Replies

• poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    xx
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think that's part of my confusion. I understand the lower glycemic index is better but I've not seen any bread labeled as 100% whole grain.

me neither. also heard a nutritionist spell out that whole grain meant unprocessed ie whole grains and not flour.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Legally "multi grain" does not mean that there is whole grain in it. It just means it has to include at least 3 or 4 different grains (depending on the country). It could still be white bread, just made out of different grains.

"whole grain" means - legally - that it has to include at least 90% whole grain flour.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think that's part of my confusion. I understand the lower glycemic index is better but I've not seen any bread labeled as 100% whole grain.

me neither. also heard a nutritionist spell out that whole grain meant unprocessed ie whole grains and not flour.
    That must have been a misunderstanding. "Whole grain" means that the whole grain is used when the grain is milled to get the flour. White bread gets rid of the shell of the grain which contains the most vitamins and fiber.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That must have been a misunderstanding. "Whole grain" means that the whole grain is used when the grain is milled to get the flour. White bread gets rid of the shell of the grain which contains the most vitamins and fiber.

I did wonder, must dig out the video and watch it again. Perhaps she mis-spoke.

Different countries have different rules for naming these things too, for example in the UK....
    Wholemeal - all the flour used as an ingredient in the preparation of the bread
    must be wholemeal. The term “wholemeal” is not defined in law, however it is
    generally accepted that wholemeal flour is the entire wheat grain, which
    contains the bran and the germ.
  • roadsta
    roadsta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So, looking at the Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat label, the first ingredient is "Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour" and no mention of "enriched flour" or "enriched white flour", so I'm thinking this is OK when I absolutely MUST have a sandwich! Thanks all.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I am wondering are their any replacement foods then? To be able to give up breads totally? Or do you just not have anything resembling a sandwich etc ever again? Just wondering as its never occurred to me! Thanks

I've made oopsie rolls into hotdog buns. I make grilled cheese and french toast using flax meal bread. I make lettuce tacos and wrap burgers in large lettuce leaves. Spaghetti squash, shaved broccoli, shaved asparagus stalks, julienned zucchini or eggplant replace pasta. There are tons of low-carb replacements that do NOT raise my blood glucose significantly and that's what's important to me. My eyesight, kidneys, toes and fingers are more important than a hoagie.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    100% whole grain bread tends to average lower on the Glycemic Index, so I would go with that. 100% whole wheat breads aren't a bad choice, but the grain tends to not affect insulin levels as much.

Edit: Oh, and you can use this as a guide: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

According to that link, white wheat bread and whole wheat bread have exactly the same glycemic index, and all of the grain products are high, even whole grains. If I were diabetic, which is a distinct possibility in the future given my family history, I would be trying to eat a lot less grain, period, and eating more meat, unsweetened dairy, non-starchy vegetables, beans if my blood sugar could take it, and fruits with a lower glycemic index.

P.S. I got my dad testing his blood sugar at intervals before and after meals so he could see how different foods and combinations of foods actually affected his blood sugar, rather than relying only on general recommendations.
  • callistasky
    callistasky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the USA, corn is a "whole grain". Companies use it as a cheap additive to list their foods as whole grain. Check the label, if the first or second ingredient is corn stay away. Corn isn't terribly nutritious and while I love a good summer corn on the cob, or popped popcorn to take the edge off my hunger, there are better grains to eat. Take whole wheat, or something with oats or rye in it over corn. In the case of bread, corn is a filler, and we all know how bad fills are.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In Canada 'whole grain' means the flour is made from all the parts in the natural proportions. 'whole wheat' means that while it does contain all the parts they're added after the white flour is ground and not in the natural proportions. I can have less nutrients than 'whole grain' but is still better than white flour.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I just cchck the. Ingredients list, and if it has any enriched flour, then I don't buy it. Also I chose no sugar (which is almost impossible to find, other than Ezekiel Bread), or no more than 2-3 grams sugar per serving.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was different meanings of the same terms in different countries. So confusing.

To answer your question OP, I have no idea what is better for diabetic. Always read the ingredient list on everything you buy.

Also, check out Dave's Kiler bread: http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I am wondering are their any replacement foods then? To be able to give up breads totally? Or do you just not have anything resembling a sandwich etc ever again? Just wondering as its never occurred to me! Thanks

I don't remember the last time I had a sandwich. My husband is allergic to wheat so we don't have any bread or pasta products at all unless they're rice which tastes nasty to me so are rarely eaten. Bread is not a staple food that you have to have and there are so many things to eat that are so much better for you. Take all your sandwich ingredients without the bread and make up a plate with lots of extra veggies.