Vitamin D deficiency

Options
I recently found out I'm deficient in vitamin D. I've also had trouble losing weight since about october, which is when I started feeling fatigued and showing symptoms of deficiency, and even gained about 15 lbs. I'm now desperate to lose weight but it seems impossible, no matter how little I eat. My doc says that it's because of the deficiency and now that I'm taking supplements I should be able to lose weight. Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it take to be able to lose weight again?

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I used to be low in vitamin D. I wasn't trying to lose weight at the time, so no advice there, but I can say that I felt noticeably better immediately. Within a week I was normal again and my energy level was vastly improved.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    I've been severely efficient for years straight, but it didn't affect my ability to lose weight. It did weaken my muscles and my general well being though.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been Vitamin D deficient. It definitely helps boost your energy which is vital to losing weight. Keep on going with the supplements and you should see your energy level improve. Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    get plenty of sunlight. find out how much your skin type can tolerate and get somewhat less than that. Very pale skin burns easiest but it's also the most efficient at making vitamin D, so you don't need to stay in the sun as long as if your skin was darker, i.e. you don't need to risk getting sunburned in the process. I have very pale skin, freckles and burn easily plus I live in Bahrain which is almost tropical, but I try to get sunlight on my skin for at least 5 minutes each day, even during the hottest part of the day. I haven't got sunburn and I feel much better for doing this. I don't know how much vitamin D my skin's making but like I said paler skins make vitamin D more quickly than darker skins, so you if you have pale skin you don't need to stay out too long, and definitely not long enough to get sunburn. Of course if you have darker skin you'd need to stay in the sun a fair bit longer, but you can also stay in the sun longer without getting burned.

also, vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. A lot of people when they go on a diet cut out all or most fatty foods... this isn't necessarily the best thing as the body needs essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins, so you need to leave some fatty foods in your diet, i.e. those high in these nutritents. Examples would be fish oil/oily fish, cold pressed vegetable oils (heat treatment can destroy some of the nutrients), egg yolks, full fat fresh dairy products, avocados, etc.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I read that 10 minutes at noon 3 times per week gives most people all the D they need. The best rays are at midday. this reminds me to get outside for a bit.
  • Linda0S
    Linda0S Posts: 13
    Options
    Go out side :P and eat mushrooms! Also make sure you up your fat intake so it can be properly absorbed. And maybe get some advice from your doctor?
  • Itsmemissnikki1
    Options
    Hello! I was dangerously low of Vitamin D and heard the same thing from my doc. The problem is, I am still not seeing results after upping my supplements and spending more time in natural sunlight. Of course we are all individuals here, but you might want to press your doc to figure out WHY you became deficient. Treating the symptom (the deficiency) rather than the underlying cause (why you are deficient) can prove to be counterproductive for your health and weight goals.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I don't think there's any proof about Vit D & weight loss.There are all sorts of claims from cancer cure to weight loss. Truth is, most northerners are Vit D deficient in the winter, and we're not dropping left & right from cancer and failure to lose weight.

20 minutes/day of sun with 40% of your skin exposed should do it. Do supplements on rainy days and winter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I had a great deal of difficulty when I was deficient. I take 5,000 IUs daily now and it's all good. Take your vitamin D, and get your sunshine.
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    You don't say how old you are as one feels more tired with age around the menopause. I assume you are referring to Vit D3 (Cholecalciferol) which is important to be clear about as you need the correct supplement . D3 is specific one in the D group and the only form that replaces the sunlight to help bones.

I too was deficient and you will see from my diary that I take it daily. I found out after a bone scan revealed osteoporunia (pre-osteoporosis) when diagnosed with breast cancer. My Professor told me to take it and I have my levels checked regularly. It was down to 17. The normal range is 75-100 I think. Mine shot up very quickly. Can't vouch for the tiredness thing as I was in chemo and radiotherapy anyway.

I was quite surprised as I have always eaten really healthily as I used to be a health professional and did some nutrition at Post Grad school. I have read an excellent book which covers the problems with modern food and recommend it to everyone called 'We Want Real Food'. It explains how the crap given to animals in dairy affects the produce. I alway get organic when I can to avoid the high nitrates which prevents absorbtion of essential nutrients.

You could be tired if you don't eat enough cals but sure you will get there. Fluids are not to be underestimated with fatigue either. You are doing the best with your weight bearing exercise in running to strengthen bones too!:happy:

Good luck
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    You don't say how old you are as one feels more tired with age around the menopause. I assume you are referring to Vit D3 (Cholecalciferol) which is important to be clear about as you need the correct supplement . D3 is specific one in the D group and the only form that replaces the sunlight to help bones.

I too was deficient and you will see from my diary that I take it daily. I found out after a bone scan revealed osteoporunia (pre-osteoporosis) when diagnosed with breast cancer. My Professor told me to take it and I have my levels checked regularly. It was down to 17. The normal range is 75-100 I think. Mine shot up very quickly. Can't vouch for the tiredness thing as I was in chemo and radiotherapy anyway.

I was quite surprised as I have always eaten really healthily as I used to be a health professional and did some nutrition at Post Grad school. I have read an excellent book which covers the problems with modern food and recommend it to everyone called 'We Want Real Food'. It explains how the crap given to animals in dairy affects the produce. I alway get organic when I can to avoid the high nitrates which prevents absorbtion of essential nutrients.

You could be tired if you don't eat enough cals but sure you will get there. Fluids are not to be underestimated with fatigue either. You are doing the best with your weight bearing exercise in running to strengthen bones too!:happy:

Good luck
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been deficient for years, 21, and I lost my extra weight with no problem.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D helps a lot with losing visceral (belly) fat. Be careful though -- my levels recently went too high! Make sure to do follow up blood test and keep your dose at doctor recommended.
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm so deficient I have to take a Rx vitamin D once a week. I am also anemic and have low thyroid and found out all of this at the same time. I did lose weight after but I do think it was mostly my low thyroid. I do know that if I don't take my iron or vitamin D my energy is SHOT, I feel like I'm sick and just exhausted. I feel like it helps keep me going, not sure though if vitamin D alone will help though but you'll feel better!
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My doc told me that as well but I didn't have issues losing weight it was just that my back was hurting. For the most part Vitamin D is from the sun maybe you should hang outside a little bit longer.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I currently take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D a day. I'm no longer deficient, am losing weight (I lost about 15 pounds right after I started taking it), and feel 1000x better.
  • runner_chick24
    runner_chick24 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cubic Cutie, I'm 16, so definitely not menopausal lol.
  • runner_chick24
    runner_chick24 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I was kind of skeptical when my doc told me it was the deficiency keeping me from losing weight and it seems like I was right to be. I just realized that I tend to nibble at food throughout the day and when I added in the extra, it added nearly 300 calories, so maybe that's my problem. I think I'm just underestimating my calories and my bmr. But seriously, thank you!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm so deficient I have to take a Rx vitamin D once a week. I am also anemic and have low thyroid and found out all of this at the same time. I did lose weight after but I do think it was mostly my low thyroid. I do know that if I don't take my iron or vitamin D my energy is SHOT, I feel like I'm sick and just exhausted. I feel like it helps keep me going, not sure though if vitamin D alone will help though but you'll feel better!

My old doctor put me on an rx but it was for D2 and it didn't do anything :grumble: This spring my new doctor told me to take an over the counter 5,000 dose of D3 every day. I go back back this fall for follow up bloodwork and hope my number improves (at a 21 right now).
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says to not tan.( in a booth) but I feel that the tanning greatly increses my mood, and in the two weeks since I started I have lost 4 pounds... and am doing the same things I have been doing (and was stalled out) I am not sure if its a coincidencce ot not, but I am thinking it is directly related to the tanning.