Is Milk Bad For You?

Replies

• JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Both Harvard and Columbia have published findings on dairy and its ill effects, some as grave as contributing to cancer. Countless doctors advise against consuming dairy (including my father's doctor). Your bones depend more on vitamin D from what I understand.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-and-milk/

I can't find the study from Columbia right now online, but check out the Medical journals for more. There is so much out there saying it's not healthy and the dairy industry is dumping millions to continue to make sure the govt includes dairy in the food pyramid. The same agency also makes pus cells acceptable in the milk.

I started to discover this information myself about a decade ago and have since been consuming no dairy, eggs or meat. My blood work, one as recent as last week, always came back perfect.

That article does not say what you think it says. Read it. This is actually the problem with many of these "reports." Most people don't bother to carefully read them and instead hype up what is said/written and put them forth as evidence for their extreme views. As with anything, you have to look at the entire picture and scare mongering (which is exactly what you are doing) is unhelpful at best.

Some important quotes:

"The study did not find any association between overall milk or dairy product intake and ovarian cancer. "

"A diet high in calcium has been implicated as a probable risk factor for prostate cancer. (17) In a Harvard study of male health professionals, men who drank two or more glasses of milk a day were almost twice as likely to develop advanced prostate cancer as those who didn’t drink milk at all. (18) The association appears to be with calcium itself, rather than with dairy products in general"

And most important, the actual recommendation:

"Adequate, lifelong dietary calcium intake is necessary to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Consuming adequate calcium and vitamin D and performing regular, weight-bearing exercise are also important to build maximum bone density and strength. After age 30, these factors help slow bone loss, although they cannot completely prevent bone loss due to aging.

Milk and dairy products are a convenient source of calcium for many people. They are also a good source of protein and are fortified with vitamins D and A. At this time, however, the optimal intake of calcium is not clear, nor is the optimal source or sources of calcium. As noted earlier, the National Academy of Sciences currently recommends that people ages 19 to 50 consume 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day, and that those age 50 or over get 1,200 milligrams per day. Reaching 1,200 milligrams per day would usually require drinking two to three glasses of milk per day—or taking calcium supplements—over and above an overall healthy diet.

However, these recommendations are based on very short-term studies, and are likely to be higher than what people really need. Currently, there’s no good evidence that consuming more than one serving of milk per day in addition to a reasonable diet (which typically provides about 300 milligrams of calcium per day from nondairy sources) will reduce fracture risk. Because of unresolved concerns about the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer, it may be prudent to avoid higher intakes of dairy products."

I am not interested in a debate unless you're a medical professional or a researcher (not the same as an expert googler), but you're quoting out of context. The article doesn't cite direct association, but what it does say is this: "High levels of galactose, a sugar released by the digestion of lactose in milk, have been studied as possibly damaging to the ovaries and leading to ovarian cancer. Although such associations have not been reported in all studies, there may be potential harm in consuming high amounts of lactose. A recent pooled analysis of 12 prospective cohort studies, which included more than 500,000 women, found that women with high intakes of lactose—equivalent to that found in 3 cups of milk per day—had a modestly higher risk of ovarian cancer, compared to women with the lowest lactose intakes. (15) The study did not find any association between overall milk or dairy product intake and ovarian cancer." And that is good enough for me.

Did you also read what the findings on a high protein diet were?

You've pretty much lost any credibility you had with citing the article for the propositions you put forward. And you just did it again. It's called moderation.

You're a moral vegan with an animal rights agenda. You are welcome to your own beliefs but not your own science.

It's in the SAME article. Which you clearly did not read. I have made NO proposition. The science is there and is backed by doctors, including my personal ones. Unless you're one of them, I am not interested in your opinion. That's that.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Dairy Milk causes weight gain: Contrary to what you have been told, milk will actually make you fatter instead of losing weight. If you are in the habit of drinking milk frequently, it is not shocking that you have become overweight. As you drink more and more milk, you will gain more and more weight.

Milk causes a host of other diseases: Besides weight gain, there are a lot of harmful side effects of drinking milk, such as arthritis, constipation, skin allergies, cancer, acne, etc

http://www.healthkicker.com/694635592/milk-is-it-good-or-bad-for-your-health/

That's odd, I drink milk regularly and lose weight just fine.

It's soda that made me overweight.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Both Harvard and Columbia have published findings on dairy and its ill effects, some as grave as contributing to cancer. Countless doctors advise against consuming dairy (including my father's doctor). Your bones depend more on vitamin D from what I understand.

I can't find the study from Columbia right now online, but check out the Medical journals for more. There is so much out there saying it's not healthy and the dairy industry is dumping millions to continue to make sure the govt includes dairy in the food pyramid. The same agency also makes pus cells acceptable in the milk.

I started to discover this information myself about a decade ago and have since been consuming no dairy, eggs or meat. My blood work, one as recent as last week, always came back perfect.

That article does not say what you think it says. Read it. This is actually the problem with many of these "reports." Most people don't bother to carefully read them and instead hype up what is said/written and put them forth as evidence for their extreme views. As with anything, you have to look at the entire picture and scare mongering (which is exactly what you are doing) is unhelpful at best.

Some important quotes:

"The study did not find any association between overall milk or dairy product intake and ovarian cancer. "

"A diet high in calcium has been implicated as a probable risk factor for prostate cancer. (17) In a Harvard study of male health professionals, men who drank two or more glasses of milk a day were almost twice as likely to develop advanced prostate cancer as those who didn’t drink milk at all. (18) The association appears to be with calcium itself, rather than with dairy products in general"

"Adequate, lifelong dietary calcium intake is necessary to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Consuming adequate calcium and vitamin D and performing regular, weight-bearing exercise are also important to build maximum bone density and strength. After age 30, these factors help slow bone loss, although they cannot completely prevent bone loss due to aging.

Milk and dairy products are a convenient source of calcium for many people. They are also a good source of protein and are fortified with vitamins D and A. At this time, however, the optimal intake of calcium is not clear, nor is the optimal source or sources of calcium. As noted earlier, the National Academy of Sciences currently recommends that people ages 19 to 50 consume 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day, and that those age 50 or over get 1,200 milligrams per day. Reaching 1,200 milligrams per day would usually require drinking two to three glasses of milk per day—or taking calcium supplements—over and above an overall healthy diet.

However, these recommendations are based on very short-term studies, and are likely to be higher than what people really need. Currently, there’s no good evidence that consuming more than one serving of milk per day in addition to a reasonable diet (which typically provides about 300 milligrams of calcium per day from nondairy sources) will reduce fracture risk. Because of unresolved concerns about the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer, it may be prudent to avoid higher intakes of dairy products."

I am not interested in a debate unless you're a medical professional or a researcher (not the same as an expert googler), but you're quoting out of context. The article doesn't cite direct association, but what it does say is this: "High levels of galactose, a sugar released by the digestion of lactose in milk, have been studied as possibly damaging to the ovaries and leading to ovarian cancer. Although such associations have not been reported in all studies, there may be potential harm in consuming high amounts of lactose. A recent pooled analysis of 12 prospective cohort studies, which included more than 500,000 women, found that women with high intakes of lactose—equivalent to that found in 3 cups of milk per day—had a modestly higher risk of ovarian cancer, compared to women with the lowest lactose intakes. (15) The study did not find any association between overall milk or dairy product intake and ovarian cancer." And that is good enough for me.

Curious. Do you know what "modestly higher" means?

I will give you a hint. It doesn't mean a lot.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Some important quotes:

You've pretty much lost any credibility you had with citing the article for the propositions you put forward. And you just did it again. It's called moderation.

You're a moral vegan with an animal rights agenda. You are welcome to your own beliefs but not your own science.

It's in the SAME article. Which you clearly did not read. I have made NO proposition. The science is there and is backed by doctors, including my personal ones. Unless you're one of them, I am not interested in your opinion. That's that.

Yes, it is the same article. It doesn't say what you believe is says because either you haven't read it, or you lack the reading comprehension skills to understand it.

Best of luck with your diet and health endeavors.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Dairy Milk causes weight gain: Contrary to what you have been told, milk will actually make you fatter instead of losing weight. If you are in the habit of drinking milk frequently, it is not shocking that you have become overweight. As you drink more and more milk, you will gain more and more weight.

Milk causes a host of other diseases: Besides weight gain, there are a lot of harmful side effects of drinking milk, such as arthritis, constipation, skin allergies, cancer, acne, etc

...you're not serious with the above link?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    I belive that consuming milk is unhealthy past weaning and then only species specific mother's milk is best ;)
    I have not had any dairy since I was about 18 months of age to no ill effect and no meat for the past twenty years, finally giving up fish in the past year and a half. I would say I am very healthy.

Morally I am against consuming dairy and meat products also. I am into being humane to all creatures :)

Watch videos by Dr. Michael Greger regarding meat and dairy consumption....very informative. I agree with he and others that humans do best on a plant based diet.
    There are so many amazing alteranatives out there that do no harm to other creatures and are healthier for our bodies, why not try them? :)
    Calcium is best for example from dark leafy greens like kale, collards and spinach....
    When you get it from milk, your only getting it second hand anyhow as the cow is the one who ate the greens (grass)...why not get it form the originial source?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

When you get it from milk, your only getting it second hand anyhow as the cow is the one who ate the greens (grass)...why not get it form the originial source?

Because I don't have 4 stomachs.
  • ssb16
    ssb16 Posts: 38 Member
    Listen to your body not articles. For example I can't eat mushrooms but others can because my body makes me sick when I eat them.

I used to drink cow's milk in my teens but stopped for 10 years. Now I drink Almond Milk and love it. Try some alternatives it won't hurt.

I won't say its good or bad to drink cow's milk. There are some that digest it well and other that don't. The question is what does it do for you?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member

Did you not read the rest of my comment? I said the best sources are from kale, collards and other leafy greens... which you do not need four stomachs to digest!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I belive that consuming milk is unhealthy past weaning and then only species specific mother's milk is best ;)
    I have not had any dairy since I was about 18 months of age to no ill effect and no meat for the past twenty years, finally giving up fish in the past year and a half. I would say I am very healthy.

Morally I am against consuming dairy and meat products also. I am into being humane to all creatures :)

Watch videos by Dr. Michael Greger regarding meat and dairy consumption....very informative. I agree with he and others that humans do best on a plant based diet.
    There are so many amazing alteranatives out there that do no harm to other creatures and are healthier for our bodies, why not try them? :)
    Calcium is best for example from dark leafy greens like kale, collards and spinach....

This is what is called hijacking. This thread is about "Is Milk Bad For You?" It's right there in the topic. You can argue about your moral beliefs but it's off topic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Terrible articles telling only part of the story and a bunch of correlation not causation. Typical scaremongering - nothing new.
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    If you're like most gooks, I mean Asians...you're more likely to be lactose intolerant. I've read several comments on here and you do need calcium combined with vitamin D. Vitamin D will only work if you expose yourself to sunlight for about 15-30 mins. Ever wonder what metabolism means? Most people will think "Burn calories" or something like that but realistically, its a chemical reaction in your body that responses to certain things. Any medical students or wannabe medical students like myself in here? I've tried almond milk before and didn't like it much but I drink it because I know its good for me. I don't know if coconut milk does anything but I have yet to try out goats milk though.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Milk killed my mama

I love you. For reals. Will you marry me?
  • Sarauk2sf

Oh my lawdy, I just about died laughing.
  • Sarauk2sf

Did you not read the rest of my comment? I said the best sources are from kale, collards and other leafy greens... which you do not need four stomachs to digest!

I don't need 4 stomachs to digest milk.
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member

Some important quotes:

Yes, it is the same article. It doesn't say what you believe is says because either you haven't read it, or you lack the reading comprehension skills to understand it.

it is no use trying to convince someone who lacks the ability to comprehend an article as 'complex' as this to someone who doesn't even want to know what the writers want to convey but instead hastily change it into a context that she herself want to believe.

What she is harping on n highlighted in bold regarding the link with calcium...so she is actually suggesting that we all cut out all sources of calcium all together.

I give up. And peace out. =D
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member

Some important quotes:

it is no use trying to convince someone who lacks the ability to comprehend an article as 'complex' as this to someone who doesn't even want to know what the writers want to convey but instead hastily change it into a context that she herself want to believe.

What she is harping on n highlighted in bold regarding the link with calcium...so she is actually suggesting that we all cut out all sources of calcium all together.

I give up. And peace out. =D

I am not suggesting anything as that isn't my study. But your comments make it clear, when you resort to insulting someone is when you actually have nothing to say. So next time don't say anything at all.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Almond milk is for baby almonds.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member

That's odd, I drink milk regularly and lose weight just fine.

It's soda that made me overweight.

Since I began my quest for healthy Ive drunk milk everyday and lost 185 pounds...just saying...
  • u_mad_bro
    u_mad_bro Posts: 42 Member
    Baby cows are starving because humans are drinking their milk. You should be ashamed of yourselves.