Potassium

Hi I was just curious if anyone out there in the MFP cyber world had any suggestions on how to increase potassium WITHOUT increasing sugars? I eat about 1-3 avocados a day, snack on mushrooms, and usually have a banana with my breakfast. But unless I gorge out on bananas it seems like my potassium is still n the low side. I don't like white beans and I am staying far far away from starches. Any suggestions? Can you take a potassium supplement?

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Sugar isn't bad for you. Fruits are good eat them
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Banana carries natural sugars so I don't see why you should be worried. I don't know if oatmeal carries any K+. I think coconut water may have some. :ohwell:
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Coconut water!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Hi

I buy the "no salt" salt alternative by French foods from the grocery store. It has 650 mg per 1/4 tsp. I add it to my other drinks throughout the day . I have read you must be careful not to ingest too much as it will have adverse affects.

Hope this helps :)
  • LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Well, diabetes runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, so I am trying to stay on the lower end of my sugar intake as possible.
  • LovenderNurse
    Thank you I will try the "no salt", can I buy that from Whole Foods? And I had no idea about the coconut water! I love that stuff!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Potassium is in a LOT of foods, but it's not a requirement on food labels, and user-added entries in the MFP database are often missing that info, so we are likely getting more than what's showing in our diaries at the end of the day. I've gotten to the point of hunting around the food database to find the entries that HAVE the potassium listed as much as possible.

I got 933 (is it grams? not sure how they count it! Ha!) from my breakfast this morning, including coffee, eggs, a peach, cereal and milk.

Nuts, fruits, meats, veggies, dairy - all good sources of potassium, it's just not always listed unfortunately.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    I believe " no salt " is potassium chloride , and I don't know about whole foods carrying it. I just get mine in the regular market where the salt and spices are.

Yeah and coconut water has 600+mg per serving depending in the brand.

And yes we do get a lot from foods, the trick it to get twice as much as your sodium intake which is tough some days ...
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Potassium is very important, but taking a potassium supplement is not advised. Check out this website, it has a great chart showing potassium levels in foods.

www.krispin.com/potassm.html
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    I got 933 (is it grams? not sure how they count it! Ha!) from my breakfast this morning, including coffee, eggs, a peach, cereal and milk.

It's mg (milligrams). 933 grams would be nearly 2+ pounds. 1 lb = 453.59 grams.
  • Wooly_I_am
    Wooly_I_am Posts: 109
    SWEET POTATO!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Lots on that list are low in sugar.

Veggies have lots of potassium. There is a recipe somewhere online for a low carb potassium broth that I believe uses potato skins and tons of veggies and beef broth...the skins are alot less in sugar and carbs than the whole potato, but still high in potassium.

I use Krebs potassium-magnesium supplement 3 times a day. My doctor actually recommended it because of my workouts and diet. Really helps in a lot of areas...

If you are doing a low carb diet you must supplement potassium and if it is super low carb diet with heavy exercise you will even need to supplement sodium and magnesium as well. Do a google search on Dr Peter Attia from the Eating Academy, he explains the need for trace minerals in a low carb diet really well.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Beet greens, potatoes (maybe not for you with diabetes) and low sodium v8 are excellent sources of potassium. The v8 has some sugar, but not as much as fruits.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I take a lot for blood pressure,,, beets,celery, baked potatos,, one small banana a day,
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Potassium salt?
  • Beet greens, I had 1309mg potassium in a cup of sauteed beet greens this morning.
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Spinach, broccoli, and tomatoes are high potassium and low sugar. Chicken, fish, and turkey are relatively high (roughly 300 g for 4 oz.). Good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    A lot of foods in the MFP database, especially member-added ones, and packaged foods, don't have potassium values because it's not a requirement on labels. So, you're probably getting more than you think. Increasing fruit and vegetables is always a good way to get more. Looking at my diary, I seem to get most of mine from vegetables like broccoli and carrots, potatoes (they're an excellent source, better than bananas), Greek yoghurt, coffee, milk, homemade soup, chicken, fish, quinoa, nuts, oats etc. You can search NutritionData.com for the foods highest in potassium per 100 g serving, or per 200-calorie serving. That was a big help to me in identifying the foods highest in potassium (or anything else) that I actually like to eat. http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search
  • LovenderNurse
    Thank you all for the great information. I had no idea about the diary database being a little off, I will keep that in mind. I am definitely going to add in the coconut water, beets, fish (I need to eat more fish), quinoa.

I'll look into the nutrition data.com as well, thank you all!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Eat a lot of leafy greens, and well fresh fruit and vegetables in general. Don't worry about the sugar in fruit. You should try to avoid eating a lot of processed sugar though.

Try some recipes with white beans. I just made a great soup with cannellini beans today:

Tomato Swiss Chard Cannellini Bean Soup

Sautee 1 medium yellow onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
    Add 1 large can (32 oz) of crushed tomatoes with basil.
    Add 2- 15oz cans of cannellini beans.
    Add 1 container or 3.5 cups sausage style crumbles (I used Wegmans – Don’t Be Piggy).
    Add ½ vegetable bullion cube to 1 cup warm water and try to break up/dissolve the cube.
    Add the following spices to the water: ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 Tbsp dried parsley.
    Add the water-spice mixture to the pot and also add 2 additional cups of water .
    Add 1 bunch Red Swiss Chard or 3 cups chopped (stems trimmed off) and simmer on medium-low for about 20 minutes.