Getting over Ben and Jerry

Options
Cherrie Garcia is my favorite. I love digging to get those chocolate chunks. I keep re-living our time together, and am finding it a hard affair to get over.
No seriously I would like to know how you reset your brain after a cheat so that it doesn't keep replaying as a failure. I have ruined beautiful diets by one binge. Because this has happened before, I am a bit nervous. The last time I remember leaving a healthy succesful diet, was after an evening called "death by chocolate" I don't know why one occasion ruined months worth of efforts but it derailed me for years.
I don't think I will let a few martini's and icecream from a weekend with friends stop me but I have before so I can use some motivation. Please

Replies

• summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself. You are human. You're allowed ot make mistakes, we all do. So just say "Wow, glad I got that out of my system, now back to tracking." I also suggest, even when you do go crazy, track it. That way you KNOW what you ate, you can then evaulate if ti really was worth it, and move on. Plus you won't get out of the tracking habit.
    And this is not a diet, this website is for changing the way you think about food, and changing your habits and lifestyle. This shouldn't be a part time, let me lose the wieght thing. If you think of it that way, once you do lsoe the wieght, you'll go right back to your old way, and you'll be back here in a year, doing it all over again. So in your lifestyle, you have to allow yourself splurges. Just make sure they are in moderation. It is unrealistic to think you'll never eat your favorite ice cream again. It just need to be planned for!
    Good luck!!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Just gotta realize tomorrow's a new day. And just keep going... it's much easier to give in and quit than to keep going. Just think how upset you'll be with yourself down the road. and You'll have to start over again. You can cheat... it's realistic. But then keep going. Don't quit! :)

Sometimes I think about someone that teased me for being heavier. And how I wanna prove them wrong. Or how there are clothing stores I've never been able to shop in. That helps me too :)
  • crazychick87
    Options
    heya i'm exaclty the same, after a weekend of bingeing on junk i feel so guilty but then i just forget about that day and start again tha next day. just start again the next day and think if i don't lose weight this week so what i'll lose a pound of so the week after.
    good luck
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    ...Plus for next time you have a week moment...the Cherry Garcia Frozen Yoghurt tastes just as good and is waaaay more saintly!! :happy: Check it out!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself. You are human. You're allowed ot make mistakes, we all do. So just say "Wow, glad I got that out of my system, now back to tracking." I also suggest, even when you do go crazy, track it. That way you KNOW what you ate, you can then evaulate if ti really was worth it, and move on. Plus you won't get out of the tracking habit.
    And this is not a diet, this website is for changing the way you think about food, and changing your habits and lifestyle. This shouldn't be a part time, let me lose the wieght thing. If you think of it that way, once you do lsoe the wieght, you'll go right back to your old way, and you'll be back here in a year, doing it all over again. So in your lifestyle, you have to allow yourself splurges. Just make sure they are in moderation. It is unrealistic to think you'll never eat your favorite ice cream again. It just need to be planned for!
    Good luck!!

I could not have said it better myself!! For me, this is not a "diet." I have given up on diets forever, and this is the way I plan to live for the rest of my life. Tracking everything is the best way to keep myself honest, even when I indulge.
  • Mandi3939
    Options
    I am personally not a fan of the "Never eat this again" way of thinking. It's moderation. If you view it as negative, and you have guilt feelings every time you have a bite of ice cream, you are going to only make it worse, because the guilt will make you want to eat more. And you'll feel like you already screwed up, so why not just eat more.

Instead, I have my "craving" foods on Sunday. Each week I can look forward to it, but only a little bit. Or I can trade oversize for more of a snack. A long walk may equal an extra scoop. So I go into the snack with a positive feeling, and am so proud of myself for having the self control that I don't want more! By setting a day of the week, I can tamp down cravings during the week, and know that I can hold out until Sunday.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I needed that. Two things are different this time. Last time I never asked for support, either from friends & family or from a support group like mfp. I was too independant, and isolated. Also I didn't keep a diet diary. Here each day the slate is clean, I have my fresh calorie total for the day, and I have support here and at home. I admit this is a borrowed thought, but I liked it: "I have learned too much to turn back now"
    also a cool thought: Ben & Jerrys has a low fat cherry garcia frozen yogurt? That might be a healthy treat.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for the froyo Ben&Jerrys too. It is awesome. Cherry Garcia is my second fav flavor if Chunky Monkey is out...they need to make that flavor froyo!
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    Maybe you could find a replacement treat that is maybe not QUITE as good but much better for you and still tasty? Maybe a scoop of vanilla low fat frozen yogurt where you add some of your own cherries and a few chocolate chips? Or something of the sort where you can indulge a bit and satisfy your craving without going too overboard :) I find that once I get used to replacement items, I start to enjoy them just as much as the original :) Just an idea for you... Good luck!!