Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not enough potassium

ncmedic201
ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
I'm struggling to get enough potassium in on a daily basis. Anyone have suggestions? I'm trying to control my BP without medication and without being on super low sodium diet. I was able to come off my meds back in January but that was by lowering my sodium to about 1000 mg or less a day. I really don't want to eat that low of a sodium diet. It's to difficult to maintain. I think the only reason it worked was due to my potassium/sodium ratio. If I can bring my potassium up, I think I can have a more realistic diet.

Thanks!!

Replies

• soonerwife41
    soonerwife41 Posts: 43 Member
    Bananas!! That is the only thing that I know of, lol!!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Sweet potatoes!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Coconut water as well, and its lower in calories than bananas
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    swiss chard
  • ncmedic201
    I want to get my potassium up to around 4500 mg a day. I actually made a shakeology shake today with coconut water, banana, plain yogurt and a scoop of the shake powder. It made 3 glasses! I drank 2 which gave me about 1000 mg. I got another 1100-1200 at dinner. I'm just not sure how to maintain a daily menu that gets me where I need to be.
  • ncmedic201
    I've never tried swiss chard. Do you prepare it like bok choy or spinach?
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Black tea has a TON of bioaccessable potassium, so does beef. When I was working my last job, I'd be potassium deficient most of the week, and then make up most of the weekly deficit in two nights because I drank so much unsweet tea. If you can space it out through out the week, it have a better effect than trying to cram it all into a couple of nights.
  • ncmedic201
    Cool, I didn't realize black tea had about the same as coffee.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I've never tried swiss chard. Do you prepare it like bok choy or spinach?
    It's about the same as spinach. I eat it raw in banana smoothies.
  • ncmedic201
    Cool, I'll have to try it. Thanks!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Just a quick observation that many foods listed in the MFP database do not include their potassium content. My guess is that you already know that but wanted to note it just in case.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, chard, bananas, watermelon, coconut water, plain yogurt, avocado, almonds, celery, eggs, and mushrooms are all good sources of potassium.
  • ncmedic201
    @Beachiron, thanks. I have noticed that. Even trying to find information online is so confusing! Seems like everyone shows a different amount. I don't know where to look for good data.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Thanks for the page.
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Just a quick observation that many foods listed in the MFP database do not include their potassium content. My guess is that you already know that but wanted to note it just in case.

This. It's not a requirement on food labels, so you're probably getting at least slightly more than your data shows.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Sweet potatoes!
    White potatoes, too. And make sure you're eating the skin.

A low-sodium diet is pretty easy, though, if you cook at home mostly and learn to season with spices other than salt. I'm below 1,000 every day without even trying and I eat a lot of cheese.
  • ncmedic201

When not eating like I should, it's about 140/90. When I maintain a lower sodium diet (about 1000 mg or less) It comes down to about 120/80 or less. It's just hard maintaining a diet like that. I'm thinking that if I can do 1:1:3...1 calorie, 1 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium averaged out for every meal then I should be able to eat more realistically and control my BP with diet and exercise.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

When not eating like I should, it's about 140/90. When I maintain a lower sodium diet (about 1000 mg or less) It comes down to about 120/80 or less. It's just hard maintaining a diet like that. I'm thinking that if I can do 1:1:3...1 calorie, 1 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium averaged out for every meal then I should be able to eat more realistically and control my BP with diet and exercise.

How much exercise are you doing and how long have you been doing it?
  • ncmedic201
    I'm just starting with the exercise again. I'm having difficulty really getting going right now though because when my systolic is up I get terrible headaches. I'm trying to get my BP down and my healthy eating in place before I worry too much about my calories or really getting hard into exercise. I'm working out about 20-30 minutes a day.