Do you ever take a day off from working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    my scheduled day off is Sunday as I do not have daycare available for my boys BUT, I will take other days off (like today) if its a PA Day off of school for my oldest; I have running around to do and it can't wait until the afternoon; or I just don't feel like working out that particular day.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Everyone's different, but I take time off when I feel I need it. At 50, recovery is a quite a bit slower than when I was younger. Your body has to heal.
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to plan my days off. I've adopted the attitude to always plan on working out today and never assume that I'll be able to work out tomorrow. With a full-time job and two teenage kids, days-off seem to work themselves in naturally. Not to mention having arthritis in my knees I never know when it is going to kick-in...like today.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 days a week+all 3-4 days of TOM every month.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I let my body tell me when I need a rest day which happens every 10-14 days or so usually. I don't schedule days off though.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course! 1-2 days a week I have rest days--I just walk, stretch, foam roll....light stuff like that.
  • TLow97
    TLow97 Posts: 55
    Options
    Wednesdays are my rest days.

Sometimes I don't mind taking another rest day to help keep myself honest with my calorie intake.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do 2 days at the gym, 1 day off, with no regard to the day of the week. On the off day I make sure to take a short walk. I like this schedule a lot, each muscle group gets worked at least twice a week and the 2 days in between offers enough recovery.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The answer for you depends on the intensity of your workouts/duration/frequency/goal/etc. I workout 5 days/week for about 30mins. Otherwise I take Saturday/Sunday off working out but I'm still active like doing yard work or kayaking, etc. You just have to listen to your body. Yesterday I was absolutely exhausted so I did nothing but nap and lounge by the pool and this morning I was ready for a run again. Taking a break (and stretching) is important for your body to recover and muscles to heal - overworking them is what can lead to injuries.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    From my experience those who work out very intensely everyday like junkies are those who are trying too hard to lose fat (esp around the mid section) and not educating themselves on the best way to do so, both in terms of training and nutrition. The only exception are pro athletes.

Come at me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I work out three days a week when I'm being good.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yup, your body needs to recover. I have recently been working out one day rest two workout two days rest. I have found it allows me great recovery.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I lift every other day, and occasionally skip a day.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I run three days, lift three days, rest one day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

On my rest day, I still stay active. Generally go out for a walk to the park with my daughter, and will do some active play with her. Then DIY around the house and whatnot. But I don't do anything particularly strenuous.

I'll also take a day off if anything is particularly tender to the touch.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take a day off. Currently I train 4x a week with a hard-moderate run. The other days I will usually cross-train with elliptical or bike. I may also add in some weight training. If I don't actually "work out" then I'm usually walking or keeping active doing chores/work etc.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My workout week is 8 days long. I exercise 4 days/week with every other day being a rest day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, depends I guess. I typically at least have a walk every day.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm not going to lie. I ended up running about 2.5 miles but I usually run 3.5, so I gave myself a little break. That being said, I am tired because it has been weeks since I took a day off so I am going to make myself rest tomorrow. I'm always on the go with our kids and cleaning and cooking so that will help take away feeling guilty for not running. I will admit I am a little obsessed and I'm working on that. Being so close to my goal makes it much harder to stop though.
  • upandover34
    Options
    working out yes exercising eg a walk no