Retraining my brain- meat/starch/veggie

Options
I grew up eating a very typical midwestern diet- every meal needing a meat/starch/veggie. I'm working on my macros and this model is really hurting me with regards to carbs. I'm realizing that I really CAN'T eat a starch with EVERY meal and be within my ideal macros.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any good side dish suggestions to replace the starch? I'm really into rice but it pushes me into the 50-55% range of carbs every day. I just can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm missing something if there isn't potato/rice/bread on my plate. :(

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My laziness made me kick some of the starch. I just don't feel like preparing three things, so I skip the starch. xD I still eat a lot of carbs, but not nearly as much as I used to, proportionally.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Instead of a starch add another vegetable or fruit. Either one would still be lower in calories than a serving of "starch".
  • Dharmafor1
    Dharmafor1 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've really been limiting grains. I'll use either cous cous or wild rice rice but limit it to no more than 1/2 cup serving (about 85 calories and 18 carb grams) once per day. It still pushes my carbs pretty high so I'm holding back on it until I'm at a maintenance stage. I'm getting a lot of carbs from in season fresh fruit so that doesnt help either. You'll have to experiment with serving size to see how it will affect you.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was raised this way too. A meal isn't meal without the starch (and bread, but that's another story). I just started making more veggies. I'll have some BBQ chicken breast and 8 asparagus spears instead of 4. It's not easy to get your brain around it at first, and I still wake up "feeling hungry" sometimes. but it gets easier.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a Chinese household, rice or noodles are a staple with every meal...actually i'd say growing up 70% of my calories were probably from processed or enriched carbs. In my later highschool and early college years, along with the beer that is implied in college, it really took a toll...whereas before it really didnt. At first I really jumped hard on the bandwagon about starches or any carb being the reason or root cause. Until I realized that there was a distinct difference in my activity levels.

As a kid that was involved in many sports and always outdoors, I processed carbs pretty well. As a young adult, gaming, drinking beer, and studying for most of the day, I didn't really process them at all. It's really easy to say..."carbs or fat is the reason I'm getting fat". But perhaps it would be worthwhile to ask yourself what else about you has changed?

Now, some 10 years later, I make it a point to eat starches or sugars with every meal. Sometimes I even cram them down for fear I didn't get enough. I've adopted the kind of lifestyle that not only requires starches regularly, but would probably be unsustainable without them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just eat a smaller portion of the starch. If you normally eat 1 cup of rice per meal, lower to 1/2 cup.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I eat smaller portions of starch than I used to, but I still eat them.

Usually I go for potatoes (potassium yay) but since I'm visiting family I've been having a lot of my mother's bread.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of going cold turkey with something that you're so used to, why not try cutting the amount you put on your plate and gradually decrease what you have. For a lot of people cold turkey just ends in binges on the things they've been cutting out so doing it gradually might help re-train your brain as to what you actually need. You could also replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash which are both much tastier anyway, white pasta with wholewheat etc. Small changes are much more likely to stick in the long run :-)
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa instead of rice. It's not bad, and the texture is similar to rice. Maybe have a sweet potato instead of a white potato....
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Is Quinoa not a starch? What is it? Hmmm

Good point about portions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Quinoa is a non-cereal grain, similar to wild rice. It has a higher protein content than most cereal grains.

ETA: quinoa doesn't taste like wild rice, I just meant that it's similar in that they are both seeds from non-cereal grains.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Quinoa is a non-cereal grain, similar to wild rice. It has a higher protein content than most cereal grains.

ETA: quinoa doesn't taste like wild rice, I just meant that it's similar in that they are both seeds from non-cereal grains.

Cool. I like quinoa, but I always assumed it was pretty much the same as rice. Score!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    LIke some of these Post-ers, I add another fruit or veggie. Typical meal is meat, salad, 1/2 avocado (or cantelope, or corn on the cob...). I do love bread though, so occasionally I pick up some good bread from a local bakery.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Well, everybody loves mashed cauliflower here - and it is pretty good I do admit. I have also had to adjust to a low-starch lifestyle. It's easier with one-pot meals and casseroles. Rice is a treat for me now - in fact, I usually make it plain with just butter to enjoy every bite! Also, consider pseudo grains like quinoa and kasha (buckwheat) which have a better nutritional profile than rice or potatoes.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think you've just got to do it long enough that it feels normal to not have it. I've cut out grains and starchy vegetables (potatoes/corn/etc.) completely and it seems weird at first, but now I don't even notice it. I just double up the veggies. And it's easy to do even when you eat out - order fish or whatever, and ask to sub the rice or potato for an extra serving of steamed veggies.

At the time that I started, I really craved bread and starchy things, but after 2 months or so I have virtually no interest in either. My husband says the same thing you're saying when I cook "where's the rest of it", but if I have a huge plate of green beans and a steak, I'm full and that's all I need. And he's never tried cutting back on starches/grains/etc. so he can't imagine it. I don't know what else to say about it though other than I promise if you stick with it long enough it will become your new normal.
  • cordeliaflyte
    Options
    How do you guys track "starchy" vs. "non-starchy" carbs using MFP? It doesn't differentiate between types of carbs as far as I can tell, which is frustrating me at the moment!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I replaced my big-ticket starch items with whole-grain, lower-cal versions. Sandwich bread became whole-wheat sandwich thins or bagel thins; giant tortillas became wholemeal wraps with flax; dense bagels became low-cal whole-grain English muffins.

Next, I've been replacing my "starch calories" with moderate amounts of healthy, satiating fats -- instead of that 200-calorie white roll I'll have an avocado half somewhere in my meal; instead of a big bowl of rice (300 cal, easy) I'll have a giant salad with yogurt dressing or olive oil; instead of a sandwich on thick bread I'll have smoked salmon on crackers; instead of a cup of mashed potatoes I'll have a handful of olives; instead of a big pasta bowl I'll have a cup of steamed green beans dressed with pesto and a little Parmesan. You don't get the same volume by any means, but you feel so satisfied and happy that it doesn't really matter.

I also tend to use dark (usually) leafy greens to round out pretty much any meal. Again, where I'd have a heap of rice I'll have a cup of greens; where I'd have a buttermilk biscuit I'll have a mess of wilted spinach/mushrooms; where I'd have a slice of bread I'll have rolls or zucchini slices . Whatever works.

(Edited to fix "English muggins." Bless my soul.)
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I refuse! LOL! I'm eating smaller portions of starches instead. I don't know what your macro's are set to but I go by MFP default which is about 55% carbs. Fine by me!

You can make pasta with spaghetti squash instead of noodles. It's so easy! Just cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and gunk, and put in the oven at 350 for 1 hour with a little water in a baking dish (inside of squash facing down). Then scoop it out onto a plate and put sauce on top!

Also we make a big salad with avocado for dressing, you can add fish and whatever veggies.