Homemade Cake Batter HIGH PROTEIN shake for under a dollar

Options
jbshaban
jbshaban Posts: 6
21.8 grams of protein and 9.3 grams of fiber!

I've put together a recipe for a high protein shake that costs me 91 cents per shake. I really needed to find an inexpensive alternative to a MRP. As long as I'm full I think I can stay on a diet. I've put together some ingredients that you find in a prepackaged powder along with a naughty ingredient. But the taste is spectacular. My daughter and I are drinking two a day and we shall see how this next week's weigh in looks.

The ingredients:

Milk - Fresh, full of protein, non-fat, 19 cents per 8 oz.

Chia Seeds - I put mine in my coffee grinder, but totally optional. This will keep you full for hours. Drink plenty of water as it will expand in your stomach and keep you full. One bag for ten dollars in the organic aisle of the supermarket, 29 cents per tablespoon

Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder - Protein and Fiber, $10.99 a bag, 17 cents a tablespoon

Bob's Red Mill TVP - Defatted Soy Protein powder, $3.49 a bag, 16 cents for two tablespoons

Yellow Cake Mix - Amazing Flavor, I've tried the other flavors, they are just meh. Yes, it's got sugar and calories, but also a flavor that will keep you going.

The Recipe:

1 cup nonfat milk
2 T. TVP
1 T. Hemp Protein Powder
1 T. Chia Seeds
1/4 cup (or 4 T.) yellow cake mix
Ice

Put first four ingredients in blender. Blend for a minute (until it looks smooth) and let it sit for five minutes if you can to reconstitute the TVP. Add the cake mix and blend. Add about 1 cup, more or less, of ice and blend for another minute. Enjoy!

The nutritional info:

Ingredient, Cost, Calories, Protein , Fiber, Fat, Sugar
8 oz. Milk .19 90 9 g 0 g 0 12
2 T. TVP .16 40 6 g 2 g 0 3
1 T. Hemp Protein Powder .17 25 3 g 1.5 g 1.5 1
1 T. Chia Seed .29 60 3 g 5 g 4.5 g 0 g
¼ cup Yellow Cake Mix .10 127 .8 g .8 g 3.2 14.4 g
Totals .91, 342 21.8, 9.3, 9.2, 30.4

If I am losing weight while drinking these for two of my meals, I think I'll keep the recipe. Otherwise, I'll be looking for ways to keep it tasty while keeping the healthy proteins and fiber and cleaning up those sugars. This is meant to be totally a powdered recipe, so I can keep using it on the go.

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    my protein shakes are 40+g protein per shake. this sounds good, but 20g isn't really "high." a serving of chicken has more protein than that.
  • jbshaban
    Options
    Wow, 40 is definitely a high protein shake. The labels I have seen are anywhere from 15 to 30. And all of these shakes are in the range of $2.00 to $5.00(yikes) a shake.

You are definitely right about the chicken, and I've tried eating tuna in the morning but I'm left hungry and craving something sweet.

Price is a major factor for me, as is finding something that I can actually do on a daily basis. So to get two shakes that can each add 21.8 g protein helps me to get my protein up. As you can see, I can't "shake" the cake. I have an all too easy time getting simple carbs in. I've got a family of 8 to feed on a $200.00 a week budget so I'm trying to work some affordable options in there while getting one meal a day with some real chicken or meat.

Thanks for commenting. I definitely agree about getting high protein from better sources. This shake is for the two meals that I've got to get in without much time to prepare.
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    check out a whey protein powder, you'll get more bang for your buck. i can't tell if you're vegan or not because the tvp and hemp protein conflict with the milk - assuming that's nonfat dairy milk. i get my protein powder from walmart, it's $0.60/serving for 30g protein, and then between the milk, peanut butter, and chia seeds i add, it's actually close to 50g/shake. even if you knocked it down to just milk and powder, it would still be 40+g/shake and then definitely under $1 each. the peanut butter is probably the most expensive component haha..

i totally understand the need for something sweet, my current shake of choice is seriously like eating a blended bag of reese's pieces and that's exactly why i drink it. you might want to play around with different supplement combinations, etc. best of luck on your shake quest :)
  • jbshaban
    Options
    Thank you! No I'm not a vegan, but I've never been a milk drinker other than flavoring it up. I've had whey protein in the past and didn't care much for it. Perhaps I'll give it another try. I'll try some shakes like you've been making. Can you give me an example of a peanut butter chocolate one with amounts of ingredients? What do you sweeten with?
  • jbshaban
    Options
    And luckily I always stock up on peanut butter with three school age kids. :smile:
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    my shake is listed in my diary under breakfast, broken down by ingredients. i don't sweeten my shakes, because i use chocolate flavored protein powder and peanut butter.

1c 1% milk (1% is my preference, i think fat free would probably be fine!)
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder

i blend all of that, and then dump in 1 tbsp chia seeds. i stick it in the fridge for 5 minutes or so to let it thicken up a bit and then devour.

no sweetener needed! my diary is open if you'd like to check out the macro totals :)
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Here's my standy-by:

Scoop vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
    Banana
    Ice
    Some water
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    Fat free plain Greek yogurt 1/2 cup
    Vanilla extract
    Blend into smoothie
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There is protein in hemp??? :drinker:
  • yacapraro5
    yacapraro5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump these sound awesome! especially the one with a banana!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I just started adding fresh strawberries to a strawberry flavored shake powder. 1 cup strawberries, 1 scoop protein powder, 8 oz water. Blend and drink. Simple, easy, and almost taste like a smoothie! I've thought about adding an egg to it... may play around with that idea this weekend... Good luck!
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The birthday cake one I know goes something like this:

1/4 c. cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (or cake batter flavored)
    2 tbsp sugar free instant vanilla pudding
    a couple drops almond extract
    a packet of the sweetener of your choice
    a splash of water
    some ice cubes
    pinch of xantham gum
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My faves are cheap, easy and tasty. EAS AdvantEdge premixed shakes. High protein, low carb/low sugar. ready to drink and I buy them by the case at Sam's club for around $1 each. And only 100 calories for 17g protein. No muss no fuss.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I do the Whey by body fortress @ Walmart with unsweetend vanilla almond milk.

1.5 scoop is 39g of protien & 150 calories
    16 oz of Almond Milk is 2g of protien & 60 calories

So I am over 40g on one shake and just at about 200 cal

I will have to try the chia seeds though sounds interesting....

I only drink my shakes after lifting, I do not drink them as a MRP.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump!!!! =)
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also, an idea for all of you Peanut Butter lovers out there..............try PB2. It's AMAZING in shakes!!!!!!!
    Less fat and calories but all the yummy flavor!!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat/snack (every 3 hours) 5 x a day and 'try' to get 19g Carbs, 7g Fat, and 26g protein at each setting. So I love the Six Star triple chocolate elite whey protein powder from Walmart for the macro balance. In a pinch I can have it with just water - its that good and chocolatey. It's better with even a half cup of milk, and over the top with sugar free/fat/free pudding mix! The pudding makes it thick. Any flavor... I've added caramel extract (yum) or banana, mint, any extract really...

On a daily basis my family and I have evening shakes with light vanilla soy milk, butterscotch pudding powder, and ices cubes in the blender... We are addicted!!!

Jello Fat/Sugar Free Pudding Powder - Butterscotch, 1 Tsp. Powder Cal 25 Carb 6g Fat 0g Pro 0g
    Six Star (Walmart - Elite Series Triple Chocolate Whey Protein Plus, 1 Scoop (42g) Cal 170 Carb 8g Fat 2g Pro 30g
    Soy Milk Great Value - Light Vanilla Soy Milk 240ml (8 oz) Organic Cal 40 Carb 5g Fat 1g Pro 3g

Calories 235
    Carb 19g
    Fat 3g
    Protein 33g
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    I got my whey protein powder from complete nutrition when it was on a super sale. I use it in my baking. It won't add alot of protein, but when it's added to something already healthy and it tastes good, it works great. otherwise. the stuff makes me gag.
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jbshaban
    Options
    That sounds worth a try. Thanks!