ive lost 9 lbs in 1 week (is it to much)?

Options
so i tried the Low carbs diet ,. reducing from 300 carbs to about 125 , and swapping all unhealthy carbs completey out (no bread no pasta no rice no potatoes) but still eating fruit and veg

so far ive lost 8-9lbs (depends on the day) and peopel are saying its to much

the only thing ive noticed is im allways hungry :)
and normally in the morning my toilets arnt happy.

im keeping up my water intake. and im eating enough protein/fruit to cover the loss of carbs4

anyway i feel ok. and ofc much lighter. ive got my griend doing it too and she has lose 5lb;s in 1 week.

Replies

• Vanessa1977
    Options
    Why is it that guys on here seem to drop weight so quickly
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Its not unusual to lose that much when you start a new program - especially if you've been drinking more water than usual. It would be tough to lose 8-9 lbs of fat in a week, it's probably just water weight and any excess waste you've been carrying around - good things to be rid of.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling light headed - maybe have more protien, lean chicken, fish, maybe have some unsalted nuts just to boost your energy levels.. they also keep you full between meals..

Rice and pasta can be healthy if you only have small portions and are wholemeal.

hope this helps a little!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    IF this is your very first week I don't think that is unusual. I lost 10 lbs my first week (wasn't counting carbs, just calories). You wouldn't want to keep up anywhere near that pace...wouldn't be healthy and probably wouldn't stay off but the first week I wouldn't worry. Good luck!
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual but be careful. Unfortunately the quicker you lose weight the quicker you put it back on.

I did the no carbs thing and lost a stone in two weeks but as soon as I started introducing carbs back into my diet I put the weight straight back on.

The best way to lose weight is slowly using a balanced diet you can live by forever. Everything in moderation.

Best of luck!
  • mcfake
    mcfake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yeah im trying not to do "NO CARBS" as i think id struggle so its just no "fatty" carbs. i stil have me weatabix in the morning to keep me going.
    and im not lihgt headed just hungry :P

i have actully been training and dieating for 3 months now but nothing worked so i tried no carbs. and wow what a massive change from losing 0 pounds in months to this. hence my concern.

well week 1 = 9lbs ish. i doubt week 2 will be as much tho.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I lost 10 lbs in the first week and then about 5 the second week. I think it has to do with your activity level before you start really "trying" and how drastically you change your diet. A low carb diet will definitely make you shed pounds fast, but just be weary of how extreme you go. Awhile back, I tried the SBD, and on "phase 1" you pretty much get rid of all carbohydrates. Well, week 1 of phase I Iost about 7 lbs, but then went on vacation and had a hot dog and the next morning I was 5 lbs heavier. hahaha. Anyway, make sure you do keep doing it the smart way or else your body will feel very deprived and will cling onto the carbs you DO eat. And make sure the few carbs you are having are quality. :)
  • tonyameers
    tonyameers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry in betwen you need to make sure you snack every 2 - 3 hours to keep the blood sugar levels constant and perhaps eat some nuts or cheese with your fruit as this helps to fill you up and helps with keeping the blood sugar levels constant. I was told this by a nutritional therapist who i went to see to help me lose weight and she also recommended that i cut out the starchy carbohydrates like pasta, rice and bread. i feel so much better eating this way and have a number of friends and family who are also trying it now that they have seen me lose weight.

9lb is a lot in one week but having said that it will depend on how big you are to start with as generally the larger you are the more you lose in the beginning but you should aim for 1-2lb a week. I lost 3lb the first week and then steadily 1-2lb per week. I've now lost 1 and half stone since the beginning of March and i've noticed that the weight loss is slowing down but is still coming off and i'd like to lose another stone ideally but if I don't quite get there I'm not going to lose sleep over it at least I'm now in my healthy weight range and feel better than I have in years, I just wished I'd known about doing this years ago.

keep going you'll feel so much better in the end.
  • Heather1127
    Options
    Probably also depends on how much you weighed before too, but I agree with some of the others, possibly only about half that was actual fat but good for you anyway! Keep going!
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I bounced back 3 lbs after losing 8 lbs in a week, now Im running normally at 3lbs a week loss
  • mcfake
    mcfake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well i did way total of about 18.7 stone. Im quite tall 6'4 so its not like im huge :).

Im not a fan on snacking its like cheating :).

the only negative ive noticed is my stomach is very "noisy". :P its constatly growling. especialy after food. and well its never been that constant b4. no pains just noise .
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Per Dr Oz's web site,
    "So here's some advice on carbohydrates

Skip refined and processed foods altogether
    Read the label to see if there is added sugar (be wary of the chemical words ending in "ose")
    Choose whole grains (oats, whole wheat and brown rice), beans, legumes, fruits and vegetables
    Try to have 40% of your total caloric intake come from complex carbohydrates
    Avoid the lure of low-fat foods, which contain a sizable amount of calories from sugar
    Avoid the lure of low-carb foods, which sometimes have more calories from fat"

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/good-carbs-vs-bad-carbs.

I like Dr Oz. His "Truth Tube" results on the women on his show helped me to successfully diet and exercise away 35lbs (1.59 stone)---I lost 10 lbs before I started at this site.

Best of success in your new healthy lifestyle. :drinker: (water)
  • vencellia
    vencellia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My opinion that's fine the bigger we are the more we tend to lose in the beginning! I lost 14 pounds my first week starting out! So I say as long as you feel good keep at it!!! Great job!!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't think a 9 lb. loss your first week is a cause for concern. What I do find concerning is that you say you feel hungry all the time and your stomach is constantly growling. That is your body's way of telling you you need to eat! If you're getting physical hunger cues, you should probably be eating a little something. Snacking is not "cheating." Many experts recommend 5-6 small meals a day to keep blood sugar levels steady. And honestly, how many of us have ever lasted very long on a diet where we're hungry all the time? It just continues to grate on you until you say "screw it" and dive headfirst into a bowl of pasta.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    I have lost I don't know how much weight my first week, but in total Iv lost 24 pounds and its been a month, I would say I am like losing a pound a day. I have been working out for 2 hours every other day and 1 hour the other days. 7 days a week pretty much. I haven't been really hungry, I have granola bars I eat when I feel bit hungry. I look at things like this, 2 slices of plain pizza 660 calories while a 8 ounce sirloin steak has 424 calories and a baked potato has 160 calories, which would you rather eat. So for 584 calories I can eat steak and baked potato or 660 calories I can eat 2 slices of pizza and still be hungry.

I love mayo on long rolls with some turkey and cheese, lettuce,tom,all that good stuff vinegar , I dont put oil, I used mircle whip instead of mayo which has half the calories and I still eat big azz sandwich with tall glass of water thats about 600 calories.

You can eat to get full, just need to think out the box and choose wisely. At least that is my thought.

If losing more than 1-2 pounds a week is bad, I think Im in trouble, cuz Im not starving myself, Im drinking 8 glasses of water in my first 2 hour work out. Only problem I can see is Im exercising to much , so I thin k Im being healthy about it. So am not sure losing to much weight fast is bad or good, I dont feel bad.

Im eating about 2000 calories and working off between 800 and 1400 a day.