Two Jillian Michaels DVD... Only One Purchase!

Hey All!

I've been looking online at Jillian Michaels multi-DVD packs, after hearing so many good things about her. I'm debating which one I should buy.

Do I pick....?

Option 1 with:
- 30 Day Shred
- No More Trouble Zones
- Banish Fat
- Six Week Six Pack

OR

Option 2 with:
- Ripped in 30
- Killer Buns & Thighs
- Extreme Shed & Shred

... In terms of my goals, I want something that I won't get bored with, some cardio, and some toning work, especially for my bum! (don't own any weights apart from some 1.5kg wrist weights.) I already exercise a lot, so looking for a challenge, which I hear Jillian will give me!

Any advice which option I should choose...?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Personally, I'd go with option 1.

If you're new to Jillian or working out in general, I would recommend doing her 30 DS program first. It's what kick-started my fitness level!

No More Trouble Zones (NMTZ-toning) and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (BFBM-cardio) are kick-*kitten* workouts. Alternate those plus another 1-2 of her workouts for variety, and you'll get great results! That's what I did last month and I lost ~7lbs and inches off my waist, hips, arms, & thighs.

Make sure to take measurements!!

I've been using weights I made out of water bottles. I filled them with sand/litter/water until I reached desired weight. I painted them blue for the heck of it, and they've worked beautifully. A cheap alternative to buying weights…

Whichever option you chose, good luck and have fun with it!

*editing to add that you can find nearly all her workouts on YouTube, so you can view them before making a final decision on your purchase ;)
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks for the feedback! Good idea about YouTube, I'll certainly have a peek. Great tip on the water bottles too!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Neither, her voice drives me crazy and I hear of people injuring themselves all too often trying to keep up with her moves. How about Chalean Extreme if you want a DVD based workout - with cardio and strength? ;)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Option 1. I've got that one and it has good variety between cardio and strength.
  • victoriawil
    victoriawil Posts: 21 Member
    I hated extreme shed and shred, it was all over the place and I felt ridiculous, but Ripped in 30 is the first one I've done that gave my a toned stomach (or slightly more toned) which made me happy! I'd take Ripped in 30 over 30 day shred any day, its way more work. I combined Ripped in 30 with swimming and running, and it was ideal.
  • SRH7
    Neither, her voice drives me crazy and I hear of people injuring themselves all too often trying to keep up with her moves. How about Chalean Extreme if you want a DVD based workout - with cardio and strength? ;)

Is Chalean available in the UK? I've not had any success in finding it (the Beachbody website says it is Region 1 so doesn't tend to be sold to the UK market).
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

Try them first then decide. I don't do Jillian anymore cos for some reason I had a knee injury when I did 30DS but maybe that's just me, idk. Can't say if it was my fault or hers.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member

Is Chalean available in the UK? I've not had any success in finding it (the Beachbody website says it is Region 1 so doesn't tend to be sold to the UK market).
    Are you sure you haven't got a multi region DVD player? They will ship to the UK but remember you'll pay taxes. You could try looking on eBay but be careful as there are a lot of pirated copies out there. You can buy Turbofire from www.beachbody.co.uk
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    I'd say option 1 has the best pick of vids (altho I did like RI30), but fyi NMTZ and BFBM are entirely on yt on BeFit Lionsgate. So is 30DS L1 and 6W6P L1.

So, maybe option 2. But also, there are other JM packages that might be better as far as having vids that AREN'T online. Be sure to check e-bay for some great deals.
  • SRH7

Are you sure you haven't got a multi region DVD player? They will ship to the UK but remember you'll pay taxes. You could try looking on eBay but be careful as there are a lot of pirated copies out there. You can buy Turbofire from www.beachbody.co.uk

I am. Unfortunately no one has yet come up with a crack code for my DVDR :(
  • FromHereOnOut

I am. Unfortunately no one has yet come up with a crack code for my DVDR :(

Sometimes you can find really cheap multi-region players. The last one I got was Funai&United (or F&U...snicker..hehe) and was very cheap, all regions. It recently gave out and we need to go get another one. We sometimes keep two players (a regular one of good, long-lasting quality to use most of the time, and a cheap all region player to play our stockpile of US movies). I haven't pickd a new one up yet, but am told Carrefour might have them (if you have Carrefour where you are, you could check).
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Ahhh I was just thinking about Jillian Michaels. I have developed this pet peeve of people recommending her DVDs for beginners! ACCCK! I tried 30ds and I felt like I was going to die in less than 2 minutes into it...which lead to me never playing that dvd again. (Not saying you are a beginner) But yeah, I find jillian michaels to be very painful and not pleasant. It really is a workout that you have to force yourself to do.
  • FromHereOnOut
    I was a straight up beginner when I started 30DS and it nearly killed me too. But I just did only the best that I could and I kept going and by day 3 it got easier. I went on to finish it and Ripped in 30. I'm doing tons of workouts now.
  • SRH7
    Sometimes you can find really cheap multi-region players. The last one I got was Funai&United (or F&U...snicker..hehe) and was very cheap, all regions. It recently gave out and we need to go get another one. We sometimes keep two players (a regular one of good, long-lasting quality to use most of the time, and a cheap all region player to play our stockpile of US movies). I haven't pickd a new one up yet, but am told Carrefour might have them (if you have Carrefour where you are, you could check).

Thanks for this. I'm sure I could get a cheap one on eBay but I very rarely do exercise DVDs now. I did find the Jillian DVDs were good for getting me started a couple of years ago and I've now taken up running and weight training, which I love (highly recommend C25k for anyone who wants to try running). I occasionally still do the Jillian DVDs (No More Trouble Zones is a favourite) when the snow outside is too deep to run in ;)
  • jaz050465
    This might be useful:

Jillian Michaels' 30 day slim down

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism.

Here is what the program looks like

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES

DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
  • FromHereOnOut
    This might be useful:

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism.

DAY 7 - OFF!

DAY 14 - OFF!

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 26 - OFF!

That's great! I've never seen this before. Thank you!! Do you happen to know what 'quick trouble zones' refers to? Perhaps only some of the circuits?
  • jaz050465
    This might be useful:

DAY 7 - OFF!

DAY 14 - OFF!

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 26 - OFF!

That's great! I've never seen this before. Thank you!! Do you happen to know what 'quick trouble zones' refers to? Perhaps only some of the circuits?

Sorry- it's the standing up bits of ' No more trouble zones'.
  • FromHereOnOut
    ah-ha!!! My favorite parts, as a matter of fact! Thanks for the info!!! :flowerforyou:
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Ahhh I was just thinking about Jillian Michaels. I have developed this pet peeve of people recommending her DVDs for beginners! ACCCK! I tried 30ds and I felt like I was going to die in less than 2 minutes into it...which lead to me never playing that dvd again. (Not saying you are a beginner) But yeah, I find jillian michaels to be very painful and not pleasant. It really is a workout that you have to force yourself to do.

I agree. I've been into fitness dvds lately and seems like whenever I ask which are good for a beginner (45, about 90 lbs to loose, questionable knees) everyone recommends the 30ds or Ripped in 30, or things like p90x, turbo fire, or Insanity. Um, uh uh. I watched some of these on youtube, no way. Maybe those are good for reasonably fit average size people who just haven't put that much into exercise before. But not for me.

Two that I am really liking are Petra Kolbers cardio for beginners, and strength for beginners. The strength one pushes me a little, but I can do all the moves. If it gets too easy I can keep upping the weight. And her manner is friendly and encouraging without being over the top. The Petra cardio one is a bit dancey though, and might be hard to follow step wise for some. I also think the Leslie Sansone ones are good for cardio for real beginners (and a few that are faster too, she's got tons). She gets on my nerves sometimes with all her WOW! WEE! stuff.

As to something more structured, I've just ordered the spark people 28 day bootcamp. I previewed it a number of times and it looks doable. Looks like for a lot of moves they have someone doing an easier version and someone doing a harder version. I'll post something later after I've tried it out a while.

Also netflix has quite a few things in the DVD section. Its a good way to try them out before buying.
  • carmentownes
    carmentownes Posts: 46 Member
    I am on day 3 of Jillian Michaels and it really is hard but I make it through. It's only 27 minutes long on youtube so im assuming it has to be a little harder for that short period of time. My body does hurt..especially my feet. What keeps me going is seeing people's before and after pics of just doing it for 30 days. It's really inspiring.