Have you given up Diet Soda?

Options
So I do get my water in. I was a struggle at first but now if I drink it Ice Cold and get it all in when I wake up through about 10 am, I was allowing myself diet soda's until I Hit the gym and then back to water. I have not only stalled, I have gone up a few lbs. I sat crying Saturday asking how does this happen when I hit my calories (I don't log religiously on here but I do in a journal I keep so sorry you wont be able to check out my food diary much) and I am beyond dedicated to my exercise. I work out 60-90 minutes 6x a week. NOW that being said there are days when I was not hitting 1350 calories and I was under. My defense to that is I am short, only 5 feet tall and just find it difficult to eat that much food.

getting back to my original question, Do you still drink Diet Soda? Is it that bad? Can it prevent weight loss?

My husband is SWEARING that's my problem. that I drink 3-4 diet soda's a day.

so since Friday Night I have not had one and I also have not weighed myself because A) I dont want to hear him say "I TOLD YOU SO" and B) I have been feeling quite bloated from I think eating the same thing over and over and over and over again and I am afraid to get on the scale.

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Nope!! Tried it for about a week and then realized there is nothing wrong with diet soda!!! The only thing wrong with it is some people react to the fake sugar as if it is a real sugar which can be a problem for some.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think there's more at hand than diet soda. I don't think your body is getting enough calories on a regular basis considering how much you workout and mentioning that you're not even hitting the 1,350 sometimes. Usually I'll say that you may be retaining water, but in this case, you may be retaining...diet soda.

Edit: To elaborate, the same thing would happen if you weren't drinking so much diet soda, lol. I think the worst the diet soda would do is make you crave other sweet foods, but since you say you're not hitting 1,350 sometimes, that's obviously not happening.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    to answer you question, yes I have given up diet soda!

I used to drink it all the time but I noticed I always felt bloated and I just decided it was obviously making me feel gross, even with the 0 calories, so I stopped. I do have an occasional can with my lunch if im out but aside from that I just do the water. Good luck on ur journey.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I still drink both regular and diet soda's. I just don't drink as much soda as I used to.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight drinking 5+ cans of diet soda a day. However, I did cut it totally out a few weeks ago, because I was tired of being dependent on caffeine for energy/good mood. Now I'm totally caffeine free and feel great, after a very rough week of detoxing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda, but it has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Hell, no. I don't drink it as often, but no way will I give it up ( or anything else I like).
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up completely, but I try to limit it to one, once or twice a week if I even want it at all. It may not hinder weightloss, but it can make you retain water weight and can affect your cravings and appetite. Overall, it's pretty chemical and unnatural and doesn't have any positive, nutritional value. People's bodies respond differently to things, so you have to figure out how your body processes it. My advice is to give up artificial sweeteners for a month and see how you feel. I switched to tea for a cleanse, and afterward chemical-ridden diet soda ceased to be as appetizing.
  • HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1 can of Diet Coke a day on weekdays now. I wouldn't attribute any weight loss to decreasing the amount I drink, but I have noticed I snack less now
  • Angel4ever44
    Angel4ever44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink it every now and again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's usually going to be anecdotes that vie for not drinking diet soda while trying to lose weight. If it comforts you, I've drank diet soda for over 25 years and have stayed well within my weight give or take 20lbs (I bulk up every year).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Diet soda helps with my sugar cravings
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nope - but I don't drink that much of it. I do prefer still water with natural fruit flavors though.
    I don't think there is much truth in the "diet soda is bad for you" if you moderate it, as you do with all your intake - OK it has aspartame and that's probably not good in excess, but so have a lot of other things.
    I read your hubby "swears" its responsible for your lack of weight loss, but is he a nutritionist or has he just gleaned that from
    www.crap.com?????
    We all believe here that if it fits your macros, then have it - but moderate it. I doubt your 3 cans per day is solely responsible, but if you cut it out and do nothing different and you lose weight, then you may have an allergy to aspartame, but personally, I doubt it.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    Nope!! Tried it for about a week and then realized there is nothing wrong with diet soda!!! The only thing wrong with it is some people react to the fake sugar as if it is a real sugar which can be a problem for some.

How did you "realize" that?

From a caloric/weight loss perspective, probably not, but artificial sweeteners isn't the greatest thing for your body, still...

OP: I've almost given it up. I drink it occasionally if I'm allowing myself some crisps (HAVE to drink soda to that). Otherwise I've gone from drinking it daily to a couple times a month, max. I drink mostly water and tea (herbal/rooibos/green/white). Some fizzy water at times, and coffee in the AM.
    I'm MUCH less bloated in general now, and my stomach is generally feeling much better, too.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I gave it up but it was a person choice. Though I used to drink a lot of soda/ selzter water - I love that stuff. The only issue may be with sodium - too much of it therefore some water retention and some slight water weight. But weight gain can be so many things and if it disappears as quickly as it came on I wouldnt worry too much about it - it could be water, sodium, 'waste', lady time o'da months, etc.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Pepsi max and green tea. I drink a can of Pepsi max daily.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with diet soda is that if I have too much of it.. I wont drink my water. So I have to make sure I replace each 8 oz of soda I drink with an additional 8 oz of water. I dont drink as much diet soda as I used to. Maybe 2-3 a week... and for me it wasnt giving up the caffiene, it was the aspertame that was affecting my body negatively.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's full of chemicals. I guess it's up to you if you want to drink that junk.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with diet soda is that if I have too much of it.. I wont drink my water. So I have to make sure I replace each 8 oz of soda I drink with an additional 8 oz of water. I dont drink as much diet soda as I used to. Maybe 2-3 a week... and for me it wasnt giving up the caffiene, it was the aspertame that was affecting my body negatively.

I don't have the exact number but carbonated water is the 1st ingredient listed. That means water is the largest by % ingredient in diet soda. At least in the diet pepsi I'm looking at
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I don't have the exact number but carbonated water is the 1st ingredient listed. That means water is the largest by % ingredient in diet soda. At least in the diet pepsi I'm looking at

I didn't say it wasn't. I just said this is what I do for me because I get very easily dehydrated. I actually work for Pepsi so I am very aware of what's in it. Im drinking one right now. :bigsmile: I heart diet pepsi.