Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I started on a strict new regimen about 6 weeks ago. I am 5'3" and weigh close to 200lbs. I was drinking 4 20 oz regular pepsi's a day! For six weeks I have not had a single pop. No regular, no diet and very, very little caffeine. In addition, I have started eating about 30 grams of fiber a day and hovering around 1200 calories or less. I am limiting fat and sugar and walking about 1 1/2 miles 3-4 days each week. So, can someone please explain why I haven't lost a pound? Seriously?? I am not eating junk, candy, cake, red meat... nothing and I haven't lost anything. I am so frustrated and I truly document every bit I put in my mouth... I have been very honest about this... even the days when I had something I shouldn't. I am so unbelievably frustrated right now. I thought for sure just not drinking the pop alone would cause a drastic drop in my weight... but nothing... I am only drinking water and lots of water each day! I have an occasional Skinny Chai Tea Latte- but maybe 1-2 a week? What gives??

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Well you do not have your diary open so we can take a look, you may just be eating the wrong kind of foods, and walking is great but if it were me I would add doing sprints into your walking and build up a nice sweat.If you want add me as a friend and I would be happy to see what's up
  • thinnerhope
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough. I know that sounds crazy but your body does require a certain number of calories just to live, breath each day. If you are keeping such a low calorie diet and exercising, your body is probably using every single calorie one just to keep up.

Don't give up!
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough. I know that sounds crazy but your body does require a certain number of calories just to live, breath each day. If you are keeping such a low calorie diet and exercising, your body is probably using every single calorie one just to keep up.

Don't give up!

^^ This!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Don't give up!

I agree. At your weight, 1200 calories is a bit low. Beginning out, they typically suggest you cut out only 500 calories a day from your diet to get your body used to the change and then take it from there. I am only 5'1 at 121 pounds and 1200 calories is too low for me, I stay the same or gain weight eating that little.

Kudos to you for making a change in your lifestyle! That is the first step and can be the hardest.

Hang in there and just know we are all here for you!
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Don't give up!

^^ Agreed... 1200 cals/day is bare minimum so you probably need more around 1400-1500/day. You can use MFP to setup your goal and it will tell you a healthy calorie range to be in based on your current weight/activity level and goals. I know its frustrating - but it does get better :) You are making some amazing changes already - keep it up!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    You mentioned that you document every thing that goes in your mouth, but are you also weighing and measuring all your food? Also, I agree with the other posters that say you're not eating enough.
  • deniseclayton0313
    Options
    NEVER eat less than 1200 calories. I know it sucks when you really want to lose weight and it seems like the obvious choice to cut maxim amount of calories but it simply will not work. Also make sure that if you decide to only eat 1200 calories that they are net calories and not total calories.
    Good luck with it :)
  • bpswife263
    bpswife263 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I understand it can be very frustrating at times when you think your doing everything right but your still not dropping the weight off like you want to. I have lost 27 pounds in 9 weeks and still dropping weight. I walk at least an hour a day, drink lots of water, no sweets at all, nothing fried everything baked or grilled ... maybe it's the smaller things your missing like 120 calories for just 2 tbs of ranch dressing on your salad vs. 20 calories for 2 tbs for the fat free ranch dressing.. Maybe a medical thing, have you talked to your doctor? People who have thiroid problems tend to gain weight even if they are trying to keep it off.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I also think you are eating too little. Google "TDEE calculator" and figure out your TDEE. Then, figure out what a 20% deficit is by multiplying the number by 0.8. That should be your calorie goal - I think you will find it is WAY higher than 1,200. You are undereating so your body is desperately clinging to that weight.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    It's probably food related - MFP started me at 1200 cals (sedentary, 5'5 140lbs starting). I was STARVING. Upped to 1300 cals, plateaued for 4 weeks. Now up to 1400-1500 a day, and i'm losing again. Also got a FitBit which has helped TREMENDOUSLY, since MFP exercises are WAY off on calorie counts. I walk as well, and sometimes i'll add in some skipping or light jogging to get some extra calories burned.

The key is if you're hungry, EAT. You can always work it off later. You need to find what calorie counts work for you. Even at 1400-1500 Some days I eat a lot more, depending on how hungry i am. But I am still losing.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    as every one else says, may be you need to eat a little more. Don't be hard on yourself. We can read you are making a big effort and this is such a very big change for you. Give yourself credit for sticking with it. At the end of my day I look at the balance of calories I have eaten to seen how they are balanced. I try to make sure I have a good protein level (it can be vegetable or meat) and don't worry too much about the others as long I am around the level of calories. I should be.

for the first time I put in some exercise today and surprisingly I was allowed an extra 390 calories. Are you registering your walks. On the principal exercise equals calories consumed then this eat back idea might be what you kneed.

all the best

k
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: I wonder if you took your measurements waist, hips, thighs-you'd see a loss of inches.
    You seem to be doing everything right-keep going.
    Are you eating enough calories? Who knows-Are you fammished , sluggish, irritable each day?
    Or is each day tollerable and interesting because you are eating less but right?
    Sometimes the scale doesn't move-but how are your clothes feeling? This is the best indication of weight loss.
    Please keep going forward!
    Best Regards!
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 207. The MFP calculator also put me at 1200 which leaves me hungry IF I make bad choices. I was estimating food at first and after I got a food scale, I realized how far off I was. Weigh and measure everything. Eat back your exercise calories. Have patience.
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you have any history of issues with your thyroid? Metabolism? etc. If none of the above, could be your not eating the right foods, or your eating them at the wrong times. I went about 3 months without losing more than a lb, and I'd gain that pound back just as quickly. Your body could just be getting adjusted to a new lifestyle as well. Patience, I know its super hard, but patience, support, and determination will work.