Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Kale?

howardheilweil
howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
I bought some kale on a whim this weekend and am now not really sure what to do with it... Any suggestions?

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    i made a kale and strawberry salad the other night. sprinkled some slivered almonds and made a vinegarette. scrumptious. some folks around here have successfully made kale chips too (i've attempted--and failed--twice).

I LOVE KALE.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    battered and fried it tastes passable
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Feed it to an iguana.

I think some people use kale to make smoothies.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    YUM!!!!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    I eat alot of kale, usually with white beans and turkey sausage. It's quite a "meaty" veggie. especially the dinosaur variety, so it goes well with earthy accompaniments like portobello mushrooms, beans, chickpeas, lentils and the like.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Bleh! Don't use it to make a smoothie! I did that once (with my first encounter with kale) and I haven't touched the stuff since.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!

^^ This. Spread the kale out after tossing it with the olive oil. I add some dulse, and cayenne pepper as well. I'd recommend a parchment paper over the baking sheet.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Use it to make chips! A poster above mentioned how to make kale chips in the oven. I use a dehydrator for mine but if you make some in the oven check the kale often as it can burn easily.

I love sprinkling some oil on the washed and chopped up kale (remove the stem), some pepper and nutritional yeast than bake or dehydrate. Amazing!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    I have only used it in soups.
  • Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!
    I disagree with this. But I do find it tastes like a nicely roasted Brussels sprout, so.. cheers!
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Sausage and Kale soup
    1 lb sausage (italian, pork.... whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    A few slices of bacon (chopped) --optional--
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    10 - 12 cups broth (made with boullon is fine)
    1 lb potatoes (sliced in bits, chunks, slices... whatever)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bunch kale leaves (chopped)
    salt, pepper, oregano, thyme (all to taste)

brown sausage, bacon, garlic, and some onion
    add broth and boil
    add potatoes and cook until tender
    mush potatoes a bit
    add spices to taste
    add kale and heat through
    add cream and heat through

DELICIOUS!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    my boyfriend throws it into his smoothies when he blends them in a blender.... cant taste it at all over the fruit.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    bump....i need lots of recipes on how to cook kale.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    A few ways I regularly use kale:

-homemade kale chips
    -juice it (especially in my “Green Lemonade”)
    -add to smoothies
    -add to salad
    -add to soups

Kale is very good for you. It takes a little getting used to if you eat it, especially raw, but it’s worth it. I really love kale chips, and I’ve gotten my coworkers hooked on them, too.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Kale is extremely nutritious and versatile! You can use it any way you would spinach or any other dark green. It has a mild flavor and holds up well in casseroles and soups, but is also good raw in a salad or smoothie. Try it like this- http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/braised-kale-with-bacon-cider-10000000577156/
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    i REALLY prefer my kale cooked. cut it into strips and boil it.
    I have also made a cole-slaw style vinegar salad with kale, and that was ok, but it tases really "healthy"

I love tossing it into stews, curries, etc.

I put it in my smoothies, but i prefer spinach. If you don't like green smoothies, just don't go there.

I will sometimes saute it with onions and scramble an egg into it.

Kale chips are a favorite for a lot of people, but i just found them to be more work than they were worth, but i burned my arm badly making them, so i may just be biased