Plateau HELL!

Options
Hello MFP friends,

So I have reached the halfway mark to my goal weight of 155lbs but i have been stuck on this miserable plateau for 3 weeks! I tried changing up my workout routine where now i am doing aerobics on Monday and Wednesdays and running 2 miles on my lunch break Tuesday and Thursdays.

My food intake is around 1300 cals/day! I feel so stuck! I don't know what else to do but I am losing focus and feel in a bit of a slump. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Are you having a higher cal day with some fats and sugars and junk every now and then?Sounds like what you need to me,if you are then maybe a completely different work out routine.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public, just so we can see what you've been eating, and maybe offer up some tips? Are you eating your exercise calories? What about your water intake? Or fiber?
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am stuck at my 2nd plateau and it really is demoralizing....but stick at it!!! You will break out of it! Increase your water, have a day of eating too many calories and try and alter your exercise routine!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    it is hard to give you advice without seeing your food and exercise diary. But stick with it , it may take awhile but you can do it. Just dont give up. try changing things up
  • Green_Chick
    Options
    I plateau'd right from the start- it took 4 weeks before I saw anything and that was with 1200 cals a day and 4-5 varied workouts a week including swimming and weight training. I had a word with one of the trainers in the gym and he realised right away what I needed- high-intensity interval training- bike, rowing and treadmill! Warm up on each for about 5 minutes, then 30 seconds to a minute of hard sprint at an increased resistance, then a two minute rest before going again... and again... and again... and again... and again. Aim for five! It was hard going at first, but as I had a good level of fitness already, it was just the kick start my metabolism needed. Tonight I've introduced the elliptical cross trainer into the mix and though I planned to use as a 15 minute cool down, I got bored and ended up doing intervals on that as well.

Don't give up- I was soooooo ready to crawl into a bag of kettle chips when the scales showed no improvement after the first two weeks of trying so hard. Have a chat with someone in your gym, someone who might be able to help you revise your program.

Also, I recommend having a body fat analysis done. Though the scales showed no real improvement for me, my body fat had decreased from 38% to 32% in 4 weeks. All sorts of amazing things might be going on under the surface! Again, my friendly gym guy helped me with this and the equipment is common place.

Good luck!

T.x
  • becca0wnz
    becca0wnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tex, I must admit i have fallen to the dreaded 7-eleven coke slurpee 3 weekends in a row ( a small @ 177 cals, but TONS of sugar). So yes, i have been taking in more sugar than usual. As for fat intake, i dont think it has fluctuated much but I have been eating later at night. Maybe instead of eating so late (9pm or so) i should make time to eat dinner before class?

I dont blog my food diary so much on the weekends but have made it public. WAAHHHH!!
  • tina_011794
    Options
    Maybe it is that you are eating more than you assume you are eating. Everyone's body is different and needs different things. Maybe you should try changing you protein, fat, and carb ratios, until you find what works for your body. The important part is don't give up, fight through it, it will come off!!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Seems like I read that interval walking (fast then slow alternated) helped break a plateau.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    tex, I must admit i have fallen to the dreaded 7-eleven coke slurpee 3 weekends in a row ( a small @ 177 cals, but TONS of sugar). So yes, i have been taking in more sugar than usual. As for fat intake, i dont think it has fluctuated much but I have been eating later at night. Maybe instead of eating so late (9pm or so) i should make time to eat dinner before class?

I dont blog my food diary so much on the weekends but have made it public. WAAHHHH!!

I may be wrong but don't think so,lol .Try not eating after 7:30 pm and up your water intake a little bit ,specially at night.

Let me know how a week of this works out for you.