Weight Vs. Running - Shin Splints?

Options
Hi everyone! I've lost about 40lbs in the last year. Last year I had attempted to start running, but I kept getting shin splints. I was wondering if anyone else had lost a significant amount of weight and found that they could run at their lighter weight without getting shin splints? I've tried to do programs like C25K, and had always gotten shin splints, no matter how little I ran.

I asked my doctor about it last year, and he said, "you're just not a runner." Helpful. Very helpful. =/

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, so maybe someone else will chime in, but I have experience with shinsplints. I've always gotten them, even when I was very young and at all weights. I started running a couple of months ago. First I read up online about running techniques. I ran very carefully (and slowly) and watched my form. I still got them slightly, usually from just one bad landing, but it was manageable and eventually I think they "toughened" up.

What I did: on flat surfaces, I ran as though I was falling forward constantly (lean forward, moreso the faster you go--it's like your upper body goes ahead and your legs are trying to catch-up); on downhill I ran as though there was a rope attached to my mid-section pulling me down the hill (again, like falling forward); uphill I ran as though I was in a room with a low ceiling (staying low). Since then, I still lean forward slightly, but as I work on speed, I "lean" forward, but I am able to run slightly more upright (not "hunching" so much) without suffering the shinsplints--like I said, I think they "toughened up".

I watched some youtubes that helped with the leaning forward, but can't remember the name of the "technique". Try a search, you might find it.
  • k_ramroop
    k_ramroop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'll first start by saying I'm not an expert by any means....

I joined a beginners running group in my area called 9 to 5 (9 weeks to a 5k) and absolutely LOVE it! One of the most important things I learned about running is how important good shoes are as well as your form.

I highly recommend going to a running store (not sporting goods store like Academy or Sports Authority) and getting properly fitted for shoes. They are well worth the money.

We also learned that one of the main reasons for shin splints is running form - taking shorter strides. You want to run quiet (if that makes sense) by not hitting your heals. You should be hitting your foot almost flat and again with shorter strides. My running store (Luke's Locker) also had a free running clinic where we learned about our form - I learned a lot and have adjusted how I run.

Good Luck!
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! I have been fitted for shoes, although I'm probably due for a new pair soon (and new insoles as well!). I'll definitely have to find a place that I can have someone watch my form if I plan to take running seriously any time soon.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Too fast, too soon, too much, too long = shin splints

Over striding, heel striking = shin splints

There is a lot of info at Runners World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/get-over-it-shin-pain

Ive run for years and always seem to have shin splints. After a 2 year lay off I started running in minimalist shoes and havent had any problems. (I ran over 75 miles last month)

Best advice is run every other day. Gradually increase the distance. Run slow. Forget speed for at least 6 months. Use a fore or mid foot plant and keep you body over your feet.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've lost about 40lbs in the last year. Last year I had attempted to start running, but I kept getting shin splints. I was wondering if anyone else had lost a significant amount of weight and found that they could run at their lighter weight without getting shin splints? I've tried to do programs like C25K, and had always gotten shin splints, no matter how little I ran.

I asked my doctor about it last year, and he said, "you're just not a runner." Helpful. Very helpful. =/

Your dr sounds like a tool. Shin splints are very common and I think sound more disgusting then they are. Sure they hurt, but it's do-able.

Before and after a run, roll a tennis ball on the bottom of each foot and then rub it hard into your shins. The first time I did that with shin splints, I nearly cried. But that run was MUCH better. Within a week, my splints were gone.

My sports dr said to make sure I have good running shoes. I do.