exercise routine change - what to do?

Options
I started my weight loss journey in January by joining a gym and doing classes 5-6 times weekly (mostly "hardbodies" and zumba). A couple of months ago I switched to NROLFW three times a week (tomorrow is my last day of stage 2) and started eating more (no extra cardio)

I will be moving in a few weeks, to live with my mom (with my 3 kids). I have no idea how long this arrangement will last, but it will not be long-term. So, I cannot join a gym since I'm not sure where exactly I'll live after that and I don't want to invest in weights yet with all the other expenses I have coming up.

I do have P90X, Insanity, and Turbo Fire and I was thinking of doing one of those (or a mix of them). I was wondering what everybody here would suggest.

I'm 38, 5 foot 4 and currently weigh about 164 lbs and have about 32% BF (I have lost almost 20 pounds since January, but only lost about 2% bf). I have a scale that measures BF, so I know they can be inaccurate but I figured that if I use the same thing to measure it and measure it same time of day,etc, I should still see improvements. To be honest, I don't really care what the scale says as long as I lose body fat and inches. So, what does everybody recommend I do?

If you check out my diary, note that the goal changes daily because I have a fitbit; I just try to stay under it a bit (most days, lol). About a week ago I didn't log because I had a nasty stomach bug...

thank you all for helping me out!

Replies

• felinaslp
    felinaslp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    anybody? plz?
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi,
    I have done Insanity and P90X. Haven't done Turbofire.
    I like P90X as it is a well-rounded program with a mix of resistance training, cardio and yoga/stretching. All you need is a set of bands and a yoga mat.
    P90X is considered an extreme workout, so remember to only do what you can do. Power 90, the predecessor to P90X, may be an option also.
    Feel free to message me for more info and/or friend me.

Best of luck!!
    Joe
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You are doing a lot of cardio and strength going - why not try yoga? Seriously. Yoga is a great balance and accompaniment to ALL workouts. It helps to increase core strength and improves flexibility. I do mostly yoga every morning and my cardio and strength on alternate nights. Yoga has been what I've been missing.
  • tacguy
    Options
    You are doing a lot of cardio and strength going - why not try yoga? Seriously. Yoga is a great balance and accompaniment to ALL workouts. It helps to increase core strength and improves flexibility. I do mostly yoga every morning and my cardio and strength on alternate nights. Yoga has been what I've been missing.

Yep!!!!! For anyone who does not believe that yoga is a "real workout", try P90X yoga!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cardio is easy. P90X, Insanity, whatever, or just get outside and walk/run/bike/hike/whatever.

Strength training... look into body weight stuff. There is a number of good programs out there. You can also get creative for "weights" - bench press one of your children, squat holding your car's spare tire, etc etc.

Lastly, stretching/mobility work - don't ignore it.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Yep!!!!! For anyone who does not believe that yoga is a "real workout", try P90X yoga!!!!

I haven't tried P90X yoga - will look into it.
  • felinaslp
    felinaslp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding!

I know yoga is a good exercise, but personally I hate it and it makes me cry. Seriously... I am incredible inflexible and just can't do some positions, like cobra, because they hurt in all the wrong spots (back). I have done/started both P90x and insanity before, and the P90X yoga is the one that made me want to quit. I liked the first part of it because it felt good on the back, but it just seemed like torture to me (90minutes of it). I'm not against yoga, I just personally don't like it.

I'll have to look into bodyweight stuff. When I started NROLFW I actually used my kids and they loved it. I put them on my shoulder for squats, step-ups, etc. But they're much wigglier than the bars :-)
  • tacguy
    Options
    Thank you all for responding!

I know yoga is a good exercise, but personally I hate it and it makes me cry. Seriously... I am incredible inflexible and just can't do some positions, like cobra, because they hurt in all the wrong spots (back). I have done/started both P90x and insanity before, and the P90X yoga is the one that made me want to quit. I liked the first part of it because it felt good on the back, but it just seemed like torture to me (90minutes of it). I'm not against yoga, I just personally don't like it.

I'll have to look into bodyweight stuff. When I started NROLFW I actually used my kids and they loved it. I put them on my shoulder for squats, step-ups, etc. But they're much wigglier than the bars :-)

Yep. the yoga is the one workout in P90X that everyone loves to hate. I hated it too at first and I still cannot do a lot of what they can do on the video. You should not let that deter you. Can you do 25 pull-ups like the cast members? I can't. When I started I could barley do 5, and even they weren't pretty.
    Everyone has differing degrees of flexibility. The reason you are not flexible is that you don't work on it.