Weight lifters, calorie help! Please!

Options
I am so confused in figuring out how much I should eat. All the TDEE calculators give me different numbers:

TDEE:
Mifflin-St Jeor: 2248
Harris-Benedict: 2350
Katch-McCardle: 2021

BMR: 1526

Can someone help me figure out what I should eat based on these numbers and wanting to lift. Which TDEE do I use?

I am going to start lifting, so I don't want to have a big deficit. I want to properly fuel my body. Do I add an extra 100 calories for lifting? I want enough calories to build muscle, I don't want to overeat either. I'm not severely overweight, I'm 5'6" and 160lbs (huge boobs account for some of that;) Also, I breastfeed so whatever the total I come up with, I'll need to add 300 extra calories for that.

Is this right:
TDEE 2200(middle one)x 0.15% cut= 1870 calories. 1870+ 300(burned breastfeeding)= 2170. Do I need to add more for weight lifting or should I keep it here? I've been eating around 1800-1900, so this seems high to me. With lifting do I even factor in the 0.15% cut? 2170 seems like a lot to eat and still lose weight.

Please help me figure this out? My diary is open, any pointers in what I should change there would be great too! Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Slight spike in calories but up your protein intake ..a high protein diet all e is beneficial to weight lose..do some googling to find out more..one gram of protein equals 4 cals..I try to take in almost 30% of my gals from protein..doesn't always happen but its a goal
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think my protein is set at 40% (not that I've been hitting it). I eat a ton of carbs, in fruit form, is that bad? I do not eat much grains, so my carbs are fruit and veg. Should I limit them to 30%?
  • Runhard13
    Options
    Give me a second to look at your diary...I know cutting carbs is really hard so ive been watching sugar more
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am still learning too. One thing I was told (probably not by an expert, but it did come from more than one person) is that you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. When I have weighed in at the club on the Tanita, that has borne itself out...times that I have lost any sort of significant weight, I have lost some muscle too. The time my weight was up slightly (by about 2-3 lbs) I had gained 2 lbs of muscle and lost a pound of fat. When that happened, I had been going several weeks without restricting calories, just eating when hungry (but still relatively clean). So it seems to have borne itself out with experience.

Now that I am trying to lose again, I am expecting to lose some of that muscle again. Again, I was told the answer to this dilemma is to alternate periods of time trying to lose by eating at a deficit with periods of time eating at maintenance or slightly above to try and build muscle. I am still trying to figure out how that should work!

I am interested in faber's reply to you, and will take his advice into consideration for my own use as well. I too have gotten conflicting numbers that seem high from sources like yours. It seems the recommendations you have gotten are relatively close. My guess is that you will have to choose one idea (from him or other sources), try it for a few weeks, then adjust calories slightly up or down according to your results.

Thanks for your post!!!
  • Runhard13
    Options
    So your cals are high for breastfeeding I take it? You still losing weight? You make some great choices just would need to substitute more protein ..like I think the weight watchers wheat wraps have five a piece..sometimes ill just get turkey from the deli and eat it plain...otherwise tuna..greek yogurt ..or blend your own shakes at home
  • Runhard13
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more then fat..a lb of feathers is the same as a lb of bricks..easy now to visualize which one takes mor e space ..you might gain weight with strength training but your clothes will fit better and your body fat % will drop..which to me is the truest number of your health not your weight
  • AiabliamsMommy
    Options
    Fabre, I allow an extra 300 for breastfeeding. I will work on the protein, my hubby is bringing home a protein shake mix for post workouts as we speak :) anytime you wanna check up on my diary and help me stay in line feel free! Lol, I'm gonna try this amount of cals and see what happens:)
  • AiabliamsMommy
    Options
    Faber, dang autocorrect!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have been weight training since February and have lost only 1 pound in that time (But I am at a healthy weight already).

I eat 300 calories under my TDEE (eat 2000 per day) with about 35% of calories coming from protein and train 3x per week. In that time, I lost the 1 pound, but also dropped body fat percentage by almost 3.5% (loss of inches). My clothes fit better and I can almost wear a bikini in public now. :)

I think your estimates are a good place to begin - after 6 weeks, reevaluate and see how it is going. Make sure to take measurements.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i lift 3xs a week with a trainer. Since my nutrition was so bad, she had me start with writing down everything I ate. She would look at it and tweak the mistakes. Example was carbs in the morning such as oatmeal (you need the carbs for energy if you want to lift)/ but then you don't want to keep adding carbs all day long. maybe with dinner a small potato. I'm not counting calories at all but I do watch my portions. Palm sized protein and fist size carbs. I started with her Arpril 8 and had only lost 4 lbs in all that time. Once I finally got it through my head how to jockey things around to counteract too many carbs or fats, I lost 3 lbs in 1 week. I am 5'4" and started at 198 lbs.

Mary Ann
  • odirish
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more then fat..a lb of feathers is the same as a lb of bricks..easy now to visualize which one takes mor e space ..you might gain weight with strength training but your clothes will fit better and your body fat % will drop..which to me is the truest number of your health not your weight

this is so true. I am losing inches, before scale weight.

mary ann
  • AiabliamsMommy
    Options
    Thanks, I will take measurements. I didn't think about that! I am not as worried about the scale as I am the %of body fat. So I'll track that too.

I get a lot of carbs, mainly fruit and veggies, but still a lot. Maybe too many?

I will see how this works and adjust from there:) thank you! Any other tips on lifting appreciated as I am feeling out of my element here!
  • odirish
    Options
    Watch the fruits, they have sugars even though they are natural. I do maybe a banana with my oatmeal or maybe an apple with 2 HB eggs for a snack and then that's it for the day (for me). I react to the sugar so this works for me. If you are new to lifting and your gym has a circuit, try using that for a few weeks. That's a great way to begin lifting and safer because it helps you keep your form. I've been lifting since '98 and have never lost any weight because I didn't adjust my diet. Granted, I am still over weight, but now my mind is in the right place so I have no doubt that I'll reach my goal. My trainers BF is a professional bodybuilder and trainer. He worked in with her and I on Friday. He told me do not focus on the scale because I would lose inches before scale weight. He said nutrition is 80% of the game. Since you are breast feeding, I'm sure you would need more calories than me. (I've never done that) so I can't help you with that. Hey it took me forever to learn this. It's a process. just remember, carbs before lifting, protein after.

Mary Ann
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Any reason not to use the site's numbers to track numbers VS TDEE etc..? As a beginner lifter, you'd probably see some decent gains in strength and maybe some muscle.

I recommend keeping the calories where they are, track them here and in 2 weeks see how you feel. Maybe a mnth
  • AiabliamsMommy
    Options
    ^ idk, I figured this would be reliable:)

I can't cut fruit, it's where my carbs, nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber come from:)