whats your weakest area? strength training

Options
124»

Replies

• BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have a lagging muscle group then do more sets on a given day to target them and take less rest between the sets. That's how I brought up my rear delts. Which is usually a lagging area for a lot of people because most exercises hit the front and middle delts.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Well not one group. pull ups

Also my right leg is weaker than the left but not smaller. It fails sooner. And no, I don't always start on the same side (talking pistols and lunges)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My shoulders are weak, I assume it has something to do with them being smaller muscles in general but I can push myself everywhere except my shoulders I push them hard and feel it for days afterward

Where is your weakest area and how do you overcome it?

Same here. Might have been down to a shoulder injury while climbing thought. :whistles innocently: (Rock climbing, not breaking and entering.)

I still work them via progressive strength training and they are getting stronger. Consistency is key.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

http://eserv.co.uk/irl2/how-to-do-a-pull-up/

:drinker:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

That's basically what I'm doing! By pull-up though, I mean with the grip about shoulder width.

I have access to a good bar here, so I do my one rep, then use the trx to get up and finish out the set with negatives.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

That's basically what I'm doing! By pull-up though, I mean with the grip about shoulder width.

There is no other pull up! ;)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think many including me can agree that we tend to shy from what we are poor at. Almost every female here states their legs are strong while upper body is weak. Years ago I took pride in developing a muscular strong upper body and never cared about legs. I can still at 50 can bench 315 but my leg press and squat is probably less then many of the women here stating they have strong legs and have trouble with a 55 pound bench press. Reason I need to work on my weak areas.

Nope, I focus on my weak by hitting legs twice a week. They're getting there, was able to squat 140 this week so they are definitely improving.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    A combination of my core and over all flexibility.
  • Seekerman
    Seekerman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with some friends. I guess I'm weird for a woman, since legs are my problem.

I deadlift 165, OHP 65, Bench 100, and squat 115. :grumble:

QA8pk64.jpg?1

I was the same way, could bench almost as much as my squat. I started doing SL and the 3x a week squatting got my squat up fast, now I can squat 50% more than my bench at least (in just a couple months).

That is fast progress. Awesome. I should drop the leg press and just do squats. This is what I read anyways. I bench double my squat so I am bad.

HMV

You got a great build there so congratulations on your hard work. Did you neglect legs earlier in your training or have some kind of injury? Both are true for me. I am trying squats now. I only work with 85lb for form then up to 115 pounds. My one rpm max only in the 145 lb range right now.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with some friends. I guess I'm weird for a woman, since legs are my problem.

I deadlift 165, OHP 65, Bench 100, and squat 115. :grumble:

QA8pk64.jpg?1

I was the same way, could bench almost as much as my squat. I started doing SL and the 3x a week squatting got my squat up fast, now I can squat 50% more than my bench at least (in just a couple months).

That is fast progress. Awesome. I should drop the leg press and just do squats. This is what I read anyways. I bench double my squat so I am bad.

HMV

You got a great build there so congratulations on your hard work. Did you neglect legs earlier in your training or have some kind of injury? Both are true for me. I am trying squats now. I only work with 85lb for form then up to 115 pounds. My one rpm max only in the 145 lb range right now.

At first I just did lower weights bc I was running so much preparing for my first 1/2. Then 12 weeks out from my race I stopped my leg workouts all together bc I thought it interfered with my running progress. Big mistake, huge! That resulted in an IT injury and poor hip flexors. Started to train legs about 6 weeks after the race but slowly until I felt comfortable. They just felt weak and could never progress. Finally started seeing improvements 4-6 weeks ago and then this week was just a home run for me I guess. Hope to improve next week!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My weak point seems to be my forearms and elbows. In saying that I use them at work a lot, so I think when comes to lifting weights, they say enough. I don't consider myself strong yet, but I lift a lot at work and have noticed a big improvement in functional strength from rows, dead lifts and squats. So while I feel like progress is slow, there is progress. I also have a bad neck and shoulder issues. I do consistent training with them and it helps.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Welcome. And for the record, I deadlift twice what I can bench. It's usually OHP < bench < squat <deadlift.

^^^^^^ This is true for me as well. However, my squats are really close to my deads right now.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Back, without a doubt. I've always had a hard time improving in back workouts. My progress is always half the speed of other areas, and it's the first place I plateau.
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options
    I can deadlift about 90lbs, but can barely bench 40?

I don't know much about muscles or whatnot, but that seems a bit odd to me.

Think about the muscles that you're utilizing. It can be anywhere from your quads, gluts, and some part of your lower back (I forgot what those muscles are called. There's like 3 or 4 of them). There is a possibility that you're utilizing your lats and traps in the process too. Or even your abs?
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options
    Lower back due to injury, obliques, forearms, quads, hamstrings, serratus anterior and delts.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, hubby told me he didn't want me to have big, huge man-shoulders.
    I told him no danger of that happening... :noway: