Slimfast...

Options
Hey there....

Started the slimfast diet for a boost for a few weeks, anyone about that's done it, doing it, fancy doing it? I'm doing it midweek and eating healthy on the weekends!

Angela xxx

Replies

• FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Went from 170 to 150 pounds in the space of a month with slim fast.

Do I recommend it? No. I got straight back up to 170 (172, actually) as soon as I started eating normally again. You also have to put up with feeling tired, low in energy etc etc. As with any diet you will just regain the weight. You need a permanent lifestyle change, not a diet.

Not to mention that you're completely screwing with your nutrients. Your body needs more than powder and dairy for two meals of the day.

But, that said, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck! You'll have to keep us updated on results! I've never done it, but I cannot say I've heard of many success stories either. (Sorry to sound negative, just want to be honest.) However, who knows how mindful individuals were with caloric consumption or exercising who were doing the slimfast thing. Good luck!
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Your body would be better off with healthy, nutritious food to lose weight. You'll just gain back the weight you lose quickly and maybe more! But that being said, good luck with your weight loss whatever you choose to do :)
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As some one else mentioned, I lost a few pounds on slim fast. But gained it all back when moved back to regular diet. I wouldn't recommend it long term. I've switched to having a shake in the morning and a snack bar for snack two hours before dinner. For my morning shake I mix it with the normal 8 oz of milk, a banana, and sometimes oats. I mix it in the blender. It keeps me full throughout the morning and sometimes holds off hunger a little after 1pm (I drink it around 730-8am). I could probably use just a protein powder or something but I like the taste of the slim fast and even if I don't add the banana and oats, it still keeps me full till lunch time. Just drink it slow :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO you would be better off just reducing your calories by 100 a day and saving the money ....
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    even for replacement shakes slim fast are some of the worst quality food like products in the world. Avoid.
  • Angela1303
    Angela1303 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 4st from starting my weight loss so I know how to eat healthy and lose but this is more just for a boost, I've mostly heard positive things about it and as long as you keep your calories under control when you come off it surely you would put back on what you've already lost...

Xxx
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a race.

If you've already lost 4 stone - great! Just continue what you were doing. If you get Slimfast, the only thing you'll see dramatically decrease in size is your purse and bank account! They're loading with sugar, and most people put the weight back on they lost with it + more. And you don't want to do that!

Just continue what you're doing. :-)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have used them with limited success. I would recommend switching away to a diet consisting of regular healthy food before you reach your goal. The pounds you lose really are gone and if you make a good adjustment they won't come back, but as you can see from the responses it seems to be harder to make that switch than it is from light eating of regular food to a maintenance level of the same foods.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv used them at the start of my journey and lost a good amount but only did it for 3-4 weeks. Iv had a bad few weeks/months so have a 3 week supply to get things moving again, started today and am only doing it for 3 weeks then back to calorie counting. At the moment this is easier for me as the baby is crawling and my 2 yr old is going crazy so I dont have time to eat real meals and when I do I go over board! So a shake and porridge oats for breakfast, soup/shake for lunch then a big meal in the early evening is easier for me to stick to right now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a race.

If you've already lost 4 stone - great! Just continue what you were doing. If you get Slimfast, the only thing you'll see dramatically decrease in size is your purse and bank account! They're loading with sugar, and most people put the weight back on they lost with it + more. And you don't want to do that!

Just continue what you're doing. :-)

agreed!
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Choose what works for you! :) Best wishes!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Much easier to eat proper food..cheaper too.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ive considered replacing like breakfast with it every now and then when i have a ton of errands to run in the morning. but then i think that that is probably stupid and decide to eat cereal instead.

This is probably due to the fact that i love cereal though.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you already lost that amount by eating healthy why would you want that crap in your body.

Stick with what you know, it may take a little longer but the results will also last longer.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I did it a VERY long time ago, guess what happened?

I was starving, I didn't lose very much, and the little I did lose came right back on and then some when I started eating like a person again.

Anything that promises an easy way is just the opposite. Losing weight take hard work and dedication and if you are looking for an easy, fast way you may not be ready to take this on yet... Keep at it you will get there eventually.

Good luck
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use the slimfast high protein when I'm driving and I have to eat, it fills the gap!
  • firekymmie72
    firekymmie72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast years ago, by week 3 i was so sick i ended up in the hospital with problems in my intestines. Never again will i touch that stuff!!!!!
  • macyfit
    macyfit Posts: 3
    Options
    WEIGHT CAME BACK AFTER I LOST THE WEIGHT I HATE SLIM FAST MADE ME SICK TO THE STOMACH
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't touch it. Don't like powdered stuff pretending to be food (not even cup-a-soup), I'd rather take the time to plan some real food. (If you know what you've put into it your body is not going to get any nasty surprises.)

ETA I've also tried the "2 bowls of cereal for 2 weeks" and I felt ill before the end of the first week.