c25k experiences

Options

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    LOVED IT. Turned me from a non-runner to a triathlete and am now training for my first half marathon. I recommend it to everyone!
  • Love4MN
    Love4MN Posts: 60
    Options
    When you started the C25k did you skip the rest days or run on those days as well. I feel like i'm not accomplishing anything by taking my rest days but I have heard it can be counter productive to run on those days
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    When you started the C25k did you skip the rest days or run on those days as well. I feel like i'm not accomplishing anything by taking my rest days but I have heard it can be counter productive to run on those days

Take the rest days...perhaps use one of the 'rest' days for cycling/elliptical or other cross training.

as the course progresses, it gets more demanding. rest days are just as important as training days,and stretch after each session. forging good habits NOW will save you a ton of injuries later!
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you are going from not running at all, I would take the rest days in order to help prevent injuries. You can always cross train on rest days though such as riding a bike or swimming.
  • Love4MN
    Love4MN Posts: 60
    Options

Take the rest days...perhaps use one of the 'rest' days for cycling/elliptical or other cross training.

as the course progresses, it gets more demanding. rest days are just as important as training days,and stretch after each session. forging good habits NOW will save you a ton of injuries later!

awesome thanks for the advice!
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the program is great! I started it twice before it really clicked with me - I didn't stop because it was too hard, I was just lazy. The third time I decided to stick with it no matter what, and I did. It might have taken me a little longer because I repeated some days, but I did it. I've been running for two years now. I still dislike the running part, but I LOVE finishing a run. I'm slow (the first time I actually went a whole 5k, I think my time was like 41 minutes), but I just did a 33:15 5k today! My fastest ever. Yay!

The rest days are important. Believe me - even if you feel like you could run, don't. After you finish it you can reevaluate how much your body can handle, but it does need rest. I still don't run every day (I do bodyweight or strength exercises on my non-running days). I agree that you should get in the habit of stretching after a run, too. It makes my muscles a lot happier, at least!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My experience: I started it when I was 44 and had never run before in my life. Since then, I've run countless 5ks, completed my first half marathon this May, and am just about to start training for my first full marathon.

Beware. It's dangerous. :laugh:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about 2.5 years ago hoping to get off a weight loss plateau and maybe run a 5K; since then I lost about 40 pounds and ran every distance from 5K to a marathon (twice). The program works!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have started it. I started about a month ago and completed week 1. Then I got sick and did nothing for 2 weeks. So I started back last week. Finished week 1 again and now I am nervous about moving onto week 2. I'm pretty sure I can do it but what if I can't? I will be really disappointed. But I'll never know till I try.

This is exactly what happened to me, I repeated week one and moved on to week 2. I found that my body is awfully good at knowing when 1 minute (the time you run for in week one) is up!! Everything in my body suddenly screamed "Stop running!", but I carried on, counting seconds, and found that I was programmed to run for one minute! :laugh:

By the end of week 2 the "Stop running" message was weaker and came later into the run. I'm going out soon to do week 3 for the first time. It will be interesting to see if I get the "Stop! Stop!" message after 90 seconds.
  • beattie1
    Options
    I've just finished week 2 - not looking forward to running for 3 minutes on my next run,.....

Just come in from doing week 3 for the first time and found it totally do-able. :happy:

I run a route from home - and where I live going up and down slopes is unavoidable, but I was lucky how the gradients worked out. I ran UP slopes on the 90 second runs, but the 3 minute runs happened to work out to be on the level or going downhill. :smile: Neat!!

It sounds really stupid to say this, but starting this program it really came home to me how much harder it is to run uphill than it is on the level or downhill. Well, DERR!! :ohwell

Maybe for the third time through I should rearrange the route so I try running for 3 minutes UPHILL. That'll be a workout!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I loved it! Went from a walker to a runner through the program about 2.5 years ago. I now run half marathons on a regular basis :happy:
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just did week 5 day 3 yesterday. I am so proud of myself! Week 5 is tough you go from 5 minute runs to 8 minute runs and end with a 20 minute run. When I started this program I struggled through the one minute run - Now I did a 20 minute run! The amazing part its that I even liked it!
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am on Wk 3 Day 2 and love it. Today was tough for me, but I pushed through and didn't stop. I have found that the program works if you follow exactly what it tells you to do.

On the days I don't run I swim and do weights. I agree that some days it feels easy and I am tempted to run additional days, but don't do it. Trust the program!

Good luck:smile:
  • redhotbeads
    redhotbeads Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Reading all these responses gives me a lot of hope. I've tried running in the past, but it has never really worked for me - my biggest problem being shin splints! What's the best way to combat them?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are doing it together and it absolutely works. We did W6D3 yesterday while running in our first 5K. We turned it on at the beginning, walked briskly for 5 minutes, then jogged 22. After that we just jogged and walked as we could. We finished in 42.08. We are already registered for another one, and have several more we are gonna try to do if our schedule will allow. And yes, week 5 is tough. The only failure we had was our first attempt at day 3. We tried to run at 3:30 in the afternoon and it was very hot and humid. Tried again the next day and mAde it with ease. You can do it!
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 2 - not looking forward to running for 3 minutes on my next run,.....

Just come in from doing week 3 for the first time and found it totally do-able. :happy:

I run a route from home - and where I live going up and down slopes is unavoidable, but I was lucky how the gradients worked out. I ran UP slopes on the 90 second runs, but the 3 minute runs happened to work out to be on the level or going downhill. :smile: Neat!!

It sounds really stupid to say this, but starting this program it really came home to me how much harder it is to run uphill than it is on the level or downhill. Well, DERR!! :ohwell

Maybe for the third time through I should rearrange the route so I try running for 3 minutes UPHILL. That'll be a workout!

Mine works out the opposite and it makes a huge difference. My 90 seconds are all downhill and my 3 minutes are uphill. I've already had to repeat week 3 twice because I simply burn out at around 2:30 on every 3 minute run. It's so frustrating!
  • beattie1
    Options

Mine works out the opposite and it makes a huge difference. My 90 seconds are all downhill and my 3 minutes are uphill. I've already had to repeat week 3 twice because I simply burn out at around 2:30 on every 3 minute run. It's so frustrating!

Can you do the route the other way round or walk a bit extra before you start the download to get yourself in a better position to start from?

I've been telling myself that I'll get fitter quicker than if I were doing this indoors on a treadmill or on the flat, so there is some benefit from learning to run hill from the start. I suppose you've tried taking smaller steps?
  • RachelaT90
    RachelaT90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am starting this soon and found this post so motivational! Fingers crossed I have as much success as you guys :) xxx
  • beattie1
    Options
    I've just come in from doing my third week 3 run and I'm looking forward to going on to week 4. The second 3 minute run was all downhill, I turned the corner as "Laura" said to stop running and continued to run, uphill, for another 2 minutes :-) This podcast seems shorter than weeks one and two, so I ran almost to my house when it finished and just walked the last few hundred yards.

Bring on week 4 - on Saturday, I hope!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are a number of these programs, but they're all very similar. They are good for getting you to be able to run a 5K. Most can run one after completing a c25k, but usually pretty slowly (relative). You'll have to continue to train to get faster and go further.