5K and 10K races - run alone or with a partner?

Options
I am fairly new to running and have found it so addicting! My first 5K is coming up in July and I signed up for it with some of my cousins, but it's the Color Run, and not really a running race. I really want to start signing up for more 5K and 10K races, but I don't know of many people who would be open to running them with me.

For those of you who participate in them, do you typically run them alone, or with a partner?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Always alone, but I run for time.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Both, but I tend to do better on my own so if I'm in it for time I go alone.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sign up with a friend but then run at my own pace (I don't feel we have to run together). A lot of times, I sign up on my own.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do 5K's and with a partner- but one with the same pace as me. When she is not available, my daughter tags along. She's much faster than me but will slow down to my pace to keep me company (but she will push me at the end). It just depends if you prefer to run solo or with a buddy too!
  • skuehn84
    skuehn84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go with friends/family, but don't really run with someone. I need music to run so it would be hard to really run with someone. I just ran a 5k yesterday and my 9 year old son came with. He ran it in 30 minutes and I did it in 41 minutes. I wouldn't want to expect him to run slower to stay with me and there's no way I could have run quicker to keep up with him. That's the hard part if you want to run with someone unless they are at the same level as you.
  • jjlibunao
    jjlibunao Posts: 78
    Options
    I've done a bunch of 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons and a couple of them, I've done with a group of people. But for most of the races, I've had at least one good friend with me. But during the race, we do not run together. We just meet up at the finish line. I'm lucky because I know a lot of people who run. But I have met tons of people (at the start line of half marathons) who were there (at the race) by themselves.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I run alone for time and to not worry about keeping up or slowing down for another person. For fun runs or short races that aren't professionally timed, I wouldn't mind running with other people, though none of my friends like to run.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Always alone (though I might have friends at the start, and I'll say - see you at the finish!)

I run at my own pace, and its quite slow. Plus I like to listen to music as I run.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I think my biggest concern would be feeling like I have to alter my pace (slower or faster) if I run with a partner. But, I keep thinking that being able to celebrate the victory of having run--and finished!--a race with someone else would be pretty amazing, too!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I usually don't end up with partners, but it doesn't matter much either way to me, because I'm not terribly into times or the race itself.

When I started running in races, I didn't have a whole lot of friends who ran, so most of my half-marathons, 5/10ks were alone. And it's nice, because you can set your own pace and follow your own body. I also run alone when I train, so it's not any different than training.

It is lot of fun running with a friend, though. Only thing that ends up annoying is that you are subject to whatever they have going on. If they need to pee, you stop. If they get a cramp, you stop. But you do get to chat, or point out things along the way, and you can celebrate at the end. If you're competitive, running with friends probably isn't great, but just for a good time, if you have people to run with, I'd say go for it. :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Im selfish, I dont like sharing my runs. LOL
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in May. I ran it alone, but my family was there to cheer me on. My 2nd 5k, I ran with a friend. However, I run faster than she does, so we ran at our own paces and met up at the finish line. My 3rd one (today), I ran alone with no one there to cheer me on (only because the weather sucked). It kind of sucked to be completely alone for this one, but I was running for time, so it didn't really matter. I wasn't looking to "hang out" afterwards or anything. LOL I have a few more races over the summer, and most I'm doing with my friend, but we most probably won't run together. I'll also be doing the Color Run with a bunch of friends, but that one is just for "fun", so it will definitely be more fun with a gang.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice to have others running the same race, but it's better to separate at the start, each run your own race and meet up at the end. That way you can focus on your own personal goals and not worry about running too fast or too slow to keep pace with your friend. That being said, I do like to run half marathons with my slower training partner because the conversation makes it more pleasant and she keeps me from going out too fast too soon.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would always try to find a running partner, but then I found out how difficult it is to find someone who runs at the same pace. As long as you and your friend are ok with running separate than it is still more fun than going alone, but if not, I'd say run alone so you can run for time and improvement!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tend to care more about fun than time, so I like running with friends. But it definitely slows you down. (If you can find a 5k with dogs... my dog makes me RUN, lol!)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I run with my 3 kids 15, 13, and 10. It has become addicting for all of us to run 5Ks. Since i am ready to do my first 10K I will be doing that by myself. I you do it with anyone, just make sure they are as committed as you are so they don't hold you back!! Good luck!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a solo artist. :wink:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you are plunking down money for a race, why would you run with someone else at a pace that isn't yours? You can always do that for free. When the gun goes off, it's see you at the finish.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I run solo 90% of the time.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Always alone, but I run for time.

True story!