Do you record fruits & vegetables in your diary?

Options

Replies

• AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to read that OP is going to start recording them.

Absolutely they should be included. Not only for the calories but for the macros. Carbs, sodium, and sugars are probably the three biggies to be considered (after calories).

I even count things like "free" iceberg lettuce. :wink:
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do not count accent vegetables. A slice of cucumber, a kosher dill pickle on a hamburger, lettuce on a sandwich or taco. None of it is food. I ALWAYS count fruit because fruit is high in calories due to sugar. Iceburg lettuce is basically crunchy water. If I ate a giant bowl of it (yuck), I would count it. It isnt even really food. Most vegetables have lots of sugar and whatnot so most are food, not lettuce or cucumbers though.

What do you mean by "they aren't food?" Just out of curiosity.

OP, if you're going to use the calorie counting method then you need to count all the calories to get a clear picture of whether what you're doing is working. I have 300 calories worth of fruit and veggies most days. That's a pretty big chunk.
    Oh, I mean they arent food because they are typically so low in calories and high in water. They are basically just fiber, vitamins, and water. This makes them more of a dietary supplement than food. Food has enough calories to actually make me add more than 4 calories to my sandwich or whatever else I am eating with them. Though cucumbers count in sweet pickles (yuck) because of added sugar.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    235 calories for me today from fruits and vegetables. ... over a year that's 25 pounds worth of unaccounted for calories.
  • JMarie1991
    JMarie1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you should be counting everything you consume because some veggies have more calories than you think.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    if it goes in my mouth, it goes into my food diary calories or no calories. If I decide to not log one thing, it leads to "slips" and "nibbles" that don't get recorded and they add up. Even veggies and fruits have calories and calorie consumption is what my food diary is for - ALL of them.

Amen! If you eat - RECORD IT!! good for reference later too, good and bad days, everything....
  • sdpasque
    sdpasque Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Some fruits and vegetables have a surprising amount of calories, but it's good to make sure that the nutrients are also recorded and totaled.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If I eat it I log it.

this
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I count them because I eat a couple hundred calories worth each day. If I go over by a couple hundred calories every day, eventually I'm gonna pack on the pounds, ya know? Plus, I actually track my vitamins and fiber, so I need to know what I've eaten. I'm not really here to lose weight, I'm here to maintain my healthy lifestyle. Tracking fruits and veg encourages me to eat them because when I look at my diary and see a lack of veg it cues me to pack a bunch in to my next meal.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Like one PP said, I don't stress about, like, lettuce on a sandwich. But if I eat a measurable serving of non-starchy veggies, I absolutely log it. And I log all fruit and starchy veggies, always.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes record it. It easily adds up. A banana can run you around 100 cals. Obviously fruits are higher for the most part but it all adds up. Think about the weekly total as opposed to daily. I'd be screwed for the week if I didn't log them at all.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I log it all, but I don't worry about the veggies being exact. I estimate the amount of veggies in my salads.
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Record everything. If you have a salad, estimate how much of each item is in there. For example, 2 cups lettuce, 1/2 cup carrots, etc. It all counts :smile:
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dont bother to record green leafy vegetables most of the time, as it is very smalll in calories. but I will log beans, other types of vege such as broccoli and definitely fruits.
  • Summerxx13
    Summerxx13 Posts: 22
    Options
    I do, not because I'm a freak about how many calories, but because I like to be able to look back and see what I ate. I just generally record everything, even if it's zero calories, just to see what I had that day.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I ate 630 cals of fruit and vegetables today. Just sayin.

I just calculated my fruits and veggies: 572

OP: LOG EVERYTHING! :)
  • meadowslight79
    meadowslight79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do all my BLTS (Bits, Licks, Taste, Sips) I even log diet soda (one because I am trying to cut back on drinking so much) to about my water consumed also. Even "accent" cucumbers, pickles, lettuce, or that 8 calorie sugar free caramel candy!!! Good luck!!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    II record it all. I see why one wouldn't though as they are so low in calories. I just record to force myself to eat them.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    They have calories..you should record them. This isn't Weight Watchers.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I record everything, most of my diet is veggies...
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how I eat a LOT of vegetables and fruit, yes.. I record them. Those calories really add up.