ATTN: Dog owners

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I live in the country where there are not a lot of animal control laws. I walk my dogs on leash and we also have horses. I have found the best thing to do is to stop and tell them No and go home and point. After a while the dogs get to know you and you can just tell them without having to stop.

Most owners leave me alone when I"train" their dogs for them?

This has worked for all breeds except Welsh Corgis. Lol. Lady just comes home with me and I give her a ride home later.

Jeannie in New Mexico.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    People need to train their dogs better.

The same could be said about parents and children....just saying

The same can be said, I agree. People and animals can be trained. In fact, I'm in the process of clicker-training my almost 11 month old kitten. I trained my older cat the same way a while ago. He knows how to sit and he knows that when I say "DOWN" and point down, that he needs to jump off of wherever he is, or if I say "UP", he knows to jump up.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.
    As a dog owner and dog trainer, I am HUGE on safety for people as well as dogs.

FYI: If a dog runs AT you, stop running and turn toward it and cross your arms. DO NOT keep running since IF the dog is likely to bite you, you have now become a fun moving target and worked up the dogs adrenal response.
    If you can judge dog language well, tell the dog to get lose, back off.
    If not, wait til the dog loses interest. If your boring and non threatening, most dogs will saunter off pretty quickly. :)

I agree, but always be ready to defend yourself. Dogs go for the throat so...always throw your arms up to protect that first!

Also, lovely pittie you have there! Beautiful:)

LOL! Dogs do Not go for the throat! They will go for an arm or a leg, an "easy" target. Most dogs bite to protect themselves or what they perceive is theirs (like "their sidewalk you run on") or put of prey drove- you run , they chase and nip at your heels/calf muscle/back of your leg.
    Think of how exposed a dog would need to be of they went for our throat.....they would need to expose their vulnerable belly and THEIR throat. Just not typical dog behavior.

Also, thanks for compliment, my pitty is a super sweet girl, along with my other two dogs :)
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    We have neighbors like that! Their dogs bark nonstop all day long for days on end. After being contacted by a few neighbors who spoke to them about it all, then finally, they get ticketed for numerous infractions and the owners get pissed off, are in complete denial or blame everyone else. When does the dog's behaviors become the other neighbors' responsibility? *smh*
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.

FYI: If a dog runs AT you, stop running and turn toward it and cross your arms. DO NOT keep running since IF the dog is likely to bite you, you have now become a fun moving target and worked up the dogs adrenal response.
    If not, wait til the dog loses interest. If your boring and non threatening, most dogs will saunter off pretty quickly. :)

I agree, but always be ready to defend yourself. Dogs go for the throat so...always throw your arms up to protect that first!

LOL! Dogs do Not go for the throat! They will go for an arm or a leg, an "easy" target. Most dogs bite to protect themselves or what they perceive is theirs (like "their sidewalk you run on") or put of prey drove- you run , they chase and nip at your heels/calf muscle/back of your leg.
    Think of how exposed a dog would need to be of they went for our throat.....they would need to expose their vulnerable belly and THEIR throat. Just not typical dog behavior.

Also, thanks for compliment, my pitty is a super sweet girl, along with my other two dogs :)

No, big dogs WILL go for the throat. If it is a smaller dog and it cannot reach, it will go for arms or legs. Big dogs will almost certainly go for the throat.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    whenever a dog runs at me i never try to speed up or get away. it kicks in their fight-or-flight and there is little chance you can get away anyway. the best tactic is to stand your ground or even yell at the dog.

If I am running without my pooch, which is rarely, I carry pepperspray or a tazer. I love animals, but I have no problem hurting one if it comes into my personal space uninvited and I feel threatened (usually I can tell the difference between a happy curious dog and an aggressive one, but not always) I will be giving that dog the shock of his or her life.

can u b charged for using this type of self defense? i'd really like to b able to go for a nice relaxing walk without having to stress over dogs
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You should be able to go for a walk/run without worry but is it legal for you to carry pepper spray where you live? I have canisters with elastic bands that strap to my hand when I go out to walk.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    yeah some people shouldn't have kids. or animals. or drivers licenses. My problem is when my dog-aggressive German Shepherd is on a leash for his walk and some moron lets their stupid unleashed dog run up to us yelling, "oh its ok he's friendly, he wants to play!"

well my dog doesn't want to play, idiot. I carry mace to halt dogs before they can reach mine, because people letting their dogs (illegally) off leash at the park is a bad problem here.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    I hate that too.

No, big dogs WILL go for the throat. If it is a smaller dog and it cannot reach, it will go for arms or legs. Big dogs will almost certainly go for the throat.

hahahah, ooh vicious old yeller going for the throat. I was a vet tech for 7 years, have been bit by dozens of hurt, wild, vicious dogs. Never on the throat. Never even seen such a thing while working animal control. funny.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know I have my pitbull that I run with but she does not like other dogs and alot of people let them in there yard lose like a cat and they go running up and so I try to avoid because honestly to my dog it's a squeaky toy....I try to find other ways to go,but no matter what street I turn down there is another lil dog out and no owner even in sight like they kick them out to do what ever for the day....I even tried going another way early so know one be out yet....So I start to pass this house and notice the garage door opening....I'm thinking Really?Sure enough here comes a toy poddle charging at me and my pitty I had to lift my dog off the ground Fast with her chest harness....The lady thanked me and said thank goodness I had fast reflexes( I seen it coming)It's hard to have a dog that hates other animals I was on a trail one time and she wanted to charge at some St.Barnard s...Lol what a nut~
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I hate that too.

hahahah, ooh vicious old yeller going for the throat. I was a vet tech for 7 years, have been bit by dozens of hurt, wild, vicious dogs. Never on the throat. Never even seen such a thing while working animal control. funny.

Good for you. Any other neat stories, dear?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I can't even walk my dogs in my neighborhood because of all the unleashed animals. Last time I just ran to the stop sign with my corgi, I had three encounters. I have also been approached alone by random dogs. It's not safe for me or them, and I have every right to defend myself. Always remember to stop running and stand your ground.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    I hate that too.

Good for you. Any other neat stories, dear?
    aww I know, so hard when you're not right. sorry sweetie, better luck next time.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Not going to have a battle of wits with unarmed people :)
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    our dog has never been off the leed and we have been attacked so many times by other dogs with owners saying its ok he s friendly we ve had to give up walking him altogether... the last straw was the police calling on us after he bit two roaming staffordshire bulls hell bent on biting him and they had to seek the vets.

The ridiculous thing is in the uk you have to be in control of your dog at all times in public and no one under the age of 16 is deemed old enough to be in control of a dog even if its on a leed and our police simply applied the law on whose pet got biten as they obviously didnt even know the law themselves !!!

It infuriated me that i have had to kick , beat with a heavy stick and use all means possible to stop a dog of the leed attacking mine securely leashed simply because an owner is stupid enough to leave their dog out of control - and then have the cheek to moan and shout when their dog takes a beating to protect our family pet.

I like animals and disliked be forced into this position.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i support OP's point FULLY.
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We let out dog out in the front yard with out a leash, but she is old (10+ years) and **very** (emphasis on the VERY) lazy and even if there is dogs or people around she wont leave our yard or step foot on to the street. But when she is in the yard we are always out there with her. Although we have neighbors who let their dogs out with no supervision and they run rampant thru our neighborhood. We've had to call the cops a few times on some of the people in our neighborhood because of their animals causing problems around here.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    My dog is only allowed off the lead in apt places. I.e. Enclosed public areas where others take their dogs. My dog is unusual as he won't chase people, only other dogs. He leaves runners well alone. If he was to accost anyone i would be so embarrassed and apologise. Likewise i would expect the same from another dog owner. Some people are just ****s though...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    whenever a dog runs at me i never try to speed up or get away. it kicks in their fight-or-flight and there is little chance you can get away anyway. the best tactic is to stand your ground or even yell at the dog.

If I am running without my pooch, which is rarely, I carry pepperspray or a tazer. I love animals, but I have no problem hurting one if it comes into my personal space uninvited and I feel threatened (usually I can tell the difference between a happy curious dog and an aggressive one, but not always) I will be giving that dog the shock of his or her life.

can u b charged for using this type of self defense? i'd really like to b able to go for a nice relaxing walk without having to stress over dogs

My ex is a cop and he is the one who gave me the the taser and mace. He said for good measure make sure you cry about how terrified you were if the cops get involved. :) but otherwise you were just defending yourself against a rabid dog.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Our dogs are on tie out...but someone has been unhooking our little dog. At first we thought he was somehow managing to get it unhooked, so we got a different hook, and he was off that too. Fortunately he loves our other dog and stays with him, but I'm pretty sure if someone ran by he would go check it out.

I've been wondering if we should make a report with the police so it's on record if something does happen. We have a fine of $150 if he is picked up loose, really don't want to pay that if someone else comes on our yard and unhooks the dog.