Water Vs Cordial/ Squash

Options
Hi! This has been something that has been on my mind, and I can't find a definite answer anywhere online.

So at the moment I'm not drinking straight water, I am adding squash to it so it has some extra flavour (Robinson's No Added Sugar Summer Fruits).

Do you think I should just give up squash and just stick to straight water, or do you think taking my 2 litres of water a day with some squash is fine?

Also same question with fizzy flavoured water (it is about 5 cal for 250ml, and has no added sugar). Would it just be better to ditch it and stick to water?

Replies

• GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found drinking 2 litres of water difficult - I then started using sugar free blackcurrant juice - much more palatable. Water is best as there are no additives etc but it's all about being able to drink it in sufficient quantities to keep you hydrated
  • vickyjane1710
    vickyjane1710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, ive been doing the same thing for a few weeks now, doesnt seem to be doing me any harm. Even when i input regular squash into the MFP database, the sugar and calorie counts are still virtually zero. Im going to keep adding squash, its better for me than 2L of tea and coffee!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You will get varying responses here, but I say if that is how you are able to drink it and get in enough to stay hydrated, then drink it that way. That way is better than not at all.
  • LilyGrey
    LilyGrey Posts: 18
    Options
    Although I do enjoy water, sometimes I really do just want cordial and recently I tend to drink that more than water. I say go for it; you are getting your water intake and the sugar and calories are negligible enough to be worth it. It is much better that you get your water with a few extra calories than not get it at all!
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer who insisted you could only drink water on its own. This seems to be a bit of a chemistry fail. He felt water "stopped working" if you added anything to it. Makes you wonder how you can get water from fruit, then...

A lot of it will depend if water tastes nice where you are. The water at work tastes vile, so I wouldn't drink it on its own. Realistically, the odd splash of squash isn't going to do you a lot of damage.

I'm sure some people would say it's unnatural, but I think it's a matter of perspective. It's also what you're used to. I think sometimes people make personal taste into a moral issue. Like I haven't drunk full fat milk for years, so I find the idea really gross. I could say I'm opposed to all the excess fat, but mostly it just tastes wrong to me compared to what I'm used to.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    herbal tea is nice too. that way i skip the artificial sweetners & such.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All fluids count except alcoholic ones
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you think I should just give up squash and just stick to straight water, or do you think taking my 2 litres of water a day with some squash is fine?

It's fine, it's well over 90% water and we tend to get at least 70% of our water intake from assorted beverages other than water.
  • Fiiddlestix
    Fiiddlestix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do the same but i add Robinsons Barley squash instead as this is somehow supposed to be a tad better than ordinary squash. Strawberry and kiwi tastes amazing! Find it so much easier to get the recommended daily water intake if drank with squash rather than on it's own.
  • kimbyfly
    kimbyfly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all your responses. I don't feel so guilty now! I am 9 days off Coca Cola. I was addicted to it, and squash is like my little crutch at the moment. I have started drinking fizzy water aswell, but I probably won't drink that much of it tbh because i don't want to be reliant on fizzy drinks again, even if it is just carbonated water. Maybe i will try water with every meal, and then squash the rest of the time.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Just make sure to count any calories in the squash/cordial.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I feel the same and drink supermarket own brand high juice, no added sugar orange squash. I make it weak, count the calories (which aren't a lot) and enjoy the fact that it helps me drink water. I think there's no need to be Puritanical about it.
  • jezamon
    jezamon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There's only 4 calories in a serving of sugar free squash and not much else in it, so carry on withe it I say! I personally hate the 'taste' of water on its own, so always add squash to it :)
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. I will add I think water is preferable....but there are days I don't want water, these times squash is better than nothing. In particular if I've a headache, a time when I really need the fluids and I really can't face water, I'll get 1 cup of coffee then squash in to me. Generally by then I can face the water.

But....some suggestions. Herbal tea, chilled in the fridge can be really nice - my favourite is peppermint - I really like this on a hot day. In restaurants, I've been given water with long slivers of cucumber and mint - this was really really nice also. Consider are there other ways of jazzing up water. In the winter time, lemon + ginger in hot water first thing in the morning is nice.

I consider the addition of herbs/veg to water as water. It's only when sweetners - sugar or artificial, that I try to avoid them.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking low cal tesco squash since I started losing weight last September. I drink it in carbonated water. 1 to 2 litres a day. It ain't done me any harm.