Replies

• trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    chewing extra gym really helps.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    chewing sugarfree gum or sucking a boiled sweet (only around 15 cals) - anything that lasts a long time!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm a Junk Food Queen of the first magnitude. Name a sugary treat and I've eaten it in 5 flavors.

April 1st I stopped eating all junk food, fast food, candy, etc., and my cravings disappeared. I can't eat in moderation, so I cut it out of my life. The only sweet I eat is an apple for a snack (and once in while other fruit, like a restaurant fresh fruit cup).

Several big things that really helped me:
    (1) I eat regular meals so I'm never hungry. When I get hungry, my willpower disappears.
    (2) I drink water with lemon slices all day.
    (3) I meal plan and always have nutritious food at home that I can make into a meal in 5 minutes or less.
    (4) Right now I eat before social occasions so I'm not hungry, then have something small and eat it as slowly as possible so there's something on my plate and other people don't feel uncomfortable.
  • Lots2Lose77
    Options
    I'm a sugar freak and seem to crave it all the time, I found the skinny cow choc sundaes are the best for giving my that chocolate kick or when I'm really desperate I make a cup of tea with loads of sugarine (not good I know) but it really does keep my sugar cravings in check!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was changing the whole way I thought about food, not just trying to cut out sweets. Make hitting your macros a game, if you will. If you hit your protein goal within your calorie limit, you've earned a sweet.

You need to make sure you're eating a high protein meal when you eat your first meal of the day. Add in the healthy fats as well.

Then for your second meal, do the same, make sure you're hitting your protein targets first. Then fats, then carbs.

Let's say you are aiming for 100 grams of protein a day. Try to get in 40-60 of that before 3pm if you know you're going to be having a decent protein dinner. More if you're going to have a carb dinner.

Then, when you've hit that protein goal, have a good amount of fats, check the fiber to make sure you're good on that, too. If you are, then have some sweets up to your calorie limit for the day.

I have a sweet almost every night. Usually ice cream or dark chocolate. Sometimes I indulge in some ungodly dessert at a restaurant that I split with my kids and husband. But I always hit my protein macro goal before I give in.

If I start the day with carbs or something sweet, my whole day is ruined. I crave sugar or carbs all day long, don't feel full ever, and I will gain a lot of weight. If I reward myself with carbs at night, I go to bed satisfied and don't generally wake up craving them.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the protein suggestion. 100 grams of protein per day should be your minimum. When I changed my diet to high protein, my wild cravings for empty carbs went away.
  • ninessential
    Options
    At least you get there's such thing as being addicted to sugar. What's worked best for me is trying to keep most of that stuff out of my home because once I have one then I have to have another. Nuts, yogurt, eggs, meat, pork skins, WATER, apples, cheese all help me from thinking much about sugar! Oh and exercise can take my mind off that candy bar. Crank up the tunes while you're working out and before you know it you'll be so lost into the song you'll probably have forgotten all about that sugar rush!!! :laugh:
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I try to eat it in moderation, as opposed to replacing what I like or going without. Goal setting helps with this - keep your eye on the prize! I'll have a Freddo (small chocolate bar as a treat) and don't expect to ever truly go 'without'.

That said, my nutrition is so much 'cleaner than it was this time last year. I joined MFP in January this year and my diary is open if you would like to look. Stay focused :)
  • aconner114
    aconner114 Posts: 13
    Options
    This is where I need to be. If there was a "sugar addict" group I could be a charter member. I too don't have the problems with other stuff in moderation but with sugar I want it all until it's gone - out of the hose. And it's too easy to stop in the dolloar store on the way home from work for cookies and milk for my dinner. I must get a handle on this and today is another first day for me to eut the sugar out. I am new and would love some replies.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is where I need to be. If there was a "sugar addict" group I could be a charter member. I too don't have the problems with other stuff in moderation but with sugar I want it all until it's gone - out of the hose. And it's too easy to stop in the dolloar store on the way home from work for cookies and milk for my dinner. I must get a handle on this and today is another first day for me to eut the sugar out. I am new and would love some replies.

First thought - I've been there - Hi :) - get rid of those treats - either eat them in moderation (planned and incorporated gradually), or bin them/give them to charity, and don't replace them.

Second thought - if you want it that badly, then work out for it. Find out what the nutritional content of what you are planning on eating is, get exercising (walk to the sweet shop?) and (HRM / Fitbit / other) work out (walking / other) until you have burnt off that amount of energy and are ready to replace it with whatever you want to eat.

The choices you have to make are yours - just make sure that they are good ones and be proud of each one!

Good luck and have fun :smile:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I have to down a glass of water before I'll Consider trying it, and take a 'break' away from whatever the item is.
    I use to "have to have" that afternoon candy bar, but not anymore.

I also drink a chocolate Shakeology shake for breakfast every day and it helps with my cravings (No haters please, its what helps ME)

Good luck finding what helps You.
  • KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses... going to start trying all of these ideas and see what best works!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It helps to keep plenty of fruit in your diet. after a while dried fruits are like candy to me. Just don't get a bag of smarties or a pack of PEEPS to close to me unattended :laugh:
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through all the posts so don't know if anyone mentioned candida. Look it up see if your symptoms match and try the spit test. If they do u can try eating coconut oil to help get rid of it.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I find eating a good amount of fiber helps curb sugar cravings. Some have mentioned protein, I think that would help too, I just don't happen to like a lot of foods high in protein so my focus is on fiber foods.