Insanity drop outs

Options

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Me! I am a quiter! I find it so boring. I just need to come to terms with the fact that I hate all exercise DVDs. I would much rather go for a run or to the gym.

I feel the same!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I tried twice. The first time I quit after only three days because I knew instantly it was going to be too much for my knees at my weight (at the time I weighed 270 lbs). The second time I got halfway through week two and injured myself.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I quit because I got bored of doing the same thing every day.
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I dropped out at Week 7 because I managed to injure my upper left arm! I think it had something to do with too many push ups. But so close!
  • StrongerKelly
    StrongerKelly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dropped out. Boring, tired of listening to him (I prefer good music and minimal instruction in workout "class" environments), and I like my knees.

I like running, going to some classes at my gym and lifting with a trainer. Insanity didn't fit with that and I didn't like how incredibly awful my knees felt. The focus on speed rather than form put me over the top. No thanks. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to try similar programs. Just that particular one didn't work for me.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The first time I did Insanity (4-5 years ago), I had to stop at about the 40 day mark.

I was also riding my bike to work 4-5 days a week at the time, 9 miles each way - 50-55 minutes to (so I wouldn't be all sweaty and gross), and 30-35 minutes home (I would "race" against myself) - and was doing Insanity on top of that. It was just too much. I simply could NOT eat enough food to sustain that level of exercise, and one day on my way home from work, I totally bonked. Literally stopped in my tracks and could not pedal even one more foot. :ohwell: I had to call my fiance to come pick me up. Took a couple of days off of everything, and then resumed biking to work until the weather was no longer nice enough to ride.

That said, I've since completed Insanity twice since (the second time followed immediately by Asylum Vol 1), among many other Beachbody programs. :happy:
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Because I was 300lb when I tried it and it seriously hurt my ankle. Also Shaun T acts like a huge tool.
  • faithstimenow
    faithstimenow Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tried Day 1... and knew right away, that I have to wait until I was more fit, to do Insanity. I couldn't finish. I still have knee and back pain from Tuesday.... plus, I was soo excited about working out, I worked out several times a day, after the Insanity, that I overworked it. I am hoping to try it again, when I lose 30lbs or so.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Me! I am a quiter! I find it so boring. I just need to come to terms with the fact that I hate all exercise DVDs. I would much rather go for a run or to the gym.

I am the exact opposite. I love Insanity, never doing the same thing for more than 60 seconds in a row, loads of variety, keeps me alert. I really have to force myself to do runs, an hour or more of the same motion repeated what feels like infinitely.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda not surprised this thread exists.

Insanity and other HIIT is great for boosting fitness levels and burning fat but something on my mind: longevity. It's an hour a day of intense exercise - who has the energy and time to do that every day until they die? Maybe it's my old man thinking.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I dropped out. Boring, tired of listening to him (I prefer good music and minimal instruction in workout "class" environments), and I like my knees.

I like running, going to some classes at my gym and lifting with a trainer. Insanity didn't fit with that and I didn't like how incredibly awful my knees felt. The focus on speed rather than form put me over the top. No thanks. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to try similar programs. Just that particular one didn't work for me.

I don't think you listened to Shaun T very well then ;) He always says form over speed.

But, I do believe that Insanity - or any other program - is not for everyone. Where this is boring for some people (which I can totally understand because it IS repetitve), others (me) get bored of workouts that don't do a lot for my heart rate (for example, Zumba or something... so lame). It is good to read people that don't like Insanity, I loved it but so many people do it because they heard me saying that I love it or because it is getting more and more popular. Not good.
  • o0JenB0o
    o0JenB0o Posts: 39
    Options
    I dropped out last year { first round of insanity} the week after recovery. I just lost the motivation.
    But on April 1st i started back up and successfully finished it on June 2nd :)
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I quit! I quit after the first month. I hurt my knees from all the jumping. It was also mentally and physically exhausting. 6 days/week?!?!

I think the program is just a recipe for over training. All the new research says that 3-4 days/week of exercise is plenty. 3-4 days allows for recovery and any more doesn't really give you any gains because you actually improve with recovery time. Stop the Insanity!!! ;)
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm a quitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although I do sometimes still pop the DVD in for a work out but I didn't do the program straight. I found I got bored. I need a lot more variety and I have found out that I like lifting so I have been doing that 3 days a week and then my other days can be varied...gym cardio, running, swimming, hiking, a workout video etc...I have to mix it up or I won't finish...and I didn't!
  • mpachee
    mpachee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It was such a great workout and I saw a lot of results. However, I still didn't get my food diet right so I was gaining A LOT of muscle weight....like I couldn't even fit my thighs into my jeans anymore! I had to lay low from it and eventually stopped. I was also getting lower back pain towards the end of the workout. I still do insanity once in awhile to change things up!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have an on again - off again relationship with Insanity. I usually end up stopping because it's tough on my knees and the arches of my feet from all the jumping. I do love Shaun T though, he's one of the only DVD trainers I can stand listening to, so I go back whenever I'm feeling motivated.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it was with a group I work with - so I didn't own it and was reliant on them. We made it to week 7 and their work schedule got crazy. In the interim I did Jillian Michael's workouts. We started back up and finished the entire program (I bought my own copy about half way through to guarantee I could finish this time!!). We took a 3 week break and did Jillian again in that time period and we are now doing a p90x/insanity hybrid...we are starting week 7 today.

I agree it is a challenge to the knees to do all that jumping. Some of the moves I modify to exclude the extra hop or jump - I know better of how much my body can take than a man on the tv screen!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I gues you could say I quit! I got more into strength training and classes started so it kind of just faded away. Although when I went into it I never planned to do it 6 days a week like your supposed to. It was just supposed to be something to throw into my workout regiment maybe once a week. I really dont like doing the same thing over and over I have to change my regiment to keep things interesting. It is such a good workout and I know I'll eventually do it here and there again.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Oh also...he didn't squat to parallel.
  • MA_baquiran
    Options
    i tried it for a couple of days and then i discovered 30 days shred. i did that instead because insanity kills me. i'm planning on taking insanity after 30ds.