Lifting questions?

Options
Hi. I have a few questions about lifting. I want to try weight lifting but I'm not sure when/where to start. Do I need to lose the rest of my excess weight first (20lbs) or can I lift to lose it? I was thinking of buying the new rules of lifting for women, is this good for a beginner or is there something better? How much should I eat? Right now I eat about 1800 calories(-300 for breastfeeding) without working out. I really hate cardio and my gym membership has been collecting dust. I went to the gym 4 times this week and loved lifting. It's something I could enjoy I think. I'm nervous about what to eat while lifting. Any helpful advice or pointers would be awesome! Thank you!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can eat at a deficit while lifting in order to continue to lose fat. You may see some muscle gain as someone new to lifting, but not a lot. your progress on the scale will slow as you will retain more muscle, but you should notice a difference in your size. Make sure to eat enough to support your lifting, and try to get in around 1 gram of protein for every pound of LBM you have.

NRoLFW is a good place to start, especially if you have gym access. I've not read it, but I've read NRoL (my library didn't have NRoLFW), and it was written in a pretty clear way, so I'd assume NRoLFW is as well. Be sure to really concentrate on proper form at first, using just the bar. Add weight once you're comfortable that your form is correct. Muscleandstrength.com and bodybuilding.com have some good videos demonstrating form. Good luck and have fun!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lifting will help with the weight loss! Are you doing cardio as well? If you are in the gym, start with the assisted machines. If you are at home, start light. I prefer free weights because they engage the stabilizer muscles and results are fairly quick.

I recommend joining bodybuilding.com for awesome lifting routines and support. I'm on there as well.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is a great say to spend $15- order it from amazon. even if u dont follow the routine (I am, im mid stage 3 and loving it- taught me so much) its an extremely informative read - you will learn a lot!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

NROLFW is a great starting place & good read. I did it up to stage 6 and went back to doing more heavy, full-body exercises (squats, bench, deadlifts etc) instead due to time constraints, but NROLFW really worked a lot of muscles I wasn't working before.
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys! It's so overwhelming to learn all this new stuff. I want to make sure my eating is good to. Do I eat more everyday or just lifting days? How much do I need to eat?

Eta:can anyone look at my diary and tell me what should change? Thanks:)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Personally I would add100-150 cal daily and keep your protein at around35-40% of your intake. About .7-1 graham per lb of body weight.
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that!