Food before workout?

Options
Hi there friends,
I am trying to figure out what to eat before the gym. I am trying to figure out what to do on weekends or other days of the week when I wake up and go to the gym. I have NO problem exercising on an empty stomach... Sometimes I have not eaten for 9 hours before the gym, but other times it can be like 15-16 hours.

On the days I do cardio should I be eating more before I go? I normally just have a cup of coffee with creamer and head out the door.

Thoughts?

Replies

• InsolentMint
    Options
    Whatever you're comfortable with, empty stomach or not. I have to eat something. I find that I get a better workout if I eat something rich in (the healthy kind of) carbs about 20-30 min. before I start.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning, I don't eat, but I drink a cup of coffee with milk. Typically I eat a banana and drink a little water before I run and if I working out at the gym at night (zumba, aerobics, weight lifting, etc.), I eat a full dinner an hour or two prior because I am STARVING around 5 and have to eat, or I feel weak and lack energy during my workout (except if I am running, I know from experience, running on a full stomach is NOT good). You have to see how you feel.....
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a banana :)
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    You go for 9-16 hours without eating anything???
  • Fabulous_Fit
    Options
    You go for 9-16 hours without eating anything???

Only at night :)
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    I follow 16/8 intermittent fasting. That means my first meal is at 1pm. Generally I don't work out in the mornings, but on Sundays I run a bootcamp class, so that means my previous meal was at 9pm last night, waking up at 9am, cycling to the park that's 11km away from my house, giving a bootcamp session (I'm a proactive trainer, so I often jump in with the class and do few sets with everyone when I know their form is good) and then I cycle back home again. Resulting in anywhere between 1600-2100 kcal burned. On empty stomach. Then I get home by 1pm and eat my first meal.

I'd say it's more important to eat after exercise than before. Your body has quite a lot of sources to grab energy from. So don't worry too much as long as you are not going all out and beating personal records, medium intensity workout will not hurt you on empty stomach. Just hydrate and you'll be fine.
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    That being said, half a banana or something similar 30-60 minutes before workout will not hurt you, just don't eat a big meal for at least 2 hours before workout, cause digesting takes some energy and you will unnecessarily stress your body. Besides feeling bloated while working out does not feel good.