mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max
    Most ppl can run a mile in 9mins.
    I run a mile in 6 mins. It used to be 4 mins

Svetlana, is that you? :bigsmile:
    " Svetlana Masterkova has the women's record of 4:12.56"

Are you measuring in metric minutes or maybe you are thinking kilometers?

I was a Champion runner in High School and College. :bigsmile: 4.55

Way cool! Congratulations! Of course with a name like ChasinPavement I assumed you were more skilled than the average runners here. You would lap me about 3 times on a mile track.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

I can't tell if you're joking or if you missed the part where she was asking about walking?

Not everyone is on the same level. I've been running for a year, and it still takes me 9-10 mins to run a mile and 15 mins to walk one. OP is probably a beginner.

Trust me I didn't "miss" anything..so watch your tone, mmmkkkk.
    It should still only take 12 mins max walking briskly.

Dude, are you an olympic speedwalker? I think I spotted you in this video!! http://youtu.be/KGfLhNowXtU
    :laugh:
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, it all depends. I'm a New York walker, so a mile only takes me about 12 minutes.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

I guess we're not all perfect..... It takes me 15 minutes to RUN a mile. "most people" lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max
    You can disagree but walking at 4.0 miles and hour isn't "slow" for walking and that would take 15 minutes.
    Being that 65% of America is overweight or obese, I doubt that.
    That's track and field competitive speed. Good for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

Svetlana, is that you? :bigsmile:
    " Svetlana Masterkova has the women's record of 4:12.56"

Are you measuring in metric minutes or maybe you are thinking kilometers?

Nice for you, but I'd LOVE to see you or ANYONE for that matter, WALK a 10:00 mile. I'd bet my next 12 paychecks that you can't do it.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My walk is about 3mph - so 20 minutes
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nice for you, but I'd LOVE to see you or ANYONE for that matter, WALK a 10:00 mile. I'd bet my next 12 paychecks that you can't do it.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

I guess we're not all perfect..... It takes me 15 minutes to RUN a mile. "most people" lol

whyareyousoperfectGIF_zps62e7d4e0.gif

Far from it.
    OP, Please let us know what your results are. Keep up with your motivation and Dream Big.
    No matter how long it takes you, it beats sitting on the couch. :drinker:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

Well, I'm overweight, have knee problems and have some muscle atrophy in both of my quads (due to my knee problems). My walking speed is about 20 minutes for a mile (on a good day I can get it down to 18 but that's nearly a jog). My average running is 15 minute miles... I'm elated if I can run a 12 minute mile! 'Course, 2 years ago I could barely walk half a mile and couldn't even run to the end of my street, but I guess I should just give up because I'm nowhere near even average (most "ppl") :sad:
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    Emily, I so agree with you. I struggle to walk fast....between jogging and walking, I"m about a 20 minute mile. My daughter, at 25, walks with me as I jog (I'm 58 years old and struggling to lose weight - at about 180 now). She's proud of me...I couldn't even jog a little bit before my C25K training. It's not as easy for some of us as it is for others. We just keep moving forward :) It's all good. I love these boards. It asks the questions that I didn't know I needed to ask :tongue:
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    The Men's record holder for Race Walking has a pace just north of 6 MPH. Though, I hardly consider race walking to be "walking."

20,000 m Race Walk 1:17:25.6 Bernardo Segura MEX (24) 1994-May-07 (http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/view.asp?division=world&location=outdoor track & field&age=open&sport=RW)
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max

As a fellow track and cross country champ, I should make it clear that *most* people cannot run a mile in 9 minutes. Most people cannot RUN a mile in 10-12 minutes either, let alone walk it. And VERY, VERY few of us can run (or walk, for that matter... :laugh:) a mile in less than 4 and a half minutes.

Someone should be able to WALK a mile in 15-20 minutes, as stated previously in this thread, 15 minutes if you are walking at a quick pace, 20 minutes if you are not in the best of shape or walking at a more leisurely pace.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

As a fellow track and cross country champ, I should make it clear that *most* people cannot run a mile in 9 minutes. Most people cannot RUN a mile in 10-12 minutes either, let alone walk it. And VERY, VERY few of us can run (or walk, for that matter... :laugh:) a mile in less than 4 and a half minutes.

Lets be clear it was never suggested anyone could walk a mile in 4.5 mins. So maybe take some time to read b4 you try to make a dig @ someone. So your "burn" has been officially denied.
    Also, if the Plus sized girl on Biggest Loser ran the mile in 9mins this year. What does that tell you? :huh:
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you look the speed for a brisk walk is different it can also depend on personal factors. Such as what is brisk for one person may not be brisk for someone else. However it is somewhere around 3 mph depending on what level of brisk you are talking about. When I looked it up it was supposed to be done in about 20 minutes.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Lets be clear it was never suggested anyone could walk a mile in 4.5 mins. So maybe take some time to read b4 you try to make a dig @ someone. So your "burn" has been officially denied.
    Also, if the Plus sized girl on Biggest Loser ran the mile in 9mins this year. What does that tell you? :huh:

"When you find yourself in a hole, quit diggin."

Will Rogers
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    109.9mph my car shuts down at 110 :D
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Walking at a brisk pace how long should how long should it take to complete a mile???
    And to answer this I would actually log the walk with my car and see how long it took me. Ie if its four miles and you did it in an hour 4 mph.

The website also offers a brisk pace walk stating the speed.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Walking at a brisk pace how long should how long should it take to complete a mile???

It varies. You can easily figure out how fast you walk if you time yourself at the start and finish. I don't have a pedometer, but I can tell how fast I walked by looking at the clock (my cell phone) when I begin and end the walk.