The Scale says...erm..different stuff!

Options
-So, I weighed in at the doctor over a month ago,and nearly burst into tears when I saw the numbers.
-After working really hard for a month, I weighed on my own new-ish scale,and slowly totaled 9 pounds lost (41 to go). However, I can't help but to notice every time I go to weigh-in on my scale, it's never on zero.Always 2-4 pounds off, so I have just been making sure to subtract a pound or 2,but not the whole amount. I figured being over would help motivate me.
-Well,yesterday, my s.o. and I were at his brother's house. I decided to use his scale, which is over by a pound or two apparently. I was horrified. His scale (which also doesn't start at zero) weighed me about 10 pounds heavier than mine!
-I tried weighing in at the gym, yet another completely different weight!

That is 4 different scales, giving me a whole lot of mixed results! Which one should I go by? I know it seems obvious for me to buy a new one,but mine is only a couple of years old,and if I bought one, it would have to be a cheap one...the same kind probably, because I am laid off of work and have a pretty tight budget. So, anyway...which one would you trust? ..OR should I just buy another cheap scale and see what it says?

Replies

• flanchick
    flanchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to regularly use 1 scale (yours at home). I've heard of people testing their scales but putting 5 pound bags of sugar or something heavy to see how accurate it is. As long as the numbers go down....it's all good.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I own a digital scale, Taylor brand. Can be found at major stores and online.....
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I own a digital scale, Taylor brand. Can be found at major stores and online.....

I looked at a few scales, but as I said, I am on a very tight budget. Yes, even to the point that $20 could throw off my payments. I have a car payment,plus insurance for said car,and no job (yet...ugh). I really really have to watch anywhere I can to save some of my income. =/ I know that sound completely ridiculous. haha
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Toss the scale and take pictures.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I think the important thing is to regularly use 1 scale (yours at home). I've heard of people testing their scales but putting 5 pound bags of sugar or something heavy to see how accurate it is. As long as the numbers go down....it's all good.

See, that's what I thought, pay attention to how far over it's weighing, then just make sure my numbers are dropping,but for all I know, it's just saying whatever it feels like! haha Weighing something that's a set weight on it would really clear that up though. I will give it a shot,and if it's all wrong, I will just have to buy another one.
  • kckBxer396
    Options

That depresses me so bad I can barely stand it. haha I can't tell a difference at all. My boyfriend will say, "well you look a lot smaller in this one." I never can see it. Then I get super depressed,and my only interest is wishing I could crawl into a hole in the wall.=_= I have really severe body image issues.. ..haha
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Reajust your own scale by putting a 5lbs dumbbell on it (or any other dumbbell with a known weight).
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    Reajust your own scale by putting a 5lbs dumbbell on it (or any other dumbbell with a known weight).
    I have a 10lb so that should work fine! Thanks =)
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i agree with just using one scale and paying attention to whether the numbers go down or not.

However, if you want another scale, join your local Freecycle (google it) and get a free one.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

That depresses me so bad I can barely stand it. haha I can't tell a difference at all. My boyfriend will say, "well you look a lot smaller in this one." I never can see it. Then I get super depressed,and my only interest is wishing I could crawl into a hole in the wall.=_= I have really severe body image issues.. ..haha
    Take the pics in the same cloths once a month. Crop it so you have no head. This can help trick the mind into looking at your body objectively.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I jumped on the scale the other day and didn't let it go to zero first, it weighed me as 57 lbs lighter.... Don't obsess over the scale. Keep doing what you should be and see if the number drops. If not, go to your Dr's office or the health dept. They have better scales.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I found you a new scale...

stock-photo-yellow-tape-measure-on-rolled-up-on-white-background-77201539.jpg
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Take measurements.
  • cujina
    cujina Posts: 7
    Options
    My scale tends to jump around (digital) depending on where in the bathroom it is. Seriously 7 inches to the right can make the difference of 2-3 lbs. I don't know if my floor is uneven or what.

So, I position mine in the same place every day exactly and weigh in nude...

Only to find that I've lost no weight.. /sigh.. (except that one day when I gained and lost 5lbs in 36 hours - I think that was too much sodium).

At least its somewhat predictable...

Don't know if this helps...
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I own three scales and they all show a different weight, with a 6-lb spread from the highest to the lowest. I don't get on one, then walk to the other and say "ZOMG I gained 6 lbs!!". I just use one and keep track of what it says, and only it. You need to resist the urge to jump on every scale you see. It'll just drive you crazy.

You said your scale doesn't show zero even when nothing'as on it...is it a dial scale? Don't those all have a little adjustment thingy on one side to set it back to zero when it wanders?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    The number doesn't matter.

What you feel like is what matters.

Just as long as the number - on ONE scale, that you consistently weigh on - goes down, then why does a few pounds difference between scales matter?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    That is an awful lot of weighing.

Your weight fluctuates during the day, sometimes wildly. Just try to be consistent, use your home scale.

It's also time for you to focus on other measures of success than just the scale. Do your clothes fit better? If you are working out, have you had any increases in your performance?

The scale is just one measure of success, and it's not even the best one.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Stick with one scale on a hard surface.

I haven't had problems with the weight on a scale, but an older body fat scale pegged me at about 20 % lower than my real number.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Most analog scales (ones with a dial) have an adjustment on them to zero them out. The Doctor scales (if they are the old balance type) have a screw to balance them at zero. The adjustment on the scales I have been in contact with is usually found on beneath the back of the scale where the dial is located. That being said, I was recently in Fort Walton on vacation and was at the exercise room at the motel... I stepped on the scale and wanted to take them home with me right away since they told me that I was 170 pounds--and it had zeroed out before I stepped on it... (I knew it was a lie since I had weighed in at home at 220 and this closely matches all the scales that I have access to so oh, well)... Obviously, it was in as good of shape as the weight machine was (deteriorated cables)... All that being said, try to find the adjustment on your scales and monitor the progress that way. Your most accurate weight will likley be the Doctor weight (taking into account the clothes you are wearing at the time and the time of day)... However, your weight trend is more what you are trying to monitor.. As one other person indicated, it really is more about your measurements, how your clothes feel, etc that shows progress because body fat reduction is really what you are after and if you are doing any strength training at all, you may well be making more progress than what the scale indicates... If not, perhaps less real progress than the scale indicates.

Best wishes on your endeavour.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I own three scales and they all show a different weight, with a 6-lb spread from the highest to the lowest. I don't get on one, then walk to the other and say "ZOMG I gained 6 lbs!!". I just use one and keep track of what it says, and only it. You need to resist the urge to jump on every scale you see. It'll just drive you crazy.

You said your scale doesn't show zero even when nothing'as on it...is it a dial scale? Don't those all have a little adjustment thingy on one side to set it back to zero when it wanders?
    I tried adjusting it a few times,but it won't stay put. It automatically drifts back to the 2-4 pound area. You're right though. It doesn't really matter as long as it's showing some sort of progress.