I would like some running friends. Anyone out there?

Options
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and am not positive if this is where I should post this. But I'm giving it a shot anyway! :) I am training for the Chicago marathon (it is in 8 weeks) and a 1/2 marathon as well (in 4 weeks). I am hoping to find some running friends to chat about it and share our stories, etc. For example, my 16 mile run is next Saturday and I'm nervous! Also, you don't have to be training for a marathon either! Anyone that runs (whatever distance) and wants a friend to share with. Maybe you are trying to increase your speed? I'm trying to do that as well..

I am trying to lose between 30 - 40 pounds. I am hoping to lose 10 - 15 before the marathon, that would help me out a lot!
Anyway, I hope this is where I should post this. If not, I would appreciate other advice/suggestions.
Hope to talk to you soon!

Thanks,
Sarah

Replies

• anderson8480
    Options
    Good luck with your marathons!!! That is exciting. I just started the C25K program, and looking to do some races in the next year. I have a long way to go, but looking forward to being a "runner". =)

Have a good day!
  • sherri79eaton
    sherri79eaton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also just started the c25K program. I am on week 2 and so far loving it!!
  • Chickie405
    Chickie405 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am training for 3 half marathons coming up, I have actually completed 8 half-marathons so far to date. Kudos to you for tackling a full - that is great! Our weight loss goals are very similar, so anytime you want to chat just let me know!

I live in downstate Illinois and run with the Illinois Valley Striders, quite a few of my running pals are training for Chicago too! My running partner ran it last year and loved it. I lost 108 lbs. 12 years ago and have maintained quite well, you will laugh but my biggest reason for losing this additional weight is so I can run faster!! And look cuter in those running outfits...LOL

Best of luck and RUN HAPPY :-)~
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your runs! I am an avid runner myself -- logging approximately 40 - 50 miles a week. I just completed a half in May with a personal best of 1:43. I am nervous about doing the full. But am seriously contemplating doing the Rock and Roll Vegas Marathon next year (Dec 2011). I am looking for running friends as well so add me if you like. :smile:
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I took up running back in February this year, using the C25K program. Loved it, and still use it to maintain/improve running. I have my first 4 mile run coming up next month and a 5K race in October.

I have created a group over on Facebook, called Motivation. I recently started a discussion there specifically to do with the C25K program, but could also be another place to discuss running in general. Feel free to join if you're on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your running goals!

~ Chandra
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Hey, good luck on the marathon. There is a MFP runners group on here. Lots of great people who love talking running. Stop by.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've always been so envious of people running outside. They make it look so easy and fun. I'm doing the C25K program as well and will be entering week 4 on Monday. I'm so scared because I have to run for 5 minutes straight, haha, how sad!

I'm hoping to be fit enough to be able to run a 5K eventually.. maybe this fall if opportunity presents itself. I know I can run, I just need to keep up with it to get better. I'm pretty slow right now so I definitely want to be able to pick up the pace and be able to run further without thinking I am about to die.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running!! I usually run at least 5 times a week. I am going to run my first 10K at the end of the month and am hoping to run a half marathon by the end of the year and maybe even a full sometime next year!! I am trying to loose at least 14 more pounds. Feel free to add me as a friend!! :)
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    Okay, so I don't know if I could just reply individually or not so I just went to each of your pages and sent a message. Thanks so much for the encouragement, introductions, and advice! I can already tell that joining this site is going to be so benifical. :) And I'm happy to hear your running stories!
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ive been running for a few years only completing 5ks. I am trying to increase my distance and would love running buds! I would really love to find someone I could physically run with ( I am in Rockford IL)...I think that it would just be that much better. But this will work also!

I am doing a 10k in September and would consider training for a half. I dont think I have any desire to run a marathon but time will tell, especially after completing a half.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i'm new to running, daily, although i have been running off and on in the gym for years. i ran outside for the first time and it's nothing like running on the treadmill. the treadmill is easy, running outside is a challenge, but i'm going to keep doing it until it becomes just as easy as running on the treadmill.

my shins are on time out, but i can't wait to get back to running. i'm not ready for any marathons yet.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the c25k on monday and plan on running the next 5k. Really excited about getting fit!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and am not positive if this is where I should post this. But I'm giving it a shot anyway! :) I am training for the Chicago marathon (it is in 8 weeks) and a 1/2 marathon as well (in 4 weeks). I am hoping to find some running friends to chat about it and share our stories, etc. For example, my 16 mile run is next Saturday and I'm nervous! Also, you don't have to be training for a marathon either! Anyone that runs (whatever distance) and wants a friend to share with. Maybe you are trying to increase your speed? I'm trying to do that as well..

I am trying to lose between 30 - 40 pounds. I am hoping to lose 10 - 15 before the marathon, that would help me out a lot!
    Anyway, I hope this is where I should post this. If not, I would appreciate other advice/suggestions.
    Hope to talk to you soon!

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah!

WTG on your training and aspirations there, admirable for sure!

Keep us all updated, wishing you all the very best for those runs and your training! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    I'm starting the c25k on monday and plan on running the next 5k. Really excited about getting fit!

Yay! Tomorrow is the big day, you can do it!!
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    i'm new to running, daily, although i have been running off and on in the gym for years. i ran outside for the first time and it's nothing like running on the treadmill. the treadmill is easy, running outside is a challenge, but i'm going to keep doing it until it becomes just as easy as running on the treadmill.

my shins are on time out, but i can't wait to get back to running. i'm not ready for any marathons yet.

Yes, running outside is definitely different! Although I think running on the TM has it's challenges too. :) I usually run 3/4 of my runs on the treadmill every week. Usually just my long run outside. Of course when it cools down a bit, I will get outside more. Take care of those shins, I know how painful that can be! Way to challenge yourself, that's great!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Congrats on your running. There is also a group (see link below) of some of us that are training to run 1/2 to full marathons this fall. Hope to see you there...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/106273-half-marathon-support-and-motivation?page=11#posts-1551349
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Rob and I are training now for the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon Relay on October 2nd. I have been looking for running and cycling friends as well:) Good Luck 2 everyone!! ~Jill~
  • dmbutler9
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE running! I ran track in HS, then got away from it.... just wasn't cool! But after finishing my degree (at midlife) and getting a desk job, I took up running again. I ran several 5ks; the first one was 12 weeks after beginning the "10 weeks to your first 5k" I got from Runner's World. I admit to not doing any races in the last couple of years... that's because my (then undiagnosed) thyroid deficiency caused me to keep gaining weight, in spite of running 4-5 days per week... I have found that when I'm over 165 that is really hard on my body to run.... But I keep running anyway, because I don't want to be heavier than I am... some days it feels like I am desperately clinging to the edge of the precipice... Anyway, I would live running friends! I used to be able to do 5 miles in under an hour; I just got back to being able to do 4 miles in about 55 minutes... currently I don't have any speed or distance goals; I just enjoy the outdoors and the movement.
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi all...didnt know if you all were planning on posting to this thread or not, but Ill give it a go.
    Running is going good...since Sunday Ive done 12.6miles including hill work. Today was a pretty good run, less humid thats for sure.

How is everyone else doing??
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    :wink:
    Hi all...didnt know if you all were planning on posting to this thread or not, but Ill give it a go.
    Running is going good...since Sunday Ive done 12.6miles including hill work. Today was a pretty good run, less humid thats for sure.

How is everyone else doing??

Hi!

Thanks for the update!! Glad to hear you are doing well. Those hills are a killer, way to go!! Keep up the great work. :wink:

Going pretty good here. My 16 mile run is tomorrow morning. In fact, I should be done with it 24 hours from now. I'm nervous! But I know I will make it (I hope that I know that)! My runs this week went well and I enjoyed speedwork day. Have a fabulous weekend!

Sarah