Never set a real goal before....

Options
Goal Time: Looking to lose around 20lbs.+ (honestly like 40lbs.) by August and I need some tips...This is the first major goal I've made for myself so I really need some support. I need to look good for myself so I can be happier around others. I'll be seeing my best friend in August and I want to show him I'm doing good! I know it's a huge goal but I really want this. Is it do-able or am I just shooting for the stars?

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's doable as long as you set your mind to it, and keep at it! It will be tough especially if you are just starting but you will get the hang of it and succeed! One thing I would also consider is taking measurements (especially if you plan on exercising through this). Muscle weighs more than fat in that if you have 1 cubic inch of muscle it will weigh more than 1 cubic inch of fat. So as you exercise you may not see the scale move but you will see inches coming off which can be just as good if not better!

I also set mini goals for myself. Like once I hit 5lbs lost I could get my nails done, 10lbs lost new shoes, etc. Some people even do tip jars for themselves so every lb lost a dollar in the jar then at the end when you reach your goal you can spend it on whatever. I found that mini goals made it seem a lot easier because they were baby steps instead of a huge leap.
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    Options
    So here is the crappy thing about all this weight lose stuff....I don't have a scale or any measuring device. Don't know if I'll be getting one soon because I'm pretty poor and I'm saving for this vacation to see my best friend.
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    measuring tapes are about $1.50 at a fabric store, highly recommend
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    measuring tapes are about $1.50 at a fabric store, highly recommend

that is do-able!
  • jjwalker77
    jjwalker77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So here is the crappy thing about all this weight lose stuff....I don't have a scale or any measuring device. Don't know if I'll be getting one soon because I'm pretty poor and I'm saving for this vacation to see my best friend.

There is a scale at my bank that a lot of my friends use for free! Or at the YMCA or a lot of places - your doctor's office - anywhere. Good luck!
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    bump
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    bump
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Set a major goal, but also remember to set small goals. like drink a little more water each day., or be in bed and get 8 hours sleep each night. once you've hit those goals, they actually become a part of your new lifestyle. I still set major and minor goals all the time.

good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Your biggest driver for weight loss is going to be diet. Eat healthy, eat enough, don't eat too much and try to hit your macros.