Overeating during weekends

Options
I end up going over my calorie limit during weekends, especially Friday and Saturday's....I just don't seem to manage these 2 days....I eat clean during weekdays and stay withing my calorie limit. Is it fine if I save few calories during weekdays and use them for weekend treats? Does it work ? Have any of you tried it and managed to still lose inches/ weights? I work out 5 days a week and apparently do not workout on Saturday and Sunday! I follow TDEE-20% ...Any advice is appreciated....Thanks...

Replies

• lalaninjacakes
    Options
    Don't stress! Your body needs a break from the 'clean eating' and having one day, or two, where you eat what you want is probably a good thing so your body doesn't get used to the low calories. How much are you going over by?

I tend to stay within my limit all week, sometimes over, sometimes lower, but as long as I keep it low fat, the calories don't matter so much as they can be burnt off through exercise. As long as the fat content of what you eat is low, or sensible, then don't fret it.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Haha, your body does not need a break from clean eating - what a hilarious thing to say!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know that weekends are harder for me, because I'm home, and it's the only time i have to cook, so i'm cooking and tasting... and more tasting...

so - what i try to do is make sure to exercise on those days also, even try to do more than usual. this helps me (a) actually tone and exercise and (b) gives me a few hours each day that I can't be eating:laugh:

I see that you don't exercise on the weekends - is it possible for you to incorporate exercise on those days? it doesn't have to be the gym - it could be walking or hiking, or even vigorous housecleaning or yard work.

of course you CAN eat over your calories for the day (or two) - i find that whenever i pig out on the weekend, i end up gaining about 1 lb by sunday, even if i've been under my calories all week. I'd rather not be doing that.
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    Your body needs a break from the 'clean eating' and having one day, or two, where you eat what you want is probably a good thing.

:laugh:
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too
  • lilpocketrocket
    lilpocketrocket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Upping your workouts on the weekend and having your rest day during the week, pre-plan your meals counting the weekend, are my suggestions.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Haha, your body does not need a break from clean eating - what a hilarious thing to say!

I'd agree that your MIND needs a break from clean eating every now and again. I think the biggest saboteur is the feeling of deprivation and being hard-done-by. If you're able to treat yourself with something 'unclean' occasionally and in moderation, psychologically you'll be in a much better place to keep up your motivation on a day to day basis.

An uncontrolled splurge back to old habits is never a good idea, but one planned treat at the weekend I think is really important. It also lets you learn that you can eat 'bad' foods in a controlled manner without throwing the diet out for the whole day.

I think the all or nothing approach leads to failure more often than not.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question would very much depend on your goals. Quite honestly, I don't think going over for a few calories would kill off your progress. However, if by not being able to stick to your goals during weekends means that you swap from clean eating to junk food intake, that sounds like going on a binge to me. And that certainly doesn't help and most certainly doesn't count for evening things out for being good during the week. Would be good to have a bit more details. But as long as your diet is balanced and you go over your calories goal fort a bit with healthy food intake then I wouldn't worry too much.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can look at your calorie intake by the week rather than by the day. You could allow yourself more calories on Friday and Saturday and divide up the remaining calories over the other 5 days.

Say your calorie allowance is 1500 per day. 1500 x 7 = 10500 calories for the week. You may want to have 2000 calories on Friday and 2500 on Saturday (2000 + 2500 = 4500).

10500 - 4500 = 6000 calories left for the other 5 days = 1200 calories per day for Sunday to Thursday.

If you do TDEE - % you may have a bigger starting allowance, so could be more generous at the week-end provided you eat less in the week.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and this is my approach; I don't see why it can't work for weight loss too. Just try to up your activity on weekends to counterbalance your intake. Make sure you track everything accurately and stay within your calories on other days.

I have to say, logging on the weekends is essential for me. Keeps a 2,000 calorie day from turning into 2,500+.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Is it fine if I save few calories during weekdays and use them for weekend treats? Does it work ? Have any of you tried it and managed to still lose inches/ weights?
    That's what I do. Im maintaining now, but the principle is the same.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had a bar of dark chocolate and got guilty....I am having home made food except for the dark chocolate and a fried samosa that I had :( It scares me when I have oil fried stuffs.....phew...but they are so so tasty....I have to make time for workout today at any cost...thanks for your suggestions guys :)
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i ate a hamburger with cheese and fries on the side on friday. ive been obsessing about eating it for a month, then i gave in.

i felt ILL and couldnt move. never again!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think it's a conditioning thing. We are taught that the weekends are our time to rest, relax and have fun. All of that plays into food choices. I find now that eating "fun foods" hurts me physically. Not just the numbers on the scale. It causes me headaches and gastric distress.

So, I try to treat myself in different ways. Good luck with your weekends!
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bad habits during the week even if small and trivial will lead to bad habits on the weekend even your cheat day options should still have healthier aspects and not be say white castle or KFC
  • carlayyy2308
    carlayyy2308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This used to be me massively.
    My weigh in day used to be a Thursday then Friday and Saturday I used to go mad then sun to thurs I’d be strict again.
    I’ve now moved my weigh in day to a Monday so the weekend is no longer the enemy and I’m finding I have a more even eating pattern throughout the entire week.

xx