Jamie's Happy Cow Burgers = Really yummy veggie burgers!

Options
MissSusieQ
MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
I've made these a few times, they're great, can be cooked in a sandwich press (but watch out, you can press them pretty flat if you don't prop up the lid a bit), and fit nicely within my calorie limit.

they sound a bit lame on paper, but i swear, they're packed with tastiness!

200g frozen broad beans (i've read other places that you can substitute in peas, but i haven't tried it, and if you're worried that you dont like broad beans, don't be, they do not taste like broad beans)
400g tin of four bean mix, drained and rinsed
small bunch of fresh coriander, stalks and all
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/2 tsp dried coriander (i actually skip this out, because it's already got fresh coriander in it, but Jamie suggests it)
1 really heaped tablespoon of plain flour - i measured when i made my last batch, you want about 30g
zest of 1 lemon

bang everything into a food processor and blend. as the mix gets stickier, you'll have to scrape the sides down a few times. you want the mix to be a little bit chunky, but not too chunky, and it should stick together well.

get the mix out of the food processor and roll it onto a big log. divide the log into 4, and roll each quarter into a ball. roll thoroughly in plain flour and shape into a burger.

Jamie Oliver cooked them in a well-oiled frypan (i'm pretty sure the olive oil industry would dry up if he stopped cooking). i've cooked these in two ways - big thick burgers on a barbecue, and thinner patties in a sandwich press and both methods have been successful. the barbecue was greased a little, but the sandwich press i don't grease at all - the secret either way is to ensure the burgers are well-floured, and don't mess with them. just put them on to cook, and don't try to turn them until the underside is proper crispy.

they come in at around 140cal per burger.
I can't give you their other stats because i messed with the recipe a little this time, adding in protein powder and changing the serving size.

recently i've been eating them in a wrap with some light cream cheese and tomatoes, but they also make a seriously hearty burger in a bun with salad and cheese.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've loved nearly everything I've tried from Jamies 15 minute meals book.....except these! I found them too sloppy and flavourless. Your wrap variation sounds good!
  • jandthebops
    Options
    I've got Jamie's 15 mins meal book - must get it out for a look. These sound nice.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've loved nearly everything I've tried from Jamies 15 minute meals book.....except these! I found them too sloppy and flavourless. Your wrap variation sounds good!

funny, mine are soft, but definitely not sloppy, and are really tasty! maybe give them a bit less blitzing in the food processor?
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EGirl7
    EGirl7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    These sound great!

Realistically, though, I want to try them just based on the name. Happy Cow Burgers...what's not to love? :-)

Thanks for sharing! :-D

Emma.