore NC. It's a wonderful state...and because of that, it's getting crowded, so choose your location carefully. I'm happy giving you as much information as I have about certain areas.

Another area you may want to look at, is the Fort Mill SC area. It's right outside of Charlotte NC (a stone's throw, we like to say), and when I say right outside, you can literally see Charlotte from your window in Fort Mill if you live in the right position to be able to do so. =) Fort Mill has A LOT to offer as far as low tax rate, Anne's Greenway (look it up), Carowinds is RIGHT there...and you're centrally located near Pineville, Matthews, Charlotte, and not far from the Huntersville and Davidson area (a favorite area around here for an art excursion).

Good luck! Come visit, and see what you think!
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    I live just 20 min South of Charlotte (in South Carolina) where we have much lower taxes and less congestion. I'm originally from NJ, so the s l o w pace of the south does take some getting used to and I almost decked a guy who started wheeling my buggy out of Publix:) He wheeled it all the way to my car and unloaded it! How dare he be so courteous:laugh:
    Check out Fort Mill, SC...the new upcoming town near Charlotte.., or Asheville, NC it's just gorgeous there but a bit far from any beach.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Winston Salem and also lived in the Chapel Hill area. On the eastern side of the state, definitely check out Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham. I think there is a lot going on there that you would enjoy. On the western side, I second the above recommendation of Asheville -- great place to visit and might be the sort of thing you are looking for. Can you take a week or two and just drive around the state? That would be a great vacation.

NC does have both mountains and beaches but it is actually a pretty "long" state so it's not as convenient to experience both as it might seem. I grew up in the middle of the state, and as a result didn't spend too much time at either.

Good luck -- I love how you are following your nose on this!
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your work situation is, but as someone who just made a cross-country move, unemployment rate was one of my deciding factors.
    Orange and Chatham counties have the lowest unemployment rate in NC around 6%, and some counties are as high as almost 16%. http://www.wral.com/news/state/page/4879060/ is an interesting map of the rates by county.

I understand wanting to move, I just left the Detroit/Ann Arbor area for San Antonio and I love how the sky is always blue! People from down here don't understand the gray Midwestern winter sky.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I adore NC. It's a wonderful state...and because of that, it's getting crowded,

I agree, I currently live in New Bern, North Carolina and I couldn't believe how everyone down my street and in the neighborhood were from Ohio! I am the only native of North Carolina on the entire block. (Not that I'm complaining. I love the business and development it brings here.)

North Carolina is such a diverse place to live. It really depends on what you're into. Many NC towns are college towns and if you're not into the Night Life places like Greenville wouldn't be a good place for you. Places like Asheville are a little more "hip" and intellects. If you go to New Bern, it's full of retired people 55-75. Why not come down for one week and explore this great state? Trust me, it will be something you never forget!

Also, New Bern is where the majority of the Nicolas Sparks books took place. =)
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I live in VA, but very close to the VA/NC state line and have visited parts of NC for film work. Winston-Salem is nice if you live outside the "city" area and Ashville is great for peaceful living. If you decide you want to go to the beach, Wilmington is awesome :)
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to move to Charleston, SC... Its so beautiful there... People look very humble and nice :) I say do it!
  • C110266
    Options
    I've been wanting to move to Charleston, SC... Its so beautiful there... People look very humble and nice :) I say do it!

Thank you Maribel. What a great smile you have. I hope you use it often :). I will need to check out Charleston :). Have a blessed day.