Adding some strength training: question

The only strength training I've been doing so far is from 30DS, but with all the cardio bashing and whatnot going on lately, I'm guessing I should probably add some more strength training.

My goals are currently set to 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. What do you recommend? More protein? Less what?

Also, can anyone recommend a program? I was thinking of doing this: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    It seems overly complicated for a beginner's programme. Starting Strength or Stronglifts are both much simpler and great for beginners (like you and me).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, or NROL4W are all popular programs for beginning lifters. One gram of protein per lb of lean body mass is a good general goal.

This post gives a good general guideline to setting your macros.

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    It seems overly complicated for a beginner's programme. Starting Strength or Stronglifts are both much simpler and great for beginners (like you and me).

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'll try out Starting Strength then :)
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, or NROL4W are all popular programs for beginning lifters. One gram of protein per lb of lean body mass is a good general goal.

I have no idea what my LBM is, though. Should I just increase my protein intake to 20% anyway?
  • SteveWhite66
    SteveWhite66 Posts: 7 Member
    The only strength training I've been doing so far is from 30DS, but with all the cardio bashing and whatnot going on lately, I'm guessing I should probably add some more strength training.

My goals are currently set to 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. What do you recommend? More protein? Less what?

Also, can anyone recommend a program? I was thinking of doing this: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • SteveWhite66
    SteveWhite66 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm trying to keep my carbs to around 40 grams per day and protein to around 180 grams per day which is tough but I get the benefits.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member

I have no idea what my LBM is, though. Should I just increase my protein intake to 20% anyway?
    Depends on what your calorie goals are. The higher they are, the lower your percent can be to still hit your protein goals. From your ticker weight and picture, I'd estimate your LBM at around 90 lbs.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'll try out Starting Strength then :)

If you have problems with Power Cleans (which a lot of people do) you could always switch them out for a rotation of pull-ups and chin-ups. Rippetoe recommends that in another book. Like this:

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member

A simple way to estimate your LBM is to use a military body fat % calculator. This uses your neck, waist, and hips size, and your weight. This one that I'm linking will tell you your LBM after you put in your measurements.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member

A simple way to estimate your LBM is to use a military body fat % calculator. This uses your neck, waist, and hips size, and your weight. This one that I'm linking will tell you your LBM after you put in your measurements.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

great site ... thank you