Advice to quit smoking please?

Options
1235»

Replies

• gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've gone cold turkey in the past (as soon as I found out I was pregnant) and I wound up replacing that bad habit with hard candy, gum, and food. Like a moron, I started smoking again 6 months after my son was born. My kiddo is now 2 and I'd really like to quit again because I felt so much healthier and want to be around for a long time for him but I'm worried that I'll cave into the same "replacement habits" as I did before. So, my question is, does anyone have any tips on how to go about kickin the butts while not resorting to food as replacement? I figure sugar free candies can be a fall back but all that fake sugar isnt healthy either. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated :flowerforyou: Thanks!

i say cold turkey is the best way to go this next november 10 will be 7 years for me..... i found that you have to really want it in order to do it. just like with weight loss.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used Champix ( I believe its called Chantix in the U.S. though). It seems to be a very different experience for everyone. You are supposed to start with 0.5 mg once daily for the first 3 days, then 0.5 mg twice daily for the next 4 days, then continue on 0.5 mg twice daily or increase to 1 mg twice daily thereafter, and you are on it for 3 months. I personally took it for 2 1/2 weeks and that was enough for me to kick the habit, but my husband took it for almost the full time. I also kept my dose at half cause it made me soooo nauseous. My husband on the other hand had no side effects other than graphic sex dreams(lucky jerk lol).

My motivation to quit was to step up my game when it came to my running, so really, thats what I did... atleast until I found out I was pregnant hahahaha. So the weight gain was not killer for me. It may be different for you. My husband gained some weight, but I am not sure how much of that was quitting smoking.... or sympathy weight from eating all his pregnant wife's crazy cravings lol.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I set a date about 6 weeks ahead. I knew what day I was going to quit and every day before that day I mentally prepared myself for the change. I didn't freak out, I just started really getting myself ready.

Then when the day came, I quit as planned.

I used a nicorette inhaler for the commute to and from work the first couple days just to get through that trigger, and then it was all cinnamon toothpicks from there on.

I smoked for 31 years (and tried quitting a few times). I've now been quit for 3. I think preparing my mind for the change really helped with my task. I had already decided and was ready for it by the time quitting day came, so the triggers didn't seem as bad
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Catch bronchitis and feel like crap two days after you quit... it worked for me :)

My actual plan had been to quit cold turkey, and get the inhaler or lozenges if, and only if, I couldn't make it, but I felt soooooo bad when I was sick I didn't even notice the nicotine cravings.

Seriously, though, remember that triggers can happen the first time you do something that you used to do while smoking. For example, the first wedding I went to after I quit (two years after), I felt like I needed a smoke at the reception. The craving comes back like you haven't quit. It only lasts a few minutes though, so just be prepared and be strong, and you'll get past those trigger moments.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    livestrong has a free ap for smart phones to help one step down. Helps you break patterns ( HABItS) and address cravings. Great community. I used it and am smoke free x2 years after 30 years of puffing. Good luck. But be sure you are really ready to quit. Repeated failures because YOU are not ready ultimately make it harder. Same as losing weight. You have to be ready and have your own motivation.
  • msimswil
    msimswil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone who offered me advice... Tonight (midnight) will be a whole week of smoke-free-me!
    That's fantastic. Fabulous. Well done.

All you have to do is not do anything. Remember: there is no such thing as one cigarette. Every single one of them is a deadly trap.

I stopped smoking at the same time as I started dieting. Keeping track of all my exercise and food intake etc. was a great distraction from the 'missing' activity of smoking.
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr - So so easy, I've been smoke free almost 3 years now. Patches, gum, hypnotherapy none worked but the book did!
  • JackWeaver84
    Options
    E-cig. I was a pack a day smoker. Been quit for 6 months. Try www.myvaporstore.com , www.puresmoker.com or www.aquavapor.com. Seriously it works, you.still get to enjoy smoking and I can run miles a day now!