ObamaCare....Your thoughts

Options
trink68
trink68 Posts: 48 Member
Do not want to start a political argument (though Im sure it will).But I am just curious about your thoughts on the new healthcare bill about to go into effect.Like it? Dont like it? You worried? Is it one of the reasons your trying to get healthy,for fear of higher costs for being over weight? Im just curious....please no arguing.Just want some opinions:smile:

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    In before the sh*tstorm, but I feel it doesn't do enough. If we had the healthcare that Canada and the UK has, it would be way better. Just my opinion though. So it's a good start, but it could have been better. I would rather have Universal Healthcare. Then everyone could get basic healthcare. Also, would be nice if dental was covered.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In the past two years, my health plan has gone up 35%, $250 a month this year alone and this is NOT a "cadillac" plan (I'd hardly call that affordable)...they are saying that it might also go up another 40% after it takes full effect at the end of the year. Why? How has this helped?

Insurance was originally designed to transfer the risk of major issues not to cover all the things people "want"...many bankruptcies created by medical expenses are due to major issues and expenses and not the little things people could pay themselves.

When are we going to learn to tell ourselves and others "no", the country is bankrupt, we can't keep saying "yes" to get reelected ESPECIALLY when those DC smucks won't even allow this crap to apply to themselves.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I myself can't wait till i can get it after losing my job 5 years ago I have been w/o insurance. I can only find part time work and recently got laid off again. I don't qualify for state medical although my 10 yr old does (Thank God) . It would be nice to have something affordable so I could go to the Dr when I'm sick. I have been fighting a chest cold for over 2 months. I do go to a local free clinic for my female visits ( gyno/ mamogram) But when it comes to basic stuff I just have to deal with it or try over the counter stuff and hope it works.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When the swine flu hit in 2009, Australia (population 22 million-ish) had 1/6 the number of cases as the USA (population 305 million-ish). So, percentage wise, Australia had a far higher number of cases.

Australia's death rate in percentage was 0.005%. USA was 0.4%. Subsequent studies showed that this was almost solely due to American citizens not going to the doctor or emergency room, or waiting too long to go, because they didn't have insurance and were concerned about the costs. Universal healthcare, even in a basic sense, saves lives.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    As a bill that was intended to make health care affordable, and available to all Americans, it is probably a colossal failure. Prices are going up, and that means less people can afford it. (Mine went up to $17,500 a year for my family which does not include what my employer pays - I live in MA and we MUST have insurance) What I don't get is that poor people can have their insurance paid for by the government. Rich people can easily afford insurance, and now, we are forcing more people who already couldn't afford it, to buy it. And interestingly, Congress doesn't have to have this plan. And to top it off, certain groups can opt out.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is your rates are going to increase and doctors are going to retire because their margins are getting smaller.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    While i am not that informed nor educated on this latest health care bill, i believe the healthcare system in general, among many others in the U.S., is a giant cluster**** and simply broken. I think modeling it along the same lines as the UK and Canada isn't a bad idea, but there are some major kinks to be worked out. Forcing everyone to pay for healthcare whether they want it or not and regardless of economic status, i don't think is a good idea. But, the argument seems to be that that is the only way to make it accessible and possible to everyone. Preemptively fund it, i guess?

I don't know what the answer is, but i do not think we've found the solution yet.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is your rates are going to increase and doctors are going to retire because their margins are getting smaller.

i love the memes in your photo gallery!! :laugh:
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The thing I never get about US healthcare is how the US puts up with a situation were it spends such a high percentage of its gdp on healthcare but have so few people covered in so few circumstances. Most european countries have pretty universal healthcare and pay 9-12% of gdp for it. The US pays 18% of gdp for a system that seems to let a lot of people have no healthcare.

Many countries spend much less per person but achieve much better coverage (and longer life expectancy, lower maternal and infant mortality rates). It's a clear case of market failure. The way its being done isn't working and I think it needs a better rethink than obamacare- which is a good start from a humanitarian point of view.

As someone who lives in the UK, there are some difficulties with the UK system- as with all public sector entities it can be a big bureaucratic behemoth. But it has saved my skin several times and it costs the UK just a little over half in gdp terms of what the US pays ( just over 9% as opposed to just under 18%) France has a pretty good system that allows both universal provision and a market competition between providers that comes in at 12% of gdp. It is insurance based, premiums are capped I think, people have to pay a small fee to see a doctor so they don't go frivolously and anyone who cannot afford insurance gets state provided insurance. There is competition between different physicians and hospital chains and so on, so there is genuine choice of provider and incentives for providers to have good standards and a good reputation.
  • trink68
    Options
    Well I certainly do not want to model it after the UK.I have read hundreds and hundreds of horror stories about their healthcare system.Bottom line is it is flat broke.I for one do NOT want my Dr's decisions dictated by a someone in DC only concerned with saving money.

Personally I like some of the bill.But overall I think we are in huge trouble.My Dr and insurance agent agree.I know personally my rates were just jacked up $29 a month as of 5-1-2013.I have my own insurance.I get it cheaper than I can through my job.

As for Canada....They are currently re-introducing private insurance.I have an uncle that lives in Toronto.Has told me all about it.Says the quality is decent but the long long waits for simple procedures is way to much.

My question is....why not just open up the market? Why should we be able to have only a hand full of insurers in each state? Auto insurance,home owners,fire....just about all other forms of insurance are available over state lines.Why not medical? What are they hiding from us? We all know competition brings down costs.Look at Lasik eye surgery as an example.It use to be astronomical .....now its failry cheap.Competition.

I guess time will tell
  • trink68
    Options
    The France system sounds like something doable.I guess Obamacare is kind of the same in some sense.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Now that we've fixed all the healthcare problems in the US, its time to fix other things.

I think the government should give everyone 'affordable transportation' also, so everyone can have a car.
    The rich already have multiple cars, the middle class will have to pay more for theirs, and the poor will all be given free access to cars while the working class foot the bill for it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Now that we've fixed all the healthcare problems in the US, its time to fix other things.

I think the government should give everyone 'affordable transportation' also, so everyone can have a car.
    The rich already have multiple cars, the middle class will have to pay more for theirs, and the poor will all be given free access to cars while the working class foot the bill for it.

Did you seriously just compare healthcare to cars?:huh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Surely this is sarcasm?
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I wish it was single payer. It's alright. I mean I have a preexisting condition in the form of a genetic condition and now I can't be denied because of that.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The US already has universal healthcare, it's just a lot more expensive. In emergency cases, a person must be treated and stabilized, regardless of ability to pay. Since preventative care is expensive without insurance, those who cannot afford it do not seek treatment until the condition has progressed to emergency condition, which is almost always more expensive to treat. When hospitals cannot recoup those costs from patients, those costs are covered by tax dollars. Providing universal access to preventative care will help reduce costs. Tax dollars already pay for health care. This way, people get a better life for a lower total cost; the costs are just more visible now.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I was taught that if you can't say something nice about someone or something, don't say anything at all. Silence!!!!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My thinking: It costs way more to treat someone who has had a heart attack, than it does to have that person on a preventive program (because they can afford to see a physician regularly). Whatever gets us there as a country, I'm for it.

Our healthy country is a productive country. National healthcare is an investment in our country.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The US already has universal healthcare, it's just a lot more expensive. In emergency cases, a person must be treated and stabilized, regardless of ability to pay. Since preventative care is expensive without insurance, those who cannot afford it do not seek treatment until the condition has progressed to emergency condition, which is almost always more expensive to treat. When hospitals cannot recoup those costs from patients, those costs are covered by tax dollars. Providing universal access to preventative care will help reduce costs. Tax dollars already pay for health care. This way, people get a better life for a lower total cost; the costs are just more visible now.

So accurate.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is not good enough. We need universal health care coverage for everyone, like the rest of the civilized world has. The cost of health care is out of control and even many of us that have coverage do not go to the doctor because of outrageously high deductibles and co-pays. It is really shameful.
This discussion has been closed.