To Share Your Diary or Not to Share...

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I opened mine one day on a whim. If people want to look (a rather boring pastime I would imagine), then they are more than welcome to it.

Note: I love eggs, mangos and broccoli.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Mine was open to friends at first, then after a while I opened it to everybody. I'm older, I eat a lot, I like my treats, and I still lose weight--maybe some people will find that encouraging.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to my MFP friends and have since I started 2 weeks ago.

I'm a compulsive overeater and having someone who CAN read it (whether they ever do or not) helps me feel accountable and helps me fight off bad choices. Private would feed into the "If nobody can see it, it doesn't matter if I go ahead and eat X" insanity.

And to quote herblackwings, "Public is too public."

But as for you, do what you feel is most appropriate for now. You can always change it later.
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I too, have mine open to my MFP friends. I like the that we share our diaries and when I first started I had very little idea of what to cook as I was a basic meat and three veges cook but I have had some really good ideas to try from viewing others diaries.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to the whole world, because a. I have thick skin, b. I am smart enough to do my own thing, and c. I want people to know they can eat food they love and still lose weight.

The choice is yours and hey if it doesn't work out you can change it back :wink:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I keep mine public. If friends or friends of friends or total strangers want to see what I eat, so what? It makes no difference on what I do and it might assuage someone's curiosity or give them ideas for things to incorporate into their diets, so I see no harm.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Closed. I keep a diary for myself and keep myself accountable. I never ask diet advice on here, if I did..then I would open it. What I am doing is working for me, so that is all that matters..I don't need a critique of it. :)

TOTALLY agree..........mine's closed. Always has been, always will be.
  • ByeSwellyBelly
    Options
    I also used to feel strange about having my diary open, since I am not always a traditional eater, but when I decided to open it I actually found it to be liberating. I enjoy looking at my friend's from time to time, especially when I need some new ideas, so I figured I could do the same!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Open, because

-It makes me feel accountable
    -I look at other people's diaries for inspiration
    -MFP friends give me positive comments on either a good day oe a yummy looking day and I do the same too others!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Share with friends; closed to everyone else. But it is just for me. I don't seek any opinions. And I don't listen either. I eat enough. And I have done fine.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open to friends. Like others have said, I like sharing meal ideas. I've never had anyone critique it so far. On the rare occasion I'm a little embarrassed about something I've eaten, well that's what quick added calories are for! :)
    I've never done quick calories because I want to be accountable for my actions. Other than that, I agree with this.
  • misuzu437
    misuzu437 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to share mine. My lifestyle is very disciplined, I don't need other people in my head over what I eat. Personally I find it easier to focus on my diet without people judging what I eat.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! It 's great to hear your opinions. I first read diaries from time to time, honestly, out of curiosity; however, then I started gaining some GREAT ideas! I even added some of what I saw to my grocery list.

Of course, I also respect the privacy of others and would NEVER expect anyone to open their diary if they didn't actually want to do so.

As someone mentioned before, I feel somewhat embarrassed when people see pizza or a sleeve of chocolate chip cookies listed under my meals, but it also makes me more aware of what I consume, so, for now, I think I will keep mine open. Thank goodness no one has been negative. I think that would be a line crossed.

Again, thank you so much for answering this question!
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I keep it open, I like when people go "WTF IS UP WITH YOUR DIARY?!" shock value ;)
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I share mine. It's like an added level of accountability for me, and really I don't care all that much.

This isn't the same as a buffet line and I have worked pretty hard to get over the mental intimidation of 'everyone is staring at what the fat girl is putting on her plate' syndrome.

*as a side note, every time I saw this title I read it as Share your dairy or not...which made me wonder why you're sharing dairy unless of course it's ice cream then yes...by all means, share.*
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed but whatever I'm eating it's working lol
  • Csengure
    Csengure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed for the same reason I don't get on the scale every day; I think doing otherwise would make me obsessive to an unhealthy degree. Knowing that someone is paying attention to what I eat leads to paranoia which leads to dishonesty and general emotional grossness. No thank you.

Having said that, I eat much the same things every day and I never bother looking at anyone else's diary either. If I want recipe ideas I go scope out the "Show me your meals" thread.
  • exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i JUST switched mine from private to just friends. I don't have anything to hide, if anything I welcome tips and advice from people. It was nerve wracking but we'll see what happens.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Mine's totally public. I find it amusing to see peoples' reactions when they find out how much I eat... church potlucks are a good time. I love the looks :noway:
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I eat very healthy, I dont mind if others take a peek. :)