is 29:02 an ok 5k time for beginner?

Options

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I predict you will be posting your time from the actual race in under the "success story" topic next week!

Keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That's a very good time. Most likely you will go even faster on race day.

You should check your event to see if headphones are allowed. They often aren't. Even if they are, you might want to think twice about using them. It can present a bit of a safety issue since there will be a lot of people around you and you will need to be more tuned to your surroundings than you are during training.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think that is great! I have my first 5K tomorrow and have been training for 8 weeks. Excited and nervous! My goal is 30:00 min and have been running the route between 25:00-30:00 which everyone says is good for a new runner. Good luck to you!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) The race was on June 2nd. I ended up finding out my 29:02 time was about 100-200 m short of 5 K when I did the race (the turn around was farther up the road than I predicted) but I ran a 28:39 which was 5th for females 30-39 (I'm 37) and 47th out of 299. I am ramping up my training (I took way too many days off because of weather) and have started training for 10K. There is a running training group that does speed intervals (8-10 x 400m or 4-6 x 800m) and hills alternating every week where all the serious runners go and I went this week. Ouch but it was so good. I was basically one of the slowest (these are race winners) and I was running 1:50-2:00 400m (so 8 minute mile at the slowest). Next week is hills eeek
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    My first time was in the 34 minute range, so well done on that. I don't think I've run a race that fast yet (though I haven't been running much lately, admittedly).
  • Dano47
    Dano47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did u post yr finish time
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    yes, 28:39
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! Anything below 30mins is a pretty great time for a beginner, really. :)
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have my first 5k tomorrow and I would kill for that time!!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When anyone posts "is ---- a good time?!" I always get the impression that they know it's a good time and that they want everyone to say so.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, yes, it is a good time. When I started doing 5Ks I was at 40 mins or so. My PB now is just under 23 mins.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    When anyone posts "is ---- a good time?!" I always get the impression that they know it's a good time and that they want everyone to say so.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, yes, it is a good time. When I started doing 5Ks I was at 40 mins or so. My PB now is just under 23 mins.

I feel the same thing as well.

Great job, though!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That time is not okay at all...

Its soooooooooooooo much better than just OK!! That's a great time!!! Good luck in your race, But don't sweat it because you are going to do fantastic!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Under 30 minutes is a good time for a first timer. I am sure, you'll want to get faster, so when you are done with the 5K training, switch to 10k :) Have fun! And when you can get a 10K in under an hour, do a half marathon until you get it under 2 hours, and then do a 4 hour marathon.
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    Oh please of course it is! I did one today in 41 minutes. I had to keep walking since there were so many hills. I think it depends a lot on the course (flat or hilly), and the weather. Our humidity was at almost 100% which made it very challenging.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    It.s not only a great time, you'll run faster in the race!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Excellent time for your first one! I did my first a couple of weekends ago and finished in 41:15; it was an extremely hilly course, which I was not prepared for!
  • beckydragonpoet
    beckydragonpoet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is a great time!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yes, 28:39

You can google around and fine out that your age-grade rating would be, that might be fun data for you
    :-)

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking that 37mins was great. Lol.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Erm I ran my first 5k with a 45min and I KILLED myself.