Pot Luck?

Options
TeachTheGirl
TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
A friend is having a wine/pool party and would like us to bring food to contribute to a Pot Luck.

What are some of your go-to's or favorites to bring to a pot luck? Maybe even something out of the ordinary!

Go.

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Potato salad:)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Usually I take chili, but chili, wine and pool party don't mix. I'd probably make a trail mix type thing. You could put whatever you want in it from dried fruit, cereal, pretzels, etc. I'm lame and would make a quiche or take a fruit/veggie/cheese tray. My mom made this "cheesecake salad" that sounded awesome. Salads are a good idea in any form.
  • larlo74
    larlo74 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are we talking healthy or not? My grandma made a salad called 24 hour salad. A can of mandarin oranges, one can crushed pineapple (both drained), bag of shredded coconut, bag of miniature marshmallows, and a tub of sour cream. Probably puts calories off the scale, but it was a staple at most get togethers and even better the day after.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sounds dreadful, but low fat or even dry curd cottage cheese mixed with salsa. Makes a great dip for chips and tortilla strips etc., but is also good with green pepper strips, celery, cucumber, etc. Nobody will know it's diet food ;-)
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I always bring cut-out jello shots. :drinker:
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    myself ;D they can feast their eyes on THIS.

lol, no. I'm kidding. Why don't you make little tea sandwiches?
  • JenniferDomas
    JenniferDomas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This salad always goes quick when I bring it to potlucks-
    Large bag/box of Organic Spinach
    Top with:
    One can Mandarin Oranges, drained
    Sliced Strawberries, as much as you like
    Drizzle with Low fat Raspberry Vinegarette Salad dressing, about half a bottle or so.
  • healthilyeverafter13
    healthilyeverafter13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My new go-to is watermelon/blueberry "magic wands". Cut chunks of watermelon out with a star-shaped cookie cutter, put 5-10 blueberries on a skewer and top with a piece of watermelon. Voila -- yummy, healthy, and festive for this time of year. You could also bring along some fat-free Cool Whip as a good topping to go with it.

Otherwise I usually stick with something like deviled eggs because they're easier to account for. At least then I know there will be at least one thing at the potluck I can eat, haha. :)
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    In the summer my fave is watermelon bruschetta (diced watermelon, lime zest, lime juice, fresh basil)

refreshing, pretty healthy, and goes well with tortilla chips...

cut the watermelon first, let sit and drain a bit of the juice so it's not a bowl of water :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My go-to is salad, potato & egg or pasta. Big hits: taco salad, nacho dip (cream cheese, sour cream, salsa & shredded cheese) or a fruit tray with dip (cream cheese & fluff blended).
  • juliamamann
    Options
    Guacamole!!
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Funfetti dip, BLT dip or chicken wing dip are my gotos when i have to bring something.
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Home made Greek Salad, if there's nothing healthy, I can pig out on it and not be too badly off and I know exactly what's in it.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a2/7e/d9/a27ed99ad2757bd49cd08e93cc1e35d1.jpg - most amazing and delicious cucumber salsa EVER! it's a lot of chopping, but you can make it in a food processor. i use pita or falafel chips, you could even use other veggies for dipping!

or do fresh cut up veggies with hummus!!! have fun at your pool party!
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Home made rosemary and Garlic ciabatta bread and olives.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    A friend is having a wine/pool party and would like us to bring food to contribute to a Pot Luck.

What are some of your go-to's or favorites to bring to a pot luck? Maybe even something out of the ordinary!

Go.

2qia6g6.jpg
    [Source of photo: http://www.annarbor.com]
    * Brie en croute: Usually purchase 2x 2lbs Wheels of Brie Cheese + Honey + Walnuts + Dried Cranberries > Enclose brie in a puff pastry => Usually bake@friends venue. When ready, place on cheese platter with fresh apple slices(treated with lemon) and strawberries. [Excellent if paired with Brut and/or Pinot Noir]

33dwavd.jpg
    [Photo source: www.diningchicago.com]
    * Arancini: Usually two sets. Vegetarian friendly(mushrooms/squash/caramelised onions) and meat friendly(chicken/beef/lamb) and if I'm not feeling lazy seafood ~ some with cheese and some without. One must always remember to prep and take your own sauces to serve with your dishes. Baked Ravioliworks too. It's easy if you're running out of time > Purchase ready made store bought ones and pop them in the oven. Serve with a dipping sauce. [A creamy Chardonnay or the Italian Wines selections available to you would be fabulous]

**In truth, it really depends on the friend for me. If I feel that the friend is like family, I tend to go all out to help cater. If they're just acquaintances, then I would usually take something as stated or I'll order from Gelson's or Whole Foods ~ choosing platters I know I would like to eat or choices my man would likely want.