Pain in the back of my left arm above the elbow?

Options
Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of doing a 7-day conditioning workout found here:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/conditioning-workout-for-women.html

And I did Workout A (which is essentially all weights) on Saturday. I got my 45mins of cardio in on Sunday and felt fantastic. However, today, the back of my right arm a few inches above the elbow is in quite a bit of pain. It feels tight when I move it and is tender to touch. I don't want to miss out on Workout B - which also contains weights - but I don't want to strain my arm. Is this kind of pain normal? Will I be okay to do my weights today? I hate taking rest days but I'll do it if I'm running the risk of injury. I've done weights before but maybe I need to drink more water before my workout today?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I had the same problem (but with my right arm) after I initially decided to play Xbox Sports Kinect with 3 lbs. weights. After a few days, it got better and now there's no problem at all! :happy: I never saw a doctor (but if you feel as though you need to, I encourage it) because I'm a hypochondriac and I'd be at the doctor all the time if I went every time I was "hurt." Perhaps you just pulled a muscle (http://www.ehow.com/about_5047382_signs-symptoms-pulled-muscle-arm.html)?

Edited to add link!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    muscle soreness is normal and can last up to a few days after the workout, especially when it's a new workout. If you can push through it sometimes that helps, but there is a fine line between actual pain/injury and just being sore. Listen to your body.

Drinking lots of water every day is important. I would go ahead and do your workout today but maybe use a lower weight when doing tricep work if it's too sore to use your regular weight. Again, listen to your body and make any necessary adjustments. You should be fine.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Perhaps golfer's elbow? It can happen during lifting. Does it hurt to squeeze a ball or wring out clothes?
  • anabita15
    anabita15 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Perhaps golfer's elbow? It can happen during lifting. Does it hurt to squeeze a ball or wring out clothes?

No, it hurts when I make a curling motion or stretch out my arm!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    Sounds like a sore tricep to me.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options

My thoughts exactly. It might be a good idea to rest a day or two to allow the muscles time to repair, especially if this is a new workout for you, OP.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Stretch it out and keep it moving. I get these randonm spot muscle pains from time to time and my trainer always gives me this advice. If you can push through the pain on your next workout (assumming you haven't actually injured anything), you'll thank yourself for it later.
  • anabita15
    Options

My thoughts exactly. It might be a good idea to rest a day or two to allow the muscles time to repair, especially if this is a new workout for you, OP.

This will be the 2nd day I haven't done any weights. I ate quite a bit of meat yesterday, so would the protein maybe help in preventing injury today? Or should I just play it safe and not do it at all? It's not a new workout to me in terms of the motions; it's just more reps than I'm used to.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    If you can still move and are not in excruciating pain, I would push through it. But only you know what your body can handle. Don't use soreness as an excuse to skip workouts though - you will be sore from time to time, some more than others. As long as you're not injured you should be fine.
  • anabita15
    Options
    If you can still move and are not in excruciating pain, I would push through it. But only you know what your body can handle. Don't use soreness as an excuse to skip workouts though - you will be sore from time to time, some more than others. As long as you're not injured you should be fine.

Excellent, thanks :) I don't plan on making excuses ;) I don't wanna hurt myself either though! I'll push through it!!
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sounds like soreness to me! When I started lifting (a few months ago) I was sore for a whole weekend because my body wasn't used to it. However, if you feel very bad you should probably rest for a day or two. I usually keep it going through the pain, it actually makes the soreness go away. I just do weights on M T W so there is a break in between to let the muscles recover.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said it was a sore tricep.

Be sure to drink lots of water and be cautious when doing any tricep exercise.

It could also help to give it a massage before/after workout. If you do be sure to dig into the muscle when you rub it, not too much, but it should be uncomfortable- that means you're really getting the muscle and it can help loosen it up.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options

This will be the 2nd day I haven't done any weights. I ate quite a bit of meat yesterday, so would the protein maybe help in preventing injury today? Or should I just play it safe and not do it at all? It's not a new workout to me in terms of the motions; it's just more reps than I'm used to.

Personally speaking, when I'm sore after a new workout I like to wait until I'm 100% before trying again, as I've really hurt myself from trying to slog through while sore. But be sure you warm up well, and stretch well afterwards, and I've found that extra gentle stretching before bedtime helps a lot with soreness the next day. I can't answer the protein question as to how helpful consuming extra protein is, but I've also found that I crave it after an especially vigorous weight workout (not so much with cardio, just weights). Listen to your body and do what feels best for you. :)