Alcohol Water Retention

Options
When you go on a bit of a binge and retain a lot of water, how long does it usually take for that to fall back off?

I've been EXTREMELY good for a very long time now, so I didn't really see a huge issue with going winery touring with my friends this weekend and drinking A LOT of wine (probably around 2 bottles). I also didn't eat the best, but I didn't really do as bad as I would have before my lifestyle change.

So, when I got home and had gained EIGHT POUNDS(!!!), I was momentarily distraught until I (and a few friends) reminded me that that's not actually possible and I was just retaining water. By yesterday about 3 pounds of that had dropped off and by this morning another 2 pounds had dropped off.

I'm still three pounds up and I know that there's not a chance in hell I took in enough calories to even gain a full pound. So how much longer am I going to be reminded on the scale of my silly escapades? lol

Replies

• Igotdisbish
    Options
    I don't know I never stop drinking. :drinker:
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    Last time I went all out was for my brothers bachelor party on a Friday night. Took me until the next Friday morning to completely drop the water weight.
  • upandover34
    Options
    i drink loads of water more than usual for me its 2-3 days and the scale returns to normal thats normally drinking vodka
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I gained 9 lbs one weekend doing the same. Don't sweat it. Stay off the scale for a few more days and exercise normally. It will all be gone.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    8lbs sounds about right. Give it til thursday, you should be back to normal weight.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    For me, 3 to 5 days. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, unlike all of the responders above me, you are female*, so you have to consider the possibility that some of your water retention is hormonal. You might also have been unusually dehydrated before you went drinking, hence the 3 lb difference.

* except etoiles there, who posted just as I was writing this
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    for me it's about 2 days. I just drink tons of water and i'm fine.....
    Edited to mention what i drink: Crystal light and vodka.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It takes at least 3 days before I'll see the initial water retention drop if I drink even a little alcohol, but can take a week before I get back to where I started sometimes (especially if it's combined with lots of sodium from eating out and such). I find green tea and lots of water can help to hurry it along, but not always. My body won't let go of it until it's ready.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    OP, unlike all of the responders above me, you are female*, so you have to consider the possibility that some of your water retention is hormonal. You might also have been unusually dehydrated before you went drinking, hence the 3 lb difference.

* except etoiles there, who posted just as I was writing this

Hormonal is always possible (isn't it grand to be a girl? lol) but it's usually not so extreme for me. Dehydration probably not quite as possible I drink a lot of water every day, and I'd held steady at the same weight for about a week before my winery craziness.

Thanks for all the answers from everyone! It makes me feel better to know that it's not like it all should have come off already!
  • vnakkar
    vnakkar Posts: 30
    Options
    So THATS why I'm up 4 lbs this morning. :)
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For me, anywhere from 5-8 days. Sometimes, its just not worth it.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Eat potassium rich foods (sweet potatoes, bananas, kiwis) to help speed up the process.

Coconut water also does WONDERS.