Toning thighs

Options
As my fat is melting off, I'm am developing wrinkles in my inner upper thighs. Ug. I know.

I know I can't tone fat, but I do find that my thighs are not strong at all. What would you do to strengthen them?

I swim an hour a day doing breast stroke, freestyle and am starting butterfly. I also walk the dog about two miles per day. I have knees that don't allow me to run.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When does your resistance training program begin?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Immediately, I am resistant to it, as we speak!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options

what he said..its a MUST!!!!
  • u_mad_bro
    u_mad_bro Posts: 42 Member
    Options

So you want the results resistance training would give you, without actually doing any resistance training?
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So you want the results resistance training would give you, without actually doing any resistance training?
    [/quote]

GO GO "Operation "thigh gap" "
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lol. Check out Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Wendler and NROLFW. Figure out which program suits you and stick with it.

If you lack equipment, check out Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Agreed. A good starting point is squats, squats and more squats. Also don't rule out running unless your knees really are shot. I've got osteoarthritis in both knees, was crippled with pain and lack of mobility, was told by doctors not to run or do high impact sports, I ignored them and took up running last year and my knees have never been better. My knees are damaged anyway, but I've found the muscle strength running has given me (not to mention the flexibility from plenty of stretching out afterwards) has reduced the pain and my need for medication no end. I just make sure my gait is right, my shoes are cushioned and I ice them and take my medication afterwards. Not for everyone, I know, but for me the medical advice I got was overcautious and completely wrong.
  • u_mad_bro
    u_mad_bro Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Don't be hating on my goals. We're all here for different gaps.

Edit. Because you broke the quotes man.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Don't be hating on my goals. We're all here for different gaps.

Edit. Because you broke the quotes man.

funny-gif-excited-kid-baby-happy-1.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to gym equipment, so I've been doing body-weight strength training. Squats, and the more difficult variations of them, have helped strengthen my upper legs. The huge bonus, is that the added strength has really helped take the pressure off my knees (I have rheumatoid arthritis).

"You are your own gym" and the companion book (aimed at beginners) "Body By You" are fantastic.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    These are all great recommendations and options for you to choose from. One more (that I like) is Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. There are many options really. Many are good. Go ahead and try it and you can always switch to another as you learn more about what you like and what helps you with your goals and obstacles.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Just because you are "resistant" to resistance training, doesn't mean you can't look into it and find something that works for you?

I noticed you mentioned wanting stronger thighs, or feeling that your's are weak. They are pretty easy to strenthen so try looking up thighs on mfp and maybe even squats and stuff like that. As an alternative you could google stairs and see what kind of results those give you. Just throwing some ideas out there to get you started looking into things. Sometimes we are resistant to things that resemble something else we are afraid of, and sometimes we just simply don't understand it well enough.
  • 808haoleboy
    808haoleboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats. Past parallel if can.
  • butterflycutie1
    butterflycutie1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats. Past parallel if can.

Agree. I do a lot of these and lunges. :)
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do the. 30 day shred, gillian Michael's that has squats and free weights and is only 20 minutes per day. It is killer. I tend on doing swimming four days per week and shred as often as possible. As soon as this stupid flu goes away.