To Share Your Diary or Not to Share...

Options
When I first started with MFP and met new friends, I kept my diary hidden. One day, someone asked to show it and I was terrified for some strange reason. I guess I didn't want the world to see what I eat; however, I look at all of my friends' diaries (when I have time), so I thought it only right to share as well.

I guess I thought I'd ask--do you share your diary or keep it secret? Why did you make the decision you made?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I share it w/my MFP friends, but will admit the first time I went off the diet wagon I temporarily closed it. But then I thought it was kind of silly, because they have bad streaks too. But I don't have a lot of MFP friends, by choice.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open. It doesn't matter to me what people think of what I eat. I have at least 1800 calories a day and hit my macros, so I don't care what people think of my food choices. If I have a day where I am over, they need to get over it, cause I know that I do!

I do have one friend here on MFP that consistently eats 800ish calories a day. He'd be called out on it nearly everyday (not in a mean way, and by someone different each time). Funnily enough, that person now has a closed diary yet still finishes each day "under their calorie goal." So nothing's changed. Evidently, when you have disordered eating, you want to keep that secret... (Not that this is why everyone who has a closed diary doesn't open theirs...so don't make inferences that aren't true...)
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    No ones Business imo.
    If ppl on my FL want to know, I tell them.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed.
  • Louiseisme
    Louiseisme Posts: 73
    Options
    I have mine open to my friends...If I ask for help "Why is the scale not moving", Friends can look at my diary and make suggestions on changes I should maybe consider. I look at my friends diaries for meal and snack Ideas.
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like to see what people eat. It gives me ideas. I don't think itd be fair not to share mine.
  • stephmantie
    Options
    I'm super self conscious about what I eat. (Read my "why I'm starting" blog) so I find it very difficult to tell others everything I've consumed in a day. For myself, that is very personal and something I wish to remain private.

HOWEVER

if you feel comfortable posting your diary, go for it! As stated before, everyone slips up, so who are we to judge? In fact, sharing your diary is awesome because if you have questions about regulating what macronutrients you intake, people can tell you where specifically you need to make changes!

Keep on going girl! Good for you! Stay confident! :)
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I did have it closed but now I'm sharing it with friends.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I don't use it for EVERYTHING, so it's not accurate anyway. Plus, I'm on the Primal lifestyle and I prefer not to get comments from vegetarians and vegans about my food choices.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I used to have mine open, but had too many Judgey McJudgersons giving me unwanted and unsolicited advice. I now have mine closed, and couldn't be happier.
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    I write weird stuff in the 'notes' section and I don't want anyone to see that! so mine is default (closed)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I share my diary with my pals. It holds me accountable for what I put in my mouth. I enjoy seeing other diaries- it gives me ideas on new meals and we keep each other in check.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Closed. I keep a diary for myself and keep myself accountable. I never ask diet advice on here, if I did..then I would open it. What I am doing is working for me, so that is all that matters..I don't need a critique of it. :)
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open. I have had it open since I started. I am not a very private person. I do not want to hide what I eat from other people.
  • findingmytoes
    Options
    I keep mine closed. Not a traditional, "breakfast, lunch, dinner" kind of person. As long as I log everything in and stay under my daily goal, I'm ok with that.
  • christinealexis
    Options
    I don't mind sharing my diary. I figured if I joined this community for support then I need to be opened minded to others' advice or opinion. I think some people are afraid of being judged for their food choices. I look at it as just being honest with yourself. If you can actually see what you are putting or not putting in your body and how it is affecting your weight loss/gain, it can only help you.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Originally, I had mine closed off to others, and I was nervous about opening it up. I think I was worried that opening my diary for others to see would cause me to be dishonest about logging -- leaving out splurges and such. People always say that having it opened helps you stay accountable, but I thought just the opposite would happen. I had a rough time keeping it opened at first, and I kept changing it -- I had it opened, then exclusive to friends, then I had everyone locked out, and then exclusive again, and then opened again....I've had it open for quite a while now and it's no big deal to me anymore and I've found that I am just as honest about logging regardless of opened, closed, or exclusive -- in the end, this whole thing is for me to get healthy and lose weight so it doesn't matter what others think, but if people want to look, let them look. If I were eating in public, they could see what I was eating anyway!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I set mine up for Friends because going Private seemed (to me) like I had something to hide, but Public was too...public I guess. It makes no sense. Honestly I couldn't think of a reason anyone would WANT to look at my diary when I signed up.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    I have mine open to friends. I enjoy looking at diaries for food ideas, and people get ideas from mine. I totally understand people wanting it to be private, it can be very personal. I choose to have mine open to friends and continue to log "bad" days because for me it helps me stay on track, knowing people will be checking on me. It's definitely different for everyone and it also depends on your goals and why you use MFP. My mom is on here just to log cals, she adds no friends and keeps her diary locked and that is ok it works for her!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open to friends. Like others have said, I like sharing meal ideas. I've never had anyone critique it so far. On the rare occasion I'm a little embarrassed about something I've eaten, well that's what quick added calories are for! :)