Are there any vegans here?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    MEEEEE!! Also there is a group called Team Vegan with lots of people!!
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm Vegan.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan :D
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How to spot a Vegan: DON'T WORRY THEY'LL BLOODY TELL YOU!

It appears we weren't identifying ourselves for the OP to have crated this thread. You and logic don't get along, do you?
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    Vegan- leaning vegetarian who eats vegan more than 99% of the time here. Don't have many recipes, as I love to just throw things together, but one of my favourite breakfasts comes from here:
    http://www.stuffed-grapes.com/2013/01/the-secret-to-eggy-tofu-scramble-indian-black-salt/
    I tend to up the nutritional yeast and go creative with the veggies, though. Great recipe if you crave something a bit eggy tasting.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Asian Style Slaw with Edamame

Dressing
    ¼ cup fresh lime juice, 2-3 juice of limes
    2 T tamari or soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, crushed (I use 1 T of jarred crushed garlic which is milder but more convenient)
    1 T sambal olek (crushed red chilli paste, found in the ethnic aisle)

Mix dressing. Add ¼ cup chopped peanuts to dressing (they don’t fly all over your kitchen when they are coated in dressing before you toss salad)

Bag of carrot slaw (3 large grated carrots or match stick carrots)
    Bag of broccoli slaw (could also use coleslaw cabbage mix)
    1 or 2 sweet peppers (red and orange work best)
    2 cups edemame, cooked (I buy the frozen shelled kind and cook in the microwave as I’m making the dressing)

Toss salad and dressing.

Additions
    Mangoes
    Canned mandarin oranges
    Red cabbage, grated or finely chopped
    1 t Sesame oil for the dressing

Carrot Cake Style Oatmeal –modified from ohsheglows.com

make enough to have for a couple days of breakfasts

2 cups quinoa (I use half plain/half red)
    2 cups of milk alternative ( I use soy)
    4 cups water
    2-3 medium carrots, finely grated
    1 T cinnamon
    2 t ginger
    1 t nutmeg
    1 cup raisins, soaked and drained (I microwave them for 3 minutes in ~3 cups of cold water to plump them)
    2/3 cup crushed walnuts
    1 T vanilla
    1 t lemon juice
    2T to ¼ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
    Optional 1 T maple syrup (I don’t bother any more)

Instructions
    1. Rinse and drain quinoa in fine mesh strainer. Add to large pot (I use dutch oven)
    2. Add spices to quinoa and mix well.
    3. Peel and grate carrots. Add to quinoa and mix well.
    4. Add milk and water
    5. Bring to a boil. Watch pot as the addition of milk can cause the liquid to froth as it heats. I’ve had bad experiences with milk boiling over and burn on the stove…smoke alarms going…ugly.
    6. Reduce to low, add raisins and walnuts and simmer for 12-15 minutes (see quinoa instructions—brands vary a little)
    7. Shortly before quinoa is done add vanilla, lemon juice, quinoa.

Mixture should be a little wet. When you reheat add a little milk or water.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Coat tofu in nutritional yeast and pan fry tofu in PAM until crispy. Sautee sliced bell peppers, onions and bamboo shoots to your preferences, then toss with tofu in a light teriyaki sauce. Serve alone or with quinoa (if you like fusion, add caluiflower to the mix and wrap in a low-calorie torilla). One of my favorites. Not a vegan anymore, but vegetarian who consumes very little dairy unless going out (mostly to make things easy for my non-veg girlfriend).

You and your gf should go to a place where you can both get the food you want. In my opinion, things should be made easier for you. She can eat anywhere! My husband is vegan, but when we go out to eat with family or friends it's always to a place we can all enjoy!
    She does. There are a lot of good vegetarian places in Atlanta that we go to regularly. Mostly, it's that I feel bad making her give up food she likes, not due to any pressure from her. She's actually quite proactive in looking at menu's before we go places to make sure there is something wherever we go that I'm happy with. No complaints from me.
  • ObeseLies
    ObeseLies Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, I'm gonna try them!!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    vegan here as well! add me!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a Raw food vegan :smile:

I have a few cool, yummy recipes.

And I could use more vegan friends as well.

Raw, Vegan Bircher Muesli

1 *heaping* cup rolled oats (use GF certified rolled oats if you are allergic to gluten)
    1/3 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 fuji or honeycrisp apple (or apple of choice) grated with a mandolin or box grater
    1/4 cup goji berries
    1/4 cup dried mulberries
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 3/4 cups homemade almond milk (if you want to use storebought instead, you might try 1 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup coconut milk yogurt for a rich, creamy texture!)

Place all ingredients in a bowl and soak overnight. Dig into breakfast bliss.

(Makes 3 small or 2 generous portions)
  • darla499
    Options
    How to spot a Vegan: DON'T WORRY THEY'LL BLOODY TELL YOU!

Or in this case, how to spot an omnivore.

LOL! Caught one!
  • darla499
    Options
    Raw Rainbow Wraps with Mango Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:

Wrap:

Large collard leaves
    Red bell pepper, sliced
    Carrots, julienned
    Yellow and green zucchini squash, julienned
    Purple Cabbage, chopped
    Mango Dipping Sauce:

1 Ripe mango, peeled and chopped
    1 Carton cherry tomatoes, about 2 cups
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1 Handful of fresh cilantro
    Directions:

1. Slice, peel, julienne, and chop all of the wrap fillings.
    2. Using a sharp knife, remove all or most of the collard green stems. This allows for more flexibility when it comes time to wrap.
    3. Lay out the fillings across the collard leaf and roll it up as you tuck in the sides of the leaf.
    4. For the dressing, place all of the “dressing” ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (or desired texture, if you prefer a chunkier sauce).