bigger now than when i started.

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem with people who quit is that they're trying, but they're trying tooooo hard. Hard work doesn't always mean effective work. So you could be going full speed ahead, doing EVERYTHING you can think of to lose weight, but it might not be the RIGHT thing to be doing.

Think of it like you want to take down a tree. You can push against it with all your might, and that's damn hard work, but it's not as effective as using a chainsaw or ax. Of if your car is stuck in the snow, gunning the engine won't work. You'll just get stuck further. But use a shovel and some salt or cinder, and you'll get unstuck.

So that's my advice. Make sure you're making the most of your tools and doing this right. MFP is a great tool to help you have an appropriate calorie deficit, and to plan your meals instead of just recording them.

Also, making some goals that have nothing to do with weight loss helped me a lot. Personally, I wanted to be able to run a 5k. I told myself, if I could do that, it didn't matter if I lost weight or not, because at least I'd be healthier. And even when the scale didn't do what I wanted it to do, I could still look at the progress I made with running (and later lifting) and see that I was getting stronger, faster, more endurance, etc.

And lastly... take progress photos. Take some now, and no matter how much you hate them, don't delete them. You don't need to show them to anyone else. In a month or two, take more. Then in another month or two, take some more again.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING.

Ooo...nice. I never thought of it that way.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    This article helps a lot of people get motivated. A LOT of people who lose a lot, will often lose steam & gain back. But the good news is you can turn it around anytime you want.

The Wt. Loss Minute
    By Linda Spangle, RN, MA
    February 14, 2011

I'm trying so hard! (Motivation Series)

Becky looked discouraged. As she sank into the chair in my
    office, she said, 'I don't know what to do. I'm trying so hard to
    lose weight, but I'm not getting anywhere. I can't figure out
    what's wrong. Based on how hard I'm trying I should be losing a
    lot more than I am.'

As I looked at my notes on our conversations over the past few
    weeks, I decided to take a guess at Becky's problem. 'Let's
    review a little,' I said. 'How have you been doing with your
    eating plan?'

Becky thought for a second. 'Some days are OK, but lots of times
    I get stressed or frustrated during the day, and by evening, I
    end up having wine or ice cream, or both.'

'So you're not following your plan very well?' I asked. 'I guess
    not,' she replied. 'This past week I probably was on my program
    only three days. But I'm trying so hard to lose weight!'

'How's your exercise plan going?'

'Not as consistent as I'd like. I only walked two days this week.
    By the end of the day, I'm usually so tired that I can't get
    myself to do it. But I'm trying so hard to lose weight!'

I glanced back at my notes. 'You also planned to work on your
    abdominal exercises, go to a yoga class, and take time each day
    for some meditation or reading. How are you doing with those
    goals?'

'None of them happened. I'm just so busy, and everything gets in
    the way. The days keep getting away from me, and I end up
    skipping all of my goals and going to bed.'

But then Becky exclaimed again, 'But, I'm trying so hard to lose
    weight!'

Are you seeing yourself in this story? I think we all have times
    when we WANT to lose weight, and we convince ourselves that we're
    TRYING. But like Becky, we don't follow through with any actions
    that would move us toward our goals.

It's like saying you want an 'A' in a class at school, but being
    too busy, too tired or too stressed to open the textbook or work
    on your research paper. No action equals no outcome.

Interested or committed?

Many of you are familiar with this next concept from Day 2 of the
    book '100 Days of Weight Loss' but I think it's one we all need
    to be reminded of now and then.

If you tend to start and stop every time you diet, you may want
    to look at the difference between being INTERESTED and being
    COMMITTED.

Interest slips away quickly

When you're just interested in dieting, you tend to stay with
    your plans only until something better comes along. For example,
    you may decide that you're interested in losing weight, but when
    someone brings doughnuts to work, you quickly go off your diet.

You also depend on seeing results to keep you on target. So, as
    long as the scale keeps moving, you stay motivated. But if you
    hit a plateau or you don't see much progress for a few weeks, you
    may throw your program out the window.

And when you struggle, you blame everyone but yourself. You
    accuse your friends of ruining your diet because they eat potato
    chips in front of you.

In addition, you fall into 'if only' thinking, saying things
    like, 'If only I had more time, more money, a new job, or a
    supportive spouse, then I'd be able to stay on my plan.

Committed means NO MATTER WHAT!

When you're truly committed to achieving your goals, you have an
    entirely different outlook. Unlike being interested, where it
    doesn't take much to detract you from your goals, being committed
    means you stick with it, no matter what.

Rather than depending on seeing results to help you stay on
    track, you work on keeping your motivation strong, and trust that
    results will follow.

And when you struggle, you don't blame circumstances or other
    people. Instead, you push hard to stay on your diet in spite of
    not having enough money, time, or supportive friends and family
    members.

Here's a summary of the differences between interested and
    committed:

People who are interested in losing weight

* Stick with it until something better comes along
    * Take action only if they "feel like" doing it
    * Need to see results in order to stay motivated
    * Blame people or circumstances for their struggles
    * Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight

* Stick with their plans no matter what
    * Take action whether they feel like doing it or not
    * Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow
    * Take responsibility for their own actions
    * Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks

Look carefully at your current efforts. If you say that you're
    'trying so hard to lose weight' but you aren't making progress,
    you're probably taking the interested approach. If so, strive for
    being committed instead. Start adopting a 'no matter what'
    attitude, then convince yourself you can stay with your goals
    regardless of your daily challenges.

© Linda Spangle, 2011. #0214, Weight Loss for Life, Inc.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

His tough love answer is correct. Committing is sooo difficult, but it does get easier once you get used to the lifestyle changes. People slip and make mistakes and even fall completely off the horse, but the goal is to get right back up immediately. Don't make excuses. Stay focused and remind yourself why getting healthy/losing weight is important. You can do it!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For my thinking, this is a fantastic site, there are no rules (well, not many!) but a few guidelines that helped me might be worth noting....

There is no quick fix or easy answer
    Immerse yourself in the forums
    Surround yourself with people who have the same aims as you.
    Track EVERYTHING
    Be HONEST with yourself.
    Eat under your calorie goal - you will soon learn what are good and bad food choices.
    Use the tools and people available - the tools are great, and there are a lot of great people who just want to spur you on.
    This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change

Lastly, to be clear,
    THERE IS NO QUICK FIX OR EASY ANSWER

I hope this helps!
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    You mainly have to be strong and committed... ask yourself what is more important,,, losing weight or drinking those drinks you love... (whatever they may be) I drink water only every day each and every day... You have to stop eating sugars, breads, starches. processed foods, and concentrate on veggies and fruits with of course "SOME" lean chicken breasts or turkey... fish... If you log in and put down every thing that you put in your mouth, you will see the addition of what you are eating such as calories, carbs, fat, etc. Butttttt, no one can do it for you...it has to be YOU that wants to lose the fat bad enough that you will do what it takes. If you think it is easy for other people to lose weight, you are wrong. It is hard for everyone and it is not for a month or two, it is for a life change... it is up to you to change yourself... not someone else to do the work for you... how could that be anyway? You can do it just like others are doing it.. day by day, little by little, then you will see pound by pound leaving your body... It is worth it, don't you think....to be healthy and free of diseases? I do and that is why I am doing it.
  • ravenbard
    Options
    What's this "TOMORROW" bit? why wait until tomorrow to start cause tomorrow never comes ya know... start this minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bazeboll
    bazeboll Posts: 4
    Options
    I know this won't be popular, but it's science. Stop trying to lose weight. Eat healthy and exercise because those things make you healthier, but do not necessarily result in weight loss. If you don't know what "eat healthy" means, in general it means eat lots of fruits and vegetables, eat whole grains, eat lean meats, avoid processed foods, and eat until you feel satisfied instead of full. And every once in awhile have a cookie. Or a piece of cake. Or whatever it is that keeps you from feeling deprived, because if you feel deprived, you won't want to continue to eat healthy. Pick an event to train for -- a mud run, obstacle course, the color run, bubble run -- there are a million fun events. Train for it, do it, get the T-shirt, then pick a different event. And don't weigh yourself. I know, I know, everybody wants to lose weight to "look good" but that is completely subjective and for most people has little to do with health. And weight loss usually ultimately results in more weight gain. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a doctoral student who studies energy balance and metabolism.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    For ME...I had tried over and over again but I don't think I REALLY wanted it. This time was it. I wanted it and I'm doing it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You need discipline.
  • ravenbard
    Options
    AMEN to that...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I know this won't be popular, but it's science. Stop trying to lose weight. Eat healthy and exercise because those things make you healthier, but do not necessarily result in weight loss. If you don't know what "eat healthy" means, in general it means eat lots of fruits and vegetables, eat whole grains, eat lean meats, avoid processed foods, and eat until you feel satisfied instead of full. And every once in awhile have a cookie. Or a piece of cake. Or whatever it is that keeps you from feeling deprived, because if you feel deprived, you won't want to continue to eat healthy. Pick an event to train for -- a mud run, obstacle course, the color run, bubble run -- there are a million fun events. Train for it, do it, get the T-shirt, then pick a different event. And don't weigh yourself. I know, I know, everybody wants to lose weight to "look good" but that is completely subjective and for most people has little to do with health. And weight loss usually ultimately results in more weight gain. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a doctoral student who studies energy balance and metabolism.
    I only disagree to a point because if one is already overweight and eats the amount they need to maintain their current weight while working out, they'll only get more fit. They'll still be overweight. NFL linemen are a good example of this.
    While weight shouldn't be the ultimate factor, it's still the number factor in assessing health risk in an individual.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

IDEA Fitness member

This. Also, one quote I remember from the Weight Watchers boards..."Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Chose your hard." Good luck to you!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

IDEA Fitness member

I.LOVE.THIS. Im using it in the future.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    9. Google 1 pound of fat. Look at that anytime you are tempted to say "I only lost 1 pound this week."

WOW I AM SHOCKED
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

IDEA Fitness member

^^ this.
  • SCHURMIE
    SCHURMIE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I see you like beer. Me too!! I think you have to have a long talk with yourself and make a decision. I know it is easier said than done but let's face it ....its all a choice. Before you put anything in your mouth....write it down.....then decide.. is it worth it? I have a huge problem with staying motivated also but I know once you lose your first 5-7 pounds you will get motivated. Also I weigh every day. I know some say not to do that but I weigh every am buck naked and log it in. If I lose, i'm motivated to lose more......if I gain I'm motivated to get it off!! Good luck to you! Be the person you want to be!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly like you did in August of last year. I felt like I was always trying to go on diets, I would do them for a short time and then something would make me go off of the diet. My weight seemed to be going up no matter what I did. I think part of it was the age, my metabolism is slowing down but the other part was not being careful about what I ate. I finally decided I was tired of it and I wanted to lose some weight. My husband and I talked to a nutritionist and got a healthy diet to follow. I was already exercising regularly but I also paid for a personal trainer and got a more challenging workout to burn more calories. The nutritionist recommended that I log my food regularly and I went back to MFP because I had used it before. Logging regularly and having friends on MFP to share your successes really works. I like the eating healthy so well that I don't want to quit eating that way even though I am close to my goal weight. I like to eat and do have occasional splurges but for the most part I am following a healthy diet and exercising almost every day. Good Luck, I wish you the best!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a lifestyle and not a diet. You need to eat healthily with the occasional treat, so it's sustainable, and get into the habit f regular exercise and moving more until it just becomes a way of life.

I've been doing this for nearly 2 years now, since my daughter was 7 weeks old (although I did exercise prior to being pregnant with her, when pregnant with my son, and for years before that) and I don't find it hard at all now. I eat a decent amount now, whereas before MFP (I've been a member since July last year) I was restricting myself to 1200 calories or less. I also exercise differently. I do more strength training now, and a huge variety of classes, so I never get bored of it.

So I think the trick is to find exercise you enjoy, and you'll find after a few weeks t just becomes habit, and get used to eating healthily.
  • hautetheory
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was extremely sick when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had hyperemesis gravidarium (I think that is how you spell it) which is severe morning sickness. I actually lost weight and was starving while I was pregnant (It lasted almost the whole pregnancy). After giving birth to my daughter I gained about 75 pounds!!!!!! I was so happy to eat that I couldn't stop. Anyway, my highest weight at that time was 255 and I am 5'5". About a year later I started my weight loss journey and got down to 220 (lost 45 pounds). Life then got really hectic and to be honest I lost my interest in the whole lifestyle change. For the next four years I lost and gained and lost and gained but never made it past my initial 45 pound loss. Right before I started logging on the MFP I went all the way up to 260 pounds. I am now at 243.8 pounds as of today and I am feeling good. I hope you know that many people have been through what you are going through. Please just pick yourself up every time you fall and try to be better than you were the day before. Figure out what is contributing to your bad habits and then go from there. One of the things that has helped me is to replace bad habits with good ones instead of trying to get rid of bad habits. Keep going you can do it!